Tangents 68 521

Orange is the color for all things in this world! :D

Flying Pumpkin Orange was right up there with White...Hell my 1968 Oklahoma Tag is Orange.. though it looks more Yellow in the Photo...

In high school my buddy had an Orange 240 and he drove the piss out of that thing... LOVED IT!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record.. Buy the loaded calipers.. If you dont.. here are some Items you will need IN ADDITION TO the Brake Hardware Kit you can order from Nissan... It is not a complete hardware kit.. only shims.

brakelines016.jpg

All the brake lines are plumbed and bled... exept for the rear.. appearantly my salvage M/C is KAPUT.. the front works but the rear.. nothing.. ordered a reman and it should be here in 2 days..

brakelines009.jpg

brakelines011.jpg

brakelines013.jpg

Looks awesome Dude!

What are the green wires?

Dude I was taking pictures of the engine bay.... and I knew... people were going to talk about the clutter... You would not believe the shit in that engine bay... I think the coil has been in three places.. there are factory wires for shit like the winshield washer fluid... hood light switch... and god knows what else...I pulll shit as it gets in my way... but waiting for the swap to really clean it up... AS FOR THE GREEN WIRES.... Electric Fan... Ive got a relay and a Prelude (Thermocouple?).. switch that kicks the fan on at temperature.. but It was making me nervouse so i put a regular on off switch and ran a jumper to the relay so if I am waiting at a long light..I can just reach down and turn the fan on.

2eDeYe;8155']What year 280 master is that? That's the last peice to my brake puzzle.

Well' date=' other than attaching the e-brake cables. Any ideas on that yet?[/quote']

That M/C is the pre-1982 variety.. In 81 and before the bolt holes were Vertical.. and in 82 they went Horizontal...

Dont know what year I actually pulled it off of but i ordered an 1980 reman to replace the POS.. the Bore is 15/16 and as I understand it Im going to need a larger Bore to offset the volume the system requires to work.. Judging by just the Bleed of the front.. they are going to be pretty stiff since I dont have a power booster.. Ill let you know how it works out..

As for the emergency brakes.. I pulled the E-Brake cables off of the trooper I got the Calipers off of.. (Another Salvage Part) Ill play with it this weekend and show ya what I come up with.

Nearing the point of an engine swap.. I find myself wanting to build a Hotrod... My original plan was a Bio Diesel.. and Ive strayed from that...

What Diesel Powerplants did Nissan make that might fit? I've heard there was an L20D in Aussie but that is kind of out of the question...

ok sd22 sd23 sd25

and I read that in japan vehicles must be taken off of the road after 50,000 miles... is this true???

Whats with all that space between the rear axel and frame rails? I've never seen that before...

I was wondering the same thing :D

Is someone trying to say that my truck isnt Low Enough....:eek:

The mob has spoken :D

Nearing the point of an engine swap.. I find myself wanting to build a Hotrod... My original plan was a Bio Diesel.. and Ive strayed from that...

What Diesel Powerplants did Nissan make that might fit? I've heard there was an L20D in Aussie but that is kind of out of the question...

ok sd22 sd23 sd25

and I red that in japan vehicles must be taken off of the road after 50,000 miles... is this true???

I saw a 720 with a diesel engine in it at pull a part a few months ago. I haven't seen one in a long time. Maybe you can find one for the drive train :D

Wish I had a Mind to make up... Im waffleing..

Found a L20D... Japan Motor as well as a L20D II Turbo.. The turbo looks to ba a Front Sump oil pan which will be a problem... The L20D dosent have a good pic.... anybody ever seen one of these up close? Is it like the L20b's, does it have a Rear Sump?

l20D2.jpg

L20D II turbo above

L20D below

l20d5.jpg

Dude once you get a welder your first project can be modifying the pan. I say go with the turbo LD, I bet it will haul ass and be great on gas. With your welder you can build a new manifold so the turbo clears the steering column.

Dude once you get a welder your first project can be modifying the pan. I say go with the turbo LD, I bet it will haul ass and be great on gas. With your welder you can build a new manifold so the turbo clears the steering column.

Got the welder... but the the Turbo is like $1600...

ok sd22 sd23 sd25

and I red that in japan vehicles must be taken off of the road after 50,000 miles... is this true???

The '81 through '83 720 trucks used the SD22, and the '84 through '87 used the SD25. These would be a rear sump oil pan (720 truck). Also the tranny is different bolt pattern, the starter is on driver's side, so get the tranny with it.

Damn that looks like an L20B doesn't it? Would love to know if the turbo and manifold would fit an L head.

I dont know.. Im gonna call the guy and see whats what.. Im still undecided anyhoo.. Ive got the 71 521 parts truck that I "DONT" take parts from because its too perfect.. Maybee I'll do that one BIO and do my 68 with with petrol.. but I've got to decide KA? SR? VG? think Im gonna go to the Dark Side and go turbo on any of those. Got her out of the garage.. was running like shit before I took it apart so amazingly it still runs like shit... Adjusted Valve Lash.. Think the fuel Pump is KAPUT, so bought a new one, and will time it after I get the Pump in...

postbrakebuild002.jpg

postbrakebuild001.jpg

BUT WITH THAT PLATE I should go with the VG

Those Wheels Look Absolutely HUGE...

Its kind of disconcerting...

Brakes making some noises, but I think they just need to seat.

I'm a turbo fan to :D There is nothing cooler sounding than a spooling turbo, no mater what engine it is! I do think a turbo VG is going to be some serious fab work, since I'm not doing it I say Go For It!!! haha I think a ka would be the easiest.... Well maybe not.... the 521's are a little different than my 620. SR's are the shit though... hhhmmm I'm glad I don't have to make the call :)

521.jpg

i fixed it :D

So the 521 used a hydrolic pressure switch for the Brakelights

It is on the passenger side and acts as a 3-way splitter for the Brakelines as well...

Front Right

Front Left

Rear

my parts truck as reference.. you can see the 3 way but the switch is obscured by the wires....

Picture004.jpg

img001.jpg

I did away with this entirely and used a metric splitter off of a 280zx closer to the M/C..

brakelines011.jpg

There is one more brakeline coming off of this Tee but pic was taken prior to completion

If I would have thought this through a little better, I would have used the original here. I failed to think about the brake light switch.. I assumed that it had a mechanical one.. But I cannot use it now as the threads on the 521 were SAE and the new stuff I plumbed is Metric..

The 280 zx M/C has an additional port on it.. I will try to find a Metric-SAE adapter and put the switch there, If I cant find one there is a neutral saftey switch on the clutch pedal.. Ill just move that over to the brake and try that.

I think they did away with that in the later trucks. I always had the switch on the pedal fail on my 521's. I never had a 69 though. Wouldn't it be easier to do a switch on the pedal? It must just be a grounding circuit thats not to complicated.

the stupid plastic stopper fails on the 521's causing the switch to be on constantly...I super glued a penny over the hole...

it's on the brake arm on my 71...switch is cheap...

6 bucks at Schucks...

ouch on the metric/Sae thread issue...

No fun.

nice to see my old truck getting some love...

every time i see it... i want it back...

oh well... maybe i will find another one...

later,

Chris

Small world eh?