Electric E-brake

Ok, how bout this.

I took the stock ebrake out of my 510. Cable was bad, wanted a floor mount. Before my ka swap I had a sentra floor mount e-brake set up and worked pretty well but not perfect.

Now the Ka shifter is in the way, and my new center console just wont accommodate a off center lever. Sooooooooo.

I was trying to think of a creative way to pull the e-brake cable remotely. Just for parking purposes, dont need e-brake slides(although they are fun!)

How bout this! Make some mounts for under the car, attach cable to this actuator, and e-brake is engaged at the flip of a switch. Good idea??

I wonder if these need constant power to hold the load or just to engage one way or the other. If so it could will drian the battery, But I think its just using power when it moves. Anyone like this idea??? I might try it.

Actuator like this(or similar)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-stroke-1-7-in-sec-12v-450lb-static-load-liner-actuator-/251103752153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a76f32fd9#ht_500wt_1416

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If left in gear appropriately car might roll 1cm and stop again...

Not if your on a real hill.

Lots of stock higher end cars use push button ebrakes.

I personally like a cable, it can fail just as easily as an electronic part but if I wanted a bunch of electronics I wouldnt own a 40yo car.

Really? I need to measure, but my driveway is probably about 15-20 degrees.

I guess if both electronics and compression fails, well fun.

But really this is only viable if the actuator holds without electricity. And if it does that, then it is all mechanical whether it fails or not.

I would be terrified to watch my car roll down the hill when my battery is low or fuse blows

Again, why is battery power holding it? That is retarded, and mentioned in the first post, of course it would drain the battery if it was only held with electricity applied, and therefore a flawed system.

But its not held by electricity. It is locked into place mechanically. You could remove the battery and its not going anywhere.

I say try it! Sounds simple enough. You already have half the mind to do so, and probably have done a fair amount of research.

It would work just fine ..If the battery died it would be stuck ON it because it couldn`t rotate therefore could not move..Have a jumper wire back up just in case battery dies or fuse blows....

,,,,,having typed all that, i personally would try to make a " normal " one work ..less chance of it not--not working..

Why is everyone parking on hills? I rarely ever use my e-brake unless the hill is stupid steep. And then, why am I parking there? (Excluding San Francisco ratsuners.)

• Like 1

Why is everyone parking on hills? I rarely ever use my e-brake unless the hill is stupid steep. And then, why am I parking there? (Excluding San Francisco ratsuners.)

I always set my hand brake. First a foremost it reduces the chance of the car moving... for any reason. If nothing else no one can push it somewhere. What if your car is hit or nudged by another car? it could roll out into traffic. Second.... the cables won't rust up if constantly used. Nothing worse than just once having to actually use the e-brake and you pull it on but it's so stiff and rusty it won't release. The e-brake should always be in good working order... after all, it's your back up braking system, the most important safety system on your vehicle.

My town is the 2nd hilliest town in the country behind SF. Dont have the luxuary of always parking flat lol.

Really? I need to measure, but my driveway is probably about 15-20 degrees.

I guess if both electronics and compression fails, well fun.

But really this is only viable if the actuator holds without electricity. And if it does that, then it is all mechanical whether it fails or not.

Its not a failure of compression its a matter of weight vs the gear ratio. My truck in 1st on even a moderate hill creeps, very slowly an inch at a time. Since my truck is so high and easy to do damage to others I chock it when on hills.

I haven't researched this particular actuator, but it appears to be a DC motor driving a gear. If there is no mechanical latching mechanism, I wouldn't recommend using it. I think people unfairly give electronics a bad rap; however, with any mechanal latching, this thing would just sit there and consume power. Worse I am not sure if that thing is designed to constantly hold a load under power. Your standard DC motor when stalled or stopped has no counter electro-motive force. In other words a stalled DC motor only has the winding resistance to impeded current. This would mean the motor would just fry.

However, if you could couple this linear actuator with a mechanical latch, that may be really cool. And besides the complication (which really isn't that bad) it should work just fine.

Also, for an E-Brake I think a hydro brake is not a good solution. My understanding is that these hand brakes are more suited for drifting and such. A cabled E-brake, separated from your hydraulic system, provides a pretty fail-safe isolated means of making sure your car doesn't roll down hills.