L16 with a turbo?

73 smurf 620

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just do it. The greatest turbo stories are junkyards swaps, custom installs that make good power with a totally stock engine. Some have even doubled HP without an intercooler although that is difficult to do. Guys will tell you it can't be done. Just do it. Don't forget to retard the timing to be safe.

• Like 2

So I researched the turbo option, got distracted, called a buddy that knows datsuns and came up with a new option list:

1) forward turbo +intercooler

2) rearward tubo no intercooler

3) but a used motor from a 510 race car

4) milled head

5) nitrous

Now it is my dd so I don't want to go too crazy, but I like burnouts. An lets face it, the 620 doesn't burn out like my old 86 firebird did.

Input is apreciated

I doubt a forward mount turbo and IC will easily clear the steering box/column and a rear one the column. Do-able, but tight.

Buy a 'race' motor? Just someone else's hammered pile of junk unless you pay Rebello for a built motor.

Milled head? Well for every point of compression you gain about 4% increase in power...that is if you run higher and higher octane gas so you can run the proper advance to take advantage of it. Let's see on a 65 HP L16 running 11.5 compression will give you (in theory) about 73 HP now. Hell an L18 swap will beat that.

Nitrous? I wouldn't anyway but I sure wouldn't on stock hyper-eutectic pistons. Forged would be the way to go.

Rebuild a Z22 block and swap a U67 head on it. Probably 110-120 HP and more with a cam and bigger carb. Byron had one with multiple side drafts (EFI now) that made over 130 rear wheel HP. That would be close to 150 engine HP.

What's gonna be my best bang for my buck as I am a teenager on a fairly tight budget. Not interested in motor swaps, is a cam an option? I really would like a turbo, idk just fishing for ideas...

Ps... Newb question: a friend gave me 2 185/70 are those taller/shorter or wider/skinnier than my 195/70's?

I can't read metric please help.

185/70 and 195/70 are 10mm different in width. The narrower one will also be smaller in diameter.

To make a 510 burnout, put stock 155 tires on it, Give it some gas and dump the clutch while flooring it. It'll smoke the tires all day long. Remember that it is illegal to do on a public road. And the tire will explode if you do it too long.

• Like 1

What's gonna be my best bang for my buck as I am a teenager on a fairly tight budget. Not interested in motor swaps, is a cam an option? I really would like a turbo, idk just fishing for ideas...

Ps... Newb question: a friend gave me 2 185/70 are those taller/shorter or wider/skinnier than my 195/70's?

I can't read metric please help.

Boost that shit. if you have a little fab skill and make all your own parts, you can boost your l16 for ohhhh i dunno around 400 bucks.

However, on a stock motor with who knows how many miles... id only run like 7 psi or so, and your valve seals will go out failry quick.

Or get a Lincoln Locker. Why would the valve seals go out after putting a turbo on?

Because high compression motors arent built for boost, it could last a long time, just throwin it out there, those were the first things to go on mine. my l20 made it 6 months and about 10k (with around 50k org) on 10 pounds and HARD drving before it went.

Please oh please do not recommend a teenager to weld his diff. That is a bad idea.

Lol. its funny you say that, becasue im a teenager... with a welded dif...

• Like 1

Where in CA are you?

Oics of this 620

I think turboing a L engine is cool, but not viable for burnouts.. just stick something else in there for that.

if running high boost, you're going to need a intercooler, or water injection, and both of those things take up space. Ls being non crossflow, the intake/exhaust side is going to be crammed.

Are you going to be running EFI?

If running a carb don't pair suck through and a intercooler together.

And blow through takes up even more space, i think you're best bet would be to turbo with R1 carbs.. I'm not to familiar with them, but i hear you can run boost through them no problem.

A supercharger is always a option too..

L20B is a direct bolt in and adds a couple horsepower, along with 38mm su's or webers.

Headers dont to do anything to these engines, your better off with the stock manifold, they're designed well.

Thats what i would do if your on a budget, my l20 with a cam and header ans 38 sus, along with some other little things, was pretty quick

Not to be a downer, but i bet you wont notice much of a difference from cold and exhaust, except itll be louder, im sure ill get hated on for this but l16s are slowwww, even if you build them there not fast meybe quick but not fast, especially if your on a budget, naturally aspirated that is, you add a supercharger or turbo or...both... you get a quick motor for pretty cheap. just my opinion

I'm in rocklin, ca. Still not sure which way I'm gonna go, maybe cold air and exhaust for mild power addition.

You have a DATSUN ........ :lol: ...... it's a TRUCK ....... ... you can't even read metric, or tire sizes

..... I'm just going out on a limb here and saying: you probably don't have another vehicle, or an income to support a project car

There's a reason only a few L-series have documented turbo build threads,,, and none of them are anything alike

you just got your L16 running tits,,,,, you have a DATSUN ..... it's a TRUCK ...... :lol:

you can either drive a Datsun to college ,,,,, or spend the next 10 years working on turbocharging a 40 yr old motor, and learning to Datsun:

70show_RedForman.jpg

• Like 2