JCCS 2012 Sep. 15th 2012

Tristin

For some reason we usually drive overnight when we go down for family visits to Brody's parents', so by the time that we hit Redding, it's like 3 or 4 am and In N Out is closed.... those fucks! :angry:

Micro, I thought that I remembered seeing you say somewhere that you weren't sure you'd go down to JCCS again. Maybe I'm mistaken, but wondered why if you had.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove 1400 miles in my 510 wagon. L16/weber with 5sp dogleg. I spent around 130-140 bucks on gas. But it was cheaper a year and a half ago when I went.

From seaside to Redding its 491 miles. If the B is in top running condition getting 40mpg (lets say for conservative reasons 35). Thats 280 Miles to the tank. There and back it should be about 3.5 tanks worth of gas. Times that by the gallons my tank takes, comes to about 28 gallons of fuel. Times that by what gas is here in Seaside (im sure its cheaper else where) at 4.35 a gallon. It'd be about 122 dollars to goto Redding and back.

Not bad, though not an expense I could do right yet. I'd be down for this trip later this summer though. Having enough issues coming up with camping money for Canby.

I drove 1400 miles in my 510 wagon. L16/weber with 5sp dogleg. I spent around 130-140 bucks on gas. But it was cheaper a year and a half ago when I went.

From seaside to Redding its 491 miles. If the B is in top running condition getting 40mpg (lets say for conservative reasons 35). Thats 280 Miles to the tank. There and back it should be about 3.5 tanks worth of gas. Times that by the gallons my tank takes, comes to about 28 gallons of fuel. Times that by what gas is here in Seaside (im sure its cheaper else where) at 4.35 a gallon. It'd be about 122 dollars to goto Redding and back.

Not bad, though not an expense I could do right yet. I'd be down for this trip later this summer though. Having enough issues coming up with camping money for Canby.

Yes but it is another almost 600 miles from Redding to the Queen Mary,, one way ,, where the show is being held.

Google Maps says its about 2500 miles round trip from Silverdale to the Queen Mary. Its only about 2 hours longer to travel across the Golden Gate Bridge and down Hwy 1 instead of taking the 5 all the way down. With the crappy 28mpg Im currently getting and the price of gas in Silverdale, Im looking at about $380 in gas... Now Im sure I can get better milage on pure highway and if I give the car a bit of a tuneup, but its still going to be a bit expensive. I still think thats going to be cheaper than if I wanted to fly roundtrip and rent a car etc for when I wanted to visit my family. It may still be worth it.

Google Maps says its about 2500 miles round trip from Silverdale to the Queen Mary. Its only about 2 hours longer to travel across the Golden Gate Bridge and down Hwy 1 instead of taking the 5 all the way down. With the crappy 28mpg Im currently getting and the price of gas in Silverdale, Im looking at about $380 in gas... Now Im sure I can get better milage on pure highway and if I give the car a bit of a tuneup, but its still going to be a bit expensive. I still think thats going to be cheaper than if I wanted to fly roundtrip and rent a car etc for when I wanted to visit my family. It may still be worth it."

"Down Highway one" puts you on the seaward side of the road and some very hairy sudden left "turns" to avoid a first hand look at the surf on a dark night. Take I5.

Im not talking about Hwy 1 right by the Bay Area.... Im not a Monk in a wagon. Im talking about going south through SLO and then hitting 1 to come through Malibu and the such. I could take 1 all the way until it turned into PCH through Redondo (my old stomping grounds), pick Jun up (hint hint Jun), and then jump back onto the 5.

Edit: 28 is as good as I can expect? Hmmm could have sworn I should be seeing a bit more.

Micro, I thought that I remembered seeing you say somewhere that you weren't sure you'd go down to JCCS again. Maybe I'm mistaken, but wondered why if you had.

For what it is, it's a cool show. Lots of neat vintage J-tin, and got to see first hand some of the "best of the best". Lots of sponsors, and a hand full of neat vendors(JNC Magazine had the best booth, IMO. $1 stickers and free magazines ;)). I really feel like it was also put together by good people for a good cause. I can be pretty critical, and these are just MY opinions, observations and thoughts, and shouldn't deter or persuade anyone from not experiencing JCCS if it's something they want to do.

On the downside, I feel like for as publicized of a show as it is, it was pretty disorganized. A number of out of state people were not honored for traveling long distance(it's a gratuity along with gift given to those who didn't come from California), which really wasn't a big deal, even though I registered way in advance. It was just another thing that demonstrated that it wasn't a tight, professionally put together show. Don't get me wrong, there were alot of strong points to the organization, but there were also a number of things that my girlfriend and I just looked at each other like, "Really??" Perhaps I am judging too harshly, but a show that has the air of being as professional as JCCS, the presentation and inner workings just seemed half-assed. They were very heavy on some things, such as rules, but the disciplines essential in keeping the total package tight just weren't there. Period.

I guess I've always been a small town kinda guy, so bright lights and shiny things don't really impress me as much as something of substance and quality. I felt it was alot of hype, and not alot of depth. It was very different from our Datsun get togethers, as any sales that were not from vendors were prohibited in the show. I understand why this is, as it is a show, and it keeps things clean. Once you were in, there was no leaving until the end(if your car was registered in the show); which I also understand. There are ALOT of people there, and you can't just go driving in and out; however, by 1pm I was ready to get on with the long journey back home. Having to wait until late afternoon to take off really made the escape from L.A. an impatient affair. The fact that the show lets out when traffic is at it's worst wasn't much of a bonus, either.

