any affordable safe west coast cities for families?

LeX

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Hawaii lol it's about as far west coast as it gets and so far every part of Maui has been great and super safe. I can drive 15-30 min and change an entire ecosystem and weather patterns. That being said Economy is great if you need a job but careers are few except for on Oahu. Way more city there and I wasn't a fan. Olympia washington is great too only an hour away from anything you could ever want. Would I ever raise a kid either of these places? Maybe but probably not. Oly you would end up raising a weirdo and if you care about education Hawaii is deffinately not the place for it but the family and friends structure and hawaiian way of life is incredible. I won't be going back. Only downside is it's in the middle of the pacific so you can't just drive someplace to snowboard for example.

Visit scenic Fresno! There's land! The occasional hill here and there. There's an underground forest! There's Pelco! There's Gallo winery! There's the Fresno Air Terminal (FAT)!

I haven't lived there in almost 5 years so I don't know what the cost of living is like there anymore. We actually lived in Clovis which is more or less the whiter part of Fresno on the outskirts. Clovis has some really good schools. Not so sure about Fresno though. If you're into agriculture it's the place to be.

Other pros of that part of the Central calley include: The Island Waterpark. A 45 min drive to Millerton lake. I think just under 2 hours to get to Sierra Summit for skiing. About 2 to 2 1/2 hours to get to Pismo Beach. 3-4 hours north of Bakersfield (HA!) and then a little more driving will get you into the L.A. Basin. If you head north from Fresno you can be in San Francisco in about 4 hours.

I'm sure there's other stuff worth noting but that there's a pretty good idea of the area there.

Sorry to bash on Fresno and Clovis----one of my friends lives in Clovis and I visited a couple times. Dry dustbowl and not very many tree's..........and hot. And not cheap to live in. But the schools are good I'm told.

Portland, Oregon and the subs like Skib said are pretty good---just go to Oregon City for good schools........and lots of Ratsun activity here. Canby and Blue Lake events, also in April the biggest swap meet in the U.S.A........then up north to more events in just 2-3 hours..........tho our beach is cool, the water is sooooooooooooo cold! I grew up in Florida and still havent gotten used to it. There are websites for school info and crime info for every city......good luck!

Sorry to bash on Fresno and Clovis----one of my friends lives in Clovis and I visited a couple times. Dry dustbowl and not very many tree's..........and hot. And not cheap to live in. But the schools are good I'm told.

I don't mind. But not many trees? I guess you missed the orchards that are all over the place there. I'm assuming you mean in general just being about, but you go up to Millerton and the mountains and you got your trees. But yeah, it's always brown because it's "hot" and it hardly ever rains. I put hot in quotes because I too used to think it was hot, but I then I came to the east coast. Dry heat has nothing on humid heat. Before we lived there we lived in Spanaway. I hated California compared to Washington.

Tri-Cities, WA

Fastest growing metropolitan in the nation.

Great schools. Good community.

Portland, Seattle, Boise, Spokane not far away.

The caravan to CanDy rolls through yearly!

;)

A $200,000 house in PDX is in the $140-160K range here.

I would have to second this. I have family that lives in Kennewick. The place is fantastic.

I would have to second this. I have family that lives in Kennewick. The place is fantastic.

I like it here.

And I'm finally starting to get the rest of the Datto Nuts out from under their parts stashes.

Today...1st of March...Bright blue skies; trace of clouds.

:D

I like it here.

And I'm finally starting to get the rest of the Datto Nuts out from under their parts stashes.

Today...1st of March...Bright blue skies; trace of clouds.

:D

LoL, that shit must have spilled over. Suns out here too, clouds off in the distance.

5353.awww+yeah.jpg

Someone said tumbleweeds earlier...sometimes. Not daily.

It is green here. Just not as green as Portland. But that only means less rain.

Windy days come and go.

We do get all 4 seasons here. Not like on the West side-Wet or dry.

I wear shorts 9 months of the year.

No where near the meth infection as other areas I have lived.

Would I move back to Portland---sure would!

Do I like it here---Yes.

driving into PDX is pretty easy.

just gotta get used to all the one way streets in the city.

fucking annoying at first, but you get used to it.

thanks skib you just reminded me of why i loath driving in san fransisco

There are dipshits everywhere west is not the best, I used to live in the atl compared to here its great. But city life traffic and schools suck. Hence the move back to the Midwest. Fl is cool but to many snow birds ... Old people from up north. I'm a military brat been everywhere. Home is where you make it, I fucking hate Ohio but its nice in the summer it snows for Xmas and schools aren't half bad. Not many dattos but just another reason to shit on the Honda kids :D

Whatever you do....

Don't come to the Bay Area... I believe it's one of the most expensive places to live, not enough rain, no snow, fucking crazy heat, and to top it off, it's in the vicinity of SF... whack city....

I think the Bay area and the rest of CA should be a two different states. if you go 100 miles east from the bay area, it is literally the middle of no where.

Yosemite is nice though, really nice.

5984027468_a6d1604391_b.jpg

Yeah I definitely don't want to live in the bay area lol! Y'all folks are confusing me haha. So much love and hate. I'm leaning towards Washington state perhaps .

Why go out west, when you can move up north to the NYC area. At $50K, & if your single, you already make more than 90% of the Brooklyn hipsters. Don't even live in NYC, move to NJ. The rent is CHEAP compared to NYC & if you live in Bergen, Hudson, or Passaic County you get the NYC view.