weber coming for it but i wanna get it some balls nothing crazy just a slightly

bigger cam and head...this is gonna be her daily well just for summer anyways

:lol: if anyone has done something similar with parts list and some advice

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would just putting one of these heads improve prefomance w/out jacking the compression to high?

I assume you have a 210 head on your L16.

Putting an A87 or U67, or any other head for that matter, will lower your compression.

The 210 has a smaller chamber, which kept compression up on the tiny L16,

as compared to the L18 or L20B that the other heads came on.

L24 flat tops in your L16 with a diff head will give you a boost.

But for less money, an L20B would be so much easier.

;)

yeah if putting the other heads on it would drop the compression that would be no good..cause we live in a hilly and mountianous region..

think i'll just do the cam like flatcat mentioned and maybe a larger exhaust and have head rebuilt...

thanks guys for yor advice n opinions if anyone has a good setup i'm all ears..since it'll be a couple months before i start this project due to the large amount of snow around it

:blink:

I looked at alot of post but seeing what i was really needing to

know...

got an all original L16 never rebuilt in my wifes 521..got a

weber coming for it but i wanna get it some balls nothing crazy just a slightly

bigger cam and head...this is gonna be her daily well just for summer anyways

:lol: if anyone has done something similar with parts list and some advice

"Never over cam or over carb and engine"

Your biggest drawback is the 210 head that came with the L16. It's perfect for what it does but does not lend itself to good breathing. Increasing the carb or the cam size is a step in the right direction but if running through tiny ports and valves it's effectiveness is choked off. All other heads have larger combustion chambers and will reduce your compression. So what to do...

The closest combustion chamber is the closed chamber A87 if you can find one. This will drop your compression from 8.58 to 8.21. Which is not the end of the world as you do get larger ports and valves with it. I would check the combustion chamber volume... it should be 41cc but may have already been milled for flatness. Shaving only .5mm or 20 thou will drop the size near to the stock 210 size. Now you have a similar compression head the breathes.

Forget the open chamber heads they will drop compression even further to 7.72

Thoughts on compression: Generally each point of compression adds or drops power by, at best, about 4%. So 8.58 down to 8.21 is 1.5% drop. On a 70 hp L16 this is just over one horse power. So, do we really care???

CAM

For a cam get one from an old L20B head (U-67 or W-58) This L20B cam specs are virtually the same as the SSSL16 cam. Get all the lifters and lash pads and keep in order so they run on the same lobes.

I would add the carb and the cam to the 210 head and enjoy it as is for now. At the same time keep your eyes open for a peanut A-87 head (closed chamber) and swap it later.

CARB

Make sure it's a new Weber or you will spend time looking for missing parts, re-jetting it and fixing problems with a worn out hunk of junk on a leaking adapter plate. Worth the $300 to not have your wife stuck somewhere or bitchin about how bad it runs and 'when you going to fix my truck?" A 32/36 is almost too big for an L16 and will only run properly if jetted and tuned properly.

EXHAUST

A 1'78" would be fine. Too large drops exhaust gas speed which is beneficial and needed at low speed. A low(er) restriction (turbo) muffler will give a small top end increase, does nothing at drive around town speeds except make noise. Honestly, for the small gains at top speed and the losses at low, and the noise, not really worth the bother and expense. The L16 exhaust manifold is next to perfect and is basically a cast iron header... KEEP IT!

hearervsstockL