L16 with a turbo?

73 smurf 620

You have a DATSUN ........ :lol: ...... it's a TRUCK ....... ... you can't even read metric, or tire sizes

..... I'm just going out on a limb here and saying: you probably don't have another vehicle, or an income to support a project car

There's a reason only a few L-series have documented turbo build threads,,, and none of them are anything alike

you just got your L16 running tits,,,,, you have a DATSUN ..... it's a TRUCK ...... :lol:

you can either drive a Datsun to college ,,,,, or spend the next 10 years working on turbocharging a 40 yr old motor, and learning to Datsun:

70show_RedForman.jpg

as harsh as it may be, this is probably the most constructive statement said so far in this topic. i mean hell, if you dont even know if you want a turbo/supercharger, or a CA intake, i really doubt you should even entertain the idea of building and fabbing a custom setup like you've stated. MAYBE, if your friend did everything for you and presented it on your doorstep i might think of it as more of a possibility. i live in battleground washington, where every teenager and their dog thinks they know all they need to about cars, but the truth is; as much as you google shit, the only real way you can learn about cars, is from experience. so when your friend and you get together to do something, especially as big of a project as this; make sure you dont half-ass it like every kid iv ever met. if you do it yourself, Its all in the trial and error; and believe me, there will be a load of error. but eventually, youll work it out and be damn pleased with the outcome. but honestly? the easiest way to learn is having someone who knows the name of the game by your side walking you through every step.

And just an assumption, youve probably never messed with turbos before, at least never put one on anything? so before going somewhere as dark as a turbo l series, i would try to get as much experience with turbos in general as possible. and if possible, help out with a friends build. I mean hell, why screw up your own dd when your friend already has a project and hes in need of a hand? :lol:

not trying to hurt any feelings or anything, i mean, im sixteen myself, and i honestly dont know near as much as 75% of the guys on here, but im just saying, be logical about what you think you could get done with and be happy about.

• Like 1
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A) yes I have another vehicle, I built a rock crawler out of an 85 ranger.

B) I am pretty handy with fab work as I work at a buggy shop that builds baja vw's as well as drag vw's.

We just turbo'd a 59 bu that you can dial the boost with a laptop. So I'm not as dumb as you assume, just new to datsuns.

C) I also work construction full time which funds the never ending projects in the driveway.

• Like 1

L20B is a direct bolt in and adds a couple horsepower, along with 38mm su's or webers.

Headers dont to do anything to these engines, your better off with the stock manifold, they're designed well.

38mm are much too small for an L20b to work properly.

• 3 years later...

Damn why was everyone acting so smart, if someone wants to turbo their L-series let them. I started working on my car, and got it running through messing up over and over. No one let this guy be??

Harsh people you guys could be sometimes, and funny how's there's barely any advice :lol:

my turbo l-16 coming soon..

If you do a blow-through turbo, the carb needs to be in an air box like one of the earlier pics so that the carb vents are at the same atmospheric pressure as the intake air.  If its not, the carb will not meter fuel properly, unless you design a suck through setup that's not forcing air into the carb.  And you do want a bigger carb than a 32/36 DGV.  The 38/38 harley carb is an ok starting point for the price.  Or a 500 cfm Holley 2bbl, which you can pick up on Fleabay for $50, but that means more fab work.  

Turbo motors are NOT known for torque (burn-outs.)  

Call Schneider cams about cam options.  Find an L20b to start with if you want real power - they came stock with 100hp in the trucks, less in the 510s, and the truck motor is well suited for a turbo by design.  Your L16 small chamber head can be ported to work well (plan on 40 hours!) but the low compression open chamber head in an L20b is better for boost.

Damn why was everyone acting so smart, if someone wants to turbo their L-series let them. I started working on my car, and got it running through messing up over and over.  No one let this guy be??

Harsh people you guys could be sometimes, and funny how's there's barely any advice :lol:

my turbo l-16 coming soon..

This thread is 4 1/2 years old.

Messing the car up over and over is not the goal and advice is aimed at avoiding this. Many start with good intentions but end up with the car ruined and then it's scrapped. Once gone it's gone forever.