What Engine Should I Swap To? - 72' 510

Hi, i'm relatively new to the form but have been lurking for quite some time now. Just recently I pulled out my dads old 72' 510 and have been cleaning it up. Because the stock engine is not only automatic but also has a problem i want to upgrade to a more powerful engine that is also easy to do. (This being my first real project.) I also have two manual, but stock 510's. Any suggestions on what engine might be suitable for me? I've done a little research and have been leaning towards an l20b but I'm not sure.

-CC

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think a L-20-B, and a five speed would be pretty easy swap. The transmission mount will need to be changed, driveshaft shortened, and a clutch pedal assembly added. Those are only major issues I can think of.

If the engine is in good shape, your radiator should be able to keep the engine cool, but might be marginal.

With almost any other engine, you are going to have to fabricate engine mounts.

Hi, i'm relatively new to the form but have been lurking for quite some time now. Just recently I pulled out my dads old 72' 510 and have been cleaning it up. Because the stock engine is not only automatic but also has a problem i want to upgrade to a more powerful engine that is also easy to do. (This being my first real project.) I also have two manual, but stock 510's. Any suggestions on what engine might be suitable for me? I've done a little research and have been leaning towards an l20b but I'm not sure.

-CC

The L20B is perfect for the 510. The biggest and almost the only physical difference is that it's 3/4" taller.

You would have fun even if you keep it automatic. You will need an L20B automatic flex plate and then it will bolt up to your automatic. In all cases, the L20B exhaust manifold will not bolt up to your exhaust down pipe but you can either weld the L20B down pipe to the L16 pipe.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

The L20B is perfect for the 510. The biggest and almost the only physical difference is that it's 3/4" taller.

You would have fun even if you keep it automatic. You will need an L20B automatic flex plate and then it will bolt up to your automatic. In all cases, the L20B exhaust manifold will not bolt up to your exhaust down pipe but you can either weld the L20B down pipe to the L16 pipe.

or keep the L16 exhaust manifold, and extend the pipe(most times if there is just enough room to clear,to get to an exhaust shop) but may vibrate on the floor

Thanks for the input everyone i suppose i'll do the l20b route. I'm no where near city traffic and would prefer to have manual transmission. Being the total noob i am what is meant by shortening the drive shaft? It seems like only one person mentioned it.

You don't need to shorten the drive shaft if you use a stock 510 transmission and the matching driveshaft (that matches the specific transmission).

You would shorten the drive shaft if using a non-stock transmission and you don't have the right driveshaft for it.

I also forgot to mention that the original engines only problem is a worn out flex plate. Would it still be worth swapping to an L20b? Frankly i don't know the difference besides what is said above and what i imagine to be a decent power increase. Oh and This is not going to be raced or anything i just want an engine that can have some pull when i want it, and is fun to drive.

You don't need to shorten the drive shaft if you use a stock 510 transmission and the matching driveshaft (that matches the specific transmission).

You would shorten the drive shaft if using a non-stock transmission and you don't have the right driveshaft for it.

The transmission i would be useing is a stock manual transmission off of another 510. Year? I'm not exactly sure but perhaps year dosen't matter. So i'm assuming i won't have to shorten it then?

I thought the auto tranny and the manuals were the same length in the 510... So there should be no driveshaft shortening by going to the 510 4 speed manual. Only other option would be a 200sx dogleg for a 5 speed (and maybe a shorty truck 5 speed...)

L20b is a great choice of motor, and a relatively easy swap, well just about the same as pulling your motor and putting it back in.

I also forgot to mention that the original engines only problem is a worn out flex plate. Would it still be worth swapping to an L20b? Frankly i don't know the difference besides what is said above and what i imagine to be a decent power increase. Oh and This is not going to be raced or anything i just want an engine that can have some pull when i want it, and is fun to drive.

The worn L16 flex plate is no problem as it can't be used on an L20B anyway. L16 or L18 are 5 bolt and L20B are 6 bolt flexplates or flywheels.

You would have fun even if you keep it automatic. You will need an L20B automatic flex plate and then it will bolt up to your automatic.

The 510 auto or standard are the same length (26") so swapping a 4 speed in you can use the auto driveshaft. Besides the 4 speed car has a driveshaft anyway so there are no worries about this.

Yes the '77-'79 200sx had a same length 5 speed (26") that will fit the 510 driveshaft but you will need to modify the rear mount.

l16s feal cool rapped out, 4 speed, cam, carbs, fun

And it sounds like other than a cam grind, lash pads and carb you have all the parts.

200$ could get you on the road and having fun.

dont know how easily a good l20b is to find in your area.

l16s feal cool rapped out, 4 speed, cam, carbs, fun

And it sounds like other than a cam grind, lash pads and carb you have all the parts.

200$ could get you on the road and having fun.

dont know how easily a good l20b is to find in your area.

What do l20b's come in? like what car?

the holes in the body for the auto tranny are farther forward than a manual car.

when you swap in a manual the tranny crossmembers front bolt hole will line up with the bodys back hole

so you need to drill a new hole for the crossmembers back.