anyone thought of an awd z?

I will never build this, but I've had the idea and thought it through pretty thoroughly. Motor and tranny would be out of an awd dsm, 4g63, its small and wouldn't be as hard to fit, then you'd need modify some front wheel drive setup into your front end, Not to mention mounts for the tranny and motor, assuming by this time you'd have most the unibody that would be in the way cut out. After that you could make your own 1 piece pull up front end just to make working on it easy and to give you more room. Again I'm never gonna build something like this, or atleast not any time soon, but I had been tossing this around in my head for a while. Yeha whats the point of talking about something you'll never do, well this is just because I'm bored and wanna see what idea's you guys might have based on something like this.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a guy on hybridz, that already mounted a Subaru front subframe into a Z, already has the motor mocked up and everything, there are a few Rb26dett AWD Z's that I know of one in japan that was built for drag racing then another guy on hybridz that is building it 2wd for now but making all the provisions for AWD later.

Also there is a guy building a 4g63 powered 240z but he is using a T5 transmission I believe and an adaptor plate to point the motor the right way. I would love to build a Subie powered Z but keep it RWD by using an adaptor plate to a transmission having a low, light, boxer motor way back in the engine bay with a turbo in front? that thing would handle great and still be quick.

I did some research into that Hillclimb Z a while ago, it's running a Nascar spec chevy V8 and it has a shortened toyota hilux 4x4 frame under the body. Can't seem to remember the name of the guy that owns it though. I'm sure the 720 4x4 guy's could chime in on the difference between 4wd and all wheel drive, I'm pretty sure it's just something techincal. I think an AWD 510 would be cooler then a Z, Z's just seem to be raw RWD sports car as where the 510 I could see being a AWD 4 door sedan beast.

agreed, but ill chime in on the awd to 4wd debate. awd is usually a non selectable. you always have 4 under power and ususally no low range in the tcase. 4wd you can switch to 2wd and 4lo or 4hi. plus awd is usually how a car is described(and escalades lol) and 4wd is how trucks are described... in the end they are the same as you have 4 wheels under power. gear selection shoodnt have anything to do with it.

also it may have to do with back in the day if you were 4wd the front and rear drive shafts spun the same, no diff in the tcase. awd almost always has a open or viscous diff. but not all new tcases have a diff too

at the end of the day its the difference of a mercedes benz driver saying he has a sophisticated awd platform and the redneck from MERICA that says he has a chevy that will pull his fat mother inlaw right off the porch no problem if you throw that sumbitch inta 4low

QMvcu.jpg

'MERICA!!!!!!!!!!

at the end of the day its the difference of a mercedes benz driver saying he has a sophisticated awd platform and the redneck from MERICA that says he has a chevy that will pull his fat mother inlaw right off the porch no problem if you throw that sumbitch inta 4low

I laughed so hard reading this, it will be in my sig until I get around to putting something else there.

dont know dont care

AWD midengine Z is nothing but the daydreams of a 17 year old.

and the only reason I'm not mad about a comment like this is because its true, now treating me like some other typical 17 year old douche bag is different. I just wanted to talk about awd z's and otherwise.

4wd has front and rear axles locked together.

AWD has a center differential so that there can be a differential of speed between front and rear axles.

I think there are some newer AWD jeeps that have a locking center diff, so there are full time AWD with selectable 4wd

That hill climb Z had 4wd and a 2 speed automatic.

My choice:

VR38 with GR6 transmission..... :) with a 3.7:1 R200 mounted up front (GR6 transaxle has a 3.7:1 R&P gears).