why the hate for rotas?

Most people buy wheels that don't fit anyways, whether they are real or fake .. ... :lol:

..... it takes a few sets of wheels before you know what "fits",,,, and what makes the car more/less fun to drive

Tires affect the handling just as much as rim diameter and width,,,, until you know exactly what you want, why waste your money on "real" wheels?

shure "real" tits can be better than fake tits .... but I'd rather have a new set of tits to play with every week,,, than the same real ones over and over

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't really care. What impresses me about a car is more the time put into it, the quality of the work, the amount of fabrication. To me just because somebody spent X amount of dollars on a set of rare wheels doesn't matter. I would rather see the X amount of time spent on some sweet custom fabrication. The high dollar parts aren't what make the car. It's the love that the builder puts into it that makes the car.

That being said, I would really like to get a set of real Watanabes...to bad I don't have that kind of bank roll.

Im with Jun on this one, and semi-agree with what youre talking about Duke. I could care less for the expensive parts on cars, but its the RARE parts that I like (and they just happen to be expensive). Finding the right rare part that doesnt exist or only comes in a few sizes can be a real challenge. So when someone rolls on a real set of OG rims that have been restored or hell even unrestored is a sign that the driver loves their car at a whole new level. They may go months or years looking for the one part to add to their car and unfortunately the price you have to pay is high sometimes. Im not impressed by money, but most of the time it takes money to get impressive things.

You mention that good fabrication impresses you... I cant weld for shit. So does that mean that no car I build will ever be to your liking? I would have to pay someone to fabricate me something for the car... and that takes money.

Most people buy wheels that don't fit anyways, whether they are real or fake .. ... :lol:

..... it takes a few sets of wheels before you know what "fits",,,, and what makes the car more/less fun to drive

Tires affect the handling just as much as rim diameter and width,,,, until you know exactly what you want, why waste your money on "real" wheels?

shure "real" tits can be better than fake tits .... but I'd rather have a new set of tits to play with every week,,, than the same real ones over and over

Sure, but its not like youre just stockpiling the rims in the corner. You buy a pair and test them out. Turns out they dont work so you sell them and buy different ones. You keep doing that until you find the ones you want to keep. You wouldnt be out any more money than if you did that with the cheapo rims (negating the difference between one set of cheap and one set of OG rims).

If you do a search in google images for wheel failure you will see many high end manufacturers with the same issues.

I wonder what these people are doing to break any wheel? I think they are drifting, this is what a wheel that breaks while drifting looks like. IMG_9327_Formula_Drift_Irwindale_Pro_Am_2009_dave_blunt_e30_bmw_copy.jpg

another thing i would like to point out one the wheels that failed notice how thin the spoke/ material holding the center of the rim to the outside im also willing to bet that the cars with the broken wheels were beat on

my friend runs rotas on a built honda that pulls 10s and they havent failed

I have rotas on my car, honestly you can't beat them for the price, $120 per wheel is ridiculously cheap for what they are.

I haven't seen anything with a substantial spoke fail, like the RB or shakotan. I even like the way they look better than panasports (I had my dad's panasports on my car for a few weeks for test fitting) and panasport has since changed the way their wheel looks, it no longer has long spokes and with a big hub looks more like a minilite.

I have no problem with knock off wheels, especially when SSRs are going to cost me upwards of $1500 for anything. There are always going to be the "badge" prestige with having panasports or brands like that. Personally, I don't care all that much right now I just want a wheel that looks good going down the street. there are always other things I can do to make my car unique... it seems to me there are a select few "right" wheels on Datsuns and that's just the way it is or me.