Like I said before, for what it is(A show), it was cool. I could see driving the distance for an event such as Canby, but don't expect it to be anything like Canby. There's no staying overnight, there's no swap meet, there's no leaving(if you're registered in the show, that is), and no shenanigans. There are alot of really nice vehicles there that people put alot of time and money into,and the people that put it on are good people. Driving that far for just the show, however? Probably wouldn't. To be honest, I'd rather just save my vacation time and money and look at the pics posted on JNC afterward, in the comfort of my own home, drinking a beer(also not allowed in the show). If I were down there on vacation and it just so happened to be going on, I may consider popping in, for an hour or two, but I definitely wouldn't register my car in the show again.

If you guys go, have a great time :)

3800 miles round trip, thats $760 in gas alone yuckie.

Shit I dont blame anyone on gas ..

I think you should sue your school district.

Everett to long beach (one way) = 1186 miles (19 hours 26 minutes)

(Round Trip) = 2372 miles

Where the hell did 3800 roundtrip come from? 1400 mile detour! ? ... lololol

• Like 2

For what it is, it's a cool show. Lots of neat vintage J-tin, and got to see first hand some of the "best of the best". Lots of sponsors, and a hand full of neat vendors(JNC Magazine had the best booth, IMO. $1 stickers and free magazines ;)). I really feel like it was also put together by good people for a good cause. I can be pretty critical, and these are just MY opinions, observations and thoughts, and shouldn't deter or persuade anyone from not experiencing JCCS if it's something they want to do.

On the downside, I feel like for as publicized of a show as it is, it was pretty disorganized. A number of out of state people were not honored for traveling long distance(it's a gratuity along with gift given to those who didn't come from California), which really wasn't a big deal, even though I registered way in advance. It was just another thing that demonstrated that it wasn't a tight, professionally put together show. Don't get me wrong, there were alot of strong points to the organization, but there were also a number of things that my girlfriend and I just looked at each other like, "Really??" Perhaps I am judging too harshly, but a show that has the air of being as professional as JCCS, the presentation and inner workings just seemed half-assed. They were very heavy on some things, such as rules, but the disciplines essential in keeping the total package tight just weren't there. Period.

I guess I've always been a small town kinda guy, so bright lights and shiny things don't really impress me as much as something of substance and quality. I felt it was alot of hype, and not alot of depth. It was very different from our Datsun get togethers, as any sales that were not from vendors were prohibited in the show. I understand why this is, as it is a show, and it keeps things clean. Once you were in, there was no leaving until the end(if your car was registered in the show); which I also understand. There are ALOT of people there, and you can't just go driving in and out; however, by 1pm I was ready to get on with the long journey back home. Having to wait until late afternoon to take off really made the escape from L.A. an impatient affair. The fact that the show lets out when traffic is at it's worst wasn't much of a bonus, either.

Like I said before, for what it is(A show), it was cool. I could see driving the distance for an event such as Canby, but don't expect it to be anything like Canby. There's no staying overnight, there's no swap meet, there's no leaving(if you're registered in the show, that is), and no shenanigans. There are alot of really nice vehicles there that people put alot of time and money into,and the people that put it on are good people. Driving that far for just the show, however? Probably wouldn't. To be honest, I'd rather just save my vacation time and money and look at the pics posted on JNC afterward, in the comfort of my own home, drinking a beer(also not allowed in the show). If I were down there on vacation and it just so happened to be going on, I may consider popping in, for an hour or two, but I definitely wouldn't register my car in the show again.

If you guys go, have a great time :)

Dude, That sucks that you found so many things wrong with JCCS... I have been a volunteer for all of them and have had a great time. One thing you have to understand it's L.A. Not Oregon!!!! Need I say more.....You have to jump thru lots of hoops to put something on like JCCS down here.

It's not so much the JCCS staff but alot of it has to do with the City of L.B. And county of L.A.

No swap meet

No overnite camping

No drinking

No leaving the park

No for sale vehicles

You can thank the city of Long Beach for that.

I've never been to Canby but it's on my bucket list....And when I do go I'll take notes....

I tried to be as fair in my assessment as I could. I do understand that the different areas definitely effect the way it can turn out. However, being L.A., I did have(perhaps unfair) expectations of being "Wow'ed". Why? A few years back, I went to WaterWerks(Yeah, a VW show.. worked at a booth with a friend who was way into em) in Tacoma, WA, and if you know anything about Tacoma, it's no Long Beach. I was blown away by the show. Probably the best show I've been to, period. Lots of fun, lots of cars, great vendors, so much to do. I had expected JCCS to put it to shame. That was nobody's fault but my own.

Like I mentioned before, I thought that for a show, it was a good show. The staff and people working there were great and I believe the show to be put on for a good purpose. It was just a handful of things that seemed to be lacking. I believe that it takes alot of hard working, selfless people like yourself to make the wheels on this thing turn. I also understand that it's a very young show, and will take some refining as the years go by.

I in no way look at Canby as being flawless, but I think that it's been going on long enough that it's found a groove and functions smoothly. After some time, I hope that JCCS and the city of Long Beach will find a comfortable medium in which they can work together well. I know that Canby and JCCS are like comparing apples to oranges, it's really unfair. I only tossed it in there as a contrast to the different kinds of events, and distances I'd travel considering those different types. The one is a car show. The other is a campout, BBQ, swap meet, car show, and so much more. I'd love to see you up here some time.

If I stepped on anybody's toes, or belittled anyone's efforts or creativity, I do apologize. It was not my intent at all. I'm not saying it wasn't a good show, and not worth going to. I'm merely stating why I probably wouldn't drive just shy of 2000 miles for the sole purpose of attending it, based on the content thereof along with a previous experience.