why the hate for rotas?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

examples?

Yes some hate because the make knockoffs of even current stuff.

Some hate because Rota has had wheel failures

Some are just saying they are tired of see Rota RBs everywhere.

Great thread btw. :rofl:

i have rota RB's for another car and i think theyre cool. they function like they should.

i once saw a pic slamming rota's because the wheel was completely disintegrated but the focus was on the rim and not the fact that the car was in an accident. in any case where a wheel gets comprimised in an accident, i am almost certain that any wheel should and would be replaced. including steel wheels.

i support rota!

If You're Putting Rims On Your Car..

Buy The Real Deal

Not worth it IMO ....... .. everytime I buy a pair of wheels they never fit "perfect" .... buying 4 wheels is just stupid

.... if you're after "fitment",, or strictly handling ..... you'll never get it right the first time

Buy one good tire,, a stack of washers, and one cheap wheel . . . offset is nothing if your car is more fun to drive with balloon tires and 13" wheels

Guest kamakazi620

is it popular to hate on them, or are they just terrible for bringing back styles from the dead?

Naww it's because everyone here is a "Ricer" and they all hate "Ricers" Go Figure..........

Rewarding the people that worked hard to design the wheel in the first place.

Sorry, but there are no wheel "royalties". Nobody who designed the old wheels is getting paid whenever a used set gets sold. The values of the OG wheels aren't being hurt by the copies, it seems like the prices on full sets of OG wheels have actually been going up. Most wheels are copies of other wheels anyways, I have a set of "vintage" minilites, so if I buy a sets of wats or panasports, is that like buying rotas?

I could see myself buying Rotas, but I don't have a reason to. I'm just running ZX wheels until I can find some affordable vintage Japanese wheels.

The way I see it, if Rotas do the job, why wouldn't some original wheels too? Let the Honda guys have Rota.

lol, good luck with that. So what if honda guys run rotas? a civic with hayashi street knockoffs would look stupid, so let them be stupid.

why pay more when you dont have to

Because having your wheel fall apart at 80 miles per hour fucking sucks. Ive seen it happen with rotas, ive seen left over carnage rota wheels int he junk yard as wheel, pay the extra money and get soemthing that doesnt run the high risk of falling apart.

I love collecting and rolling on OG SSR wheels. They make me smile, especially after a good polish and scrub of the spoke and bolts, but even in crusty form, I appreciate them greatly. I go through hurdles to get them, and then spend a lot of time and money having them restored and refinished. The OG JDM wheels have been rising in value, partially due to the fluctuating exchange rates but also because a lot of people in Japan are hanging on to them. If anything, I think the rise of replicas only make the originals more desirable.

I'm not a fan of the replica wheels, personally I think it would have been better if they were inspired by the popular and sought after originals like Yayois and Streets, and came up with their own original designs. But to each their own. When I see an OG set of Hayashis, Wats, SSRs, Advans, Technos, what have you, I stop, stare, drool for a while and admire, regardless of offset or condition. Replicas don't do that for me. I understand that they are good for daily use (given that they are safe to run on) and you can get the look without paying the price. If that's what you're after, then by all means, more power to you.

Personally, I'd rather pay the price and have the real deal, but I don't hate on the copies. I just wouldn't run them. Even for my Audi, I'm finding that the wheels I want cost a fortune, yet I can have reps for a fraction of the price. I'd rather wait a bit and get the real deal, so I can smile at the sight of OG wheels.

I thought this was a good article that puts "arguments" like this into perspective. All senseless really, just enjoy what's out there and roll with what works for you.

http://www.speedhunt...ull-of-choices/

• Like 2

Everything has standards, but they are at the bare minimum. I can go to the store and buy a battery powered dildo to fuck some ass with, i can buy the good one, or the low standered one, but chances are the low standered one will break after the first time!

rota6.jpg

rota5.jpg

rota4.jpg

rota2.jpg

rota1.jpg

rota.jpg

Ive been behind a truck that threw a wheel and back axel out before going down on swan island in my work truck, flying wheels are not fun, specially when they fly over your vehicle scaring the crap out of you.

Personally, I don't really care. What impresses me about a car is more the time put into it, the quality of the work, the amount of fabrication. To me just because somebody spent X amount of dollars on a set of rare wheels doesn't matter. I would rather see the X amount of time spent on some sweet custom fabrication. The high dollar parts aren't what make the car. It's the love that the builder puts into it that makes the car.

That being said, I would really like to get a set of real Watanabes...to bad I don't have that kind of bank roll.

• Like 1

Because Rota doesn't make SSR StarBright copies, or Advan A3A :D

I'd run Rotas, provided there wasn't an excessive weight penalty incurred for doing so. Even though copy wheels take away a lot of the "whoa that's cool" factor that I used to get when certain styles were less common.