As litigious as the US is, I imagine if a whole bunch of people starting spitting wheels, there would be a lawsuit. I'd say more likely driver abuse or improper fitment may be an issue with cheaper rims. Not to say you don't get what you pay for. But I have a buddy who races a Miata in autocross, on the road course, and he's been running some shit cheap Chinese wheels for the longest time, and no issues. Granted, they're not the super thin spoke ones, but I wouldn't get those either because I like to run over curbs. 5 spoke and 6 spokes have some meat where you can abuse the wheel without issue much more than a low profile tire on little skinny spoke wheels.

to the comment earlier about moderate power and you will be ok with rotas...... read up on this car... and let me know about moderate power ( last dyno was 996whp) .....same whells for over 5 years . no wheel failure yet :) older rotas ( about 8 years ago had some bad batches )

my homies car....... http://www.gstmotorsports.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=28

say they can hold abuse.....

and if you have the cash , they will make anything you want them to, from size, depth, offset, design to lug pattern

I agree with bonvo wheels don't fall apart they don't fail catastrophically with out help ..... Wheels are wheels and to be honest I think the rb's look better and more proportionate than some of the panasports and the likes .....

Ps this really feels like a thread u would see on the realm

I like the pics of all the failed wheels everyone is on some ricer piece of shit no broken wheels on Dattos ...... And the arguments and the series of the aluminum...... All smelters have the same issue re smelting and re smelting just increases the contaminants every time ....

Ps while we're doing your wheels Tristan I saw there rotas so I am keeping them u don't want Inferior rims on your wago

• Like 1

You mention that good fabrication impresses you... I cant weld for shit. So does that mean that no car I build will ever be to your liking? I would have to pay someone to fabricate me something for the car... and that takes money.

I may like cars that look good, are well put together, have a nice stance, but if they are simply bolted together with off the shelf parts, it just doesn't do it for me. When somebody makes something that is really nice though, that is when my pants really get tight.

And just because you can't weld/fab doesn't mean you can't learn. I hate when people say "I wish I could weld/fab." You can't learn by wishing.

I may like cars that look good, are well put together, have a nice stance, but if they are simply bolted together with off the shelf parts, it just doesn't do it for me. When somebody makes something that is really nice though, that is when my pants really get tight.

And just because you can't weld/fab doesn't mean you can't learn. I hate when people say "I wish I could weld/fab." You can't learn by wishing.

I almost fully agree. I was in fabrication classes when I was in the Navy and I know how to weld according to their standards. Hell, we had to have no rivet marks from the airguns when doing them with an air hammer and dollie (I think the marks were called smileys). We had a guy in one of my classes and the guy just didnt have the coordination to fabricate anything. He wound up changing his rate (job) because he couldnt pass any exams. I would agree that almost anyone can fabricate and weld as long as they take the time and learn how to do is and practice.

I know my fab skills need to be dusted off once I get to that stage of my build. One thing that scares me is welding fuel tanks but I am going to just go for it.

how did this go from wheels to toot your own horn about how far u take your skills....in fabrication there's no substitute for practice...Im sure even jesse james intial fab skills were head scratchers...

i hope u guys don't judge my goon when i put less then name brand wheels on it...

was it mentioning a realm thread ?

so "duke" by your comment what are u gonna do when its time to put wheels on your car...order 4 chunks of 6061 and a ill and go to town making your own one off rb replica minus the massive failures they have had...u know most over the counter wheels, bolt on right? your not the guy i see at car shows with a million dollar fab street rod then a set of chrome steel directionals on it....so u would rather see a shaved bumper than a sick car with right offset with the right tire and the right stance...aw fuck u will be busy looking for ginder marks on the under side of the floor pan...FUCKING HATER...now u got me hating...(which aint tough...)

edit.... all those pics are of ricers with failures...we all know how they drive and how they mod shit......i mean does your street car really need launch control... i can almost bet everyone of those pics are from dumping the clutch or using a launch control....

my philosphy on cars ....aw fuck it u guys dont give a shit...i wonder why non of those wheel failure pics include a highway or a semi stock car... THERE ALL FUCKING RETARDED KIDS BANGING SECOND GEAR AT 9 GRAND...OR AT SOME DRIFT/SHOW EVENT WHERE THEY THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE COOL AND ENDED UP TOOL....ANYTHING CAN FAIL GIVNG THE AMOUNT OF SHITHEAD AMBITION U PUT INTO IT...