Tangents 68 521

IceHouse i shit myself when I saw your Photoshop... Good work. but next time add the rockerpanell to the bed in front of the rear wheel

hehe I will :D I need a straight on shot of it in the sun, Its hard to see the wheels in the photo due to the light.

nice to see my old truck getting some love...

every time i see it... i want it back...

oh well... maybe i will find another one...

later,

Chris

Get a 620 kc they are cooler :P

the stupid plastic stopper fails on the 521's causing the switch to be on constantly...I super glued a penny over the hole...

it's on the brake arm on my 71...switch is cheap...

6 bucks at Schucks...

ouch on the metric/Sae thread issue...

No fun.

super glue is a great idea, I used a penny but black taped it... which fails after a while.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

620 kc cooler... :eek:

Im not so sure about that.. but I could use some more leg room and arm room for that matter.. As soon as I get caught up with getting it running good again, I plan on figuring out how to shorten that fecking steering column about 4-5 inches..

Today replacing the fuel pump, and im pretty sure I've got water in the gas, as I can see condensation in my fuel filter..

Isoproporol Alchohol Works?? How much.. Ive only got like a quarter tank of gas in the thing right now and I have been eyeing that little drain plug on the bottom of the gas tank... but If alchohol works well I could just do that..opinions welcome

Replaceing fuel lines while im at it as they are brittle, as well as the coolant lines, thermostat bypass line or whatever it is..

If you are going EFI you may want to think about the fuel system. I say clean out the tank with bolts or whatever. I pulled a tank out of me and my bro's 521 which was a daily for 2 years (when it ran) the tank was so full of crud.. I see why I always had to change the filter. Depending on the engine bigger fuel lines may be needed. I'm running the stock lines with my ka24e. A turbo motor may require more fuel.

haha O I was just giving you a hard time about the 620 hehe I do like the added body room though :D

Mike from Oregon shortened his column a few inches and there was a guy in seattle who did the same. I had a 521 with a 620 baby brake booster now that was nice, something to think about :D I don't know how I went from column to brakes.... Maybe because its a creature comfort thing :D

If you are going EFI you may want to think about the fuel system. I say clean out the tank with bolts or whatever.

BOLTS

Is this a product? Or are you talking about pulling the tank and then putting a bunch of bolts in the bastard and shaking it violently?? call me stupid...

Once I was hitching from in AUS from Brisbane to Darwin... we were in the Middle of Whoop Whoop as they call it, Nowhere deep in the desert on the Northern Territory border when the pos car I was in just gave up.. Fuel lines hoplessly clogged, dude ended up using the return line as a replacement..Retreads falling off of the thing, slapping against the fenderwells, they would get louder and louder and you knew it was about to blow, (no spare) and then the piece of retread would fly off and it would be smooth (relativley) sailing for another 20 or 30 Km and then another piece of retread would start flailing in the wheelwhell again. what a hoot, Dont know how that story has to do with anything

BOLTS

Is this a product? Or are you talking about pulling the tank and then putting a bunch of bolts in the bastard and shaking it violently?? call me stupid...

Once I was hitching from in AUS from Brisbane to Darwin... we were in the Middle of Whoop Whoop as they call it, Nowhere deep in the desert on the Northern Territory border when the pos car I was in just gave up.. Fuel lines hoplessly clogged, dude ended up using the return line as a replacement..Retreads falling off of the thing, slapping against the fenderwells, they would get louder and louder and you knew it was about to blow, (no spare) and then the piece of retread would fly off and it would be smooth (relativley) sailing for another 20 or 30 Km and then another piece of retread would start flailing in the wheelwhell again. what a hoot, Dont know how that story has to do with anything

I was thinking bolts but somewhere I heard it was a bad idea... I would do it personally.

I like the story to :D I'm glad I'm not the only one who drives POS cars :)

When I converted Paula's 521 to discs, I forgot to hook up the brake lights for almost a year!! Sometime around the middle of '70, they switched over to a switch on the brake pedal arm. My late '70 had the switch, so I took it off that one. I can't remember if the bracket was with it or if I fabbed one, but a small bracket...1.5"? with two holes.....you can mount it to the bumpstop bolt that sets the pedal height rest. I simply ran wires from the two at the hydr switch to the new one. You can find the switch in the scrap yard pretty easily, but you can probably buy a new one if you want.

So with all of the M/C removal and instalation, Bad one, reman, pull reman because of broken bleeder valve... I can a considerable amount of brake fluid cascading everywhere... yes I know the shit is bad for just about everything It touches but I was pissed so it ended up everywhere. it managed to Unsticky the Sticky wheel weights on the drivers side front wheel, and they fell off in the driveway, and I think it got all over the rotor that I was so desperatly trying to keep clean through this whole process.. the Front Drivers brake squeaks like a bitch.. a moaning farting squeak.. so we are going to pull it apart one more time and as well as using the desqueak goop on the pins and shims (did the shims, not the pins) Im going to clean the rotors real well and try this stuff, anybody ever use it??

brakecleaner.jpg

Well it still squalls, hoping that the brakes just need to seat themselves..

Neutral saftey switch works just fine for a Brake Light switch, but fusebox is corroded and will clean it tonite.

My drivers side quarter panel has a pretty ugly crease in it, Ive got a spare one I picked up at PAP that seems like it will be easier to fix. Its a later model so I will have to weld a patch in the Marker Light and Antenna hole.

quarterpanel002.jpg

quarterpanel001.jpg

quarterpanel003.jpg

quarterpanel004.jpg

Im not real confident in my welding skills, but they can only get better with practice, Just getting the Heat and Wirespeed to where they need to be.

Ive got some rubbing on the Lip of the Fender and need to roll this over.. Ive seen the after pictures, and I would assume that you just use a Dolly and Take your time, anyone got any secret pointers for me before I go beating this panel into a Fugly Mess..

So Im spending alot of time to get this L20 that I will be pulling out shortly running well. Why you ask? I dont know.. I think Ive got a Datsun Problem.

Adjusted Valves, New Fuel Pump, Plugs, Vacume Hoses, Planning on putting a Timing Light on it today, but there is still some hesitation on in Lower RPM's It hesitates and Bogs down, Ive got this spare Carb and thinking about doing a rebuild kit on it but im not sure what year It is out of, It was on a L20 truck, late 70's... anyone recognize this particualr carb???

quarterpanel005.jpg

I should just live with it as is, seeing as how im gonna pull it and put something EFI in anyhow, but what can I say?

Maybe a '75 and on California or a '77 and on 49 states L20B model. It is NOT a Canadian model. The hose with the gear clamp is for an altitude compensator valve. It's shown on my '77 and on carbs but not earlier, so lets go with that. An L20B is an L20B any rebuild kit probably covers them all.

As for the fender there was a post within the last six months about fender rolling using a baseball bat and 'gently' prying against the tire. Can't seem to be able to get on right now (not like Ratsun lol)

Got it!:

http://www.the510realm.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-5098-start-0.html

;)THANKS ;)

I think the bat method would be a good way to get it started, just getting the lip from the horizontal to more of a diagonal angle will make it so much easier, then i can hit it with the hammer and dolly. Ill post pics when I get to it.

Most parts stores will look up the carb rebuild kit by the numbers on the carb even if you have the application. Find those numbers and make some calls. The kits for the Hitachi's are usually only about $18 around here.

I remember seeing a post either here on on NWDE regarding someone doing the KA swap.. they had another fitting brazed on to their fuel pickup.. I imagine it was a return line..

Does anybody remember who posted it or where it was?? Ive searched but have not found it yet..

they had some pics...

Have come to terms that the swap is going to happen soon and no need to fuss over getting it running perfect before I pull the thing.. I just love to drive it:D

I remember seeing a post either here on on NWDE regarding someone doing the KA swap.. they had another fitting brazed on to their fuel pickup.. I imagine it was a return line..

Does anybody remember who posted it or where it was?? Ive searched but have not found it yet..

this is the stock one

gastank.jpg

tangent , this may be 'out there' so jump in someone if it's unsafe. In the picture above the hose on the left (I believe) is the line that vents air out of the tank and up the filler hose and connects just under the gas cap, for when refilling. Could not a return line be connected to a 'TEE' in this line? It's larger diameter and shouldn't go up, but down into the tank. Also, the motor shouldn't be running when refueling anyway.

FOUND IT IT WAS SLODAT'S thread

this is why I was looking for the post, there was some information in there regarding fuel pump setup he was using, as well as info on his plumbing of the Fuel Lines for EFI

+1 good book. Although I have yet to actually read it.

Baseball bat works great, but especially in your case where you actually care about your fenders, BE VERY CAREFUL. you can do it. Eastwood also makes a tool just for fender rolling, HERE sometimes you can find a shop with one to either rent, or have them do it. or you could buy one, OR as i was thinking, makke one with a giant skateboard wheel and a scissor jack.

+1 good book. Although I have yet to actually read it.

Baseball bat works great, but especially in your case where you actually care about your fenders, BE VERY CAREFUL. you can do it. Eastwood also makes a tool just for fender rolling, HERE sometimes you can find a shop with one to either rent, or have them do it. or you could buy one, OR as i was thinking, makke one with a giant skateboard wheel and a scissor jack.

Yeah I saw that tool mentioned in the forum, and I considered it but firstly it is for a 4-5 lug hub.. they had no mention of a 6 lug, though I guess I could call or email them regarding the 6 lug... I just cant see paying the $250, as far as renting one, thats a great Idea, Ill look into it.

That book looks rad! Where did you get it?

Was looking through the megasquirt web page, reading there stuff on Turbos, and it was recomended reading, My old lady and I were bored sunday night so we went to the bookstore "Barns and Noble" on a whim and they had it!!... Im sure you can get it through Amazon.com... So far its a pretty good read.. there are some equasions in there for figureing all sorts of shit out for Turbo.. I feel smarter all ready and im not even through the first half.. :D

two more books to add to your list would be to grab how to tune and modify efi systems by motorbooks. Then aslo corky bell wrote a book on suprcharging and is just as well written as maximum boost. peace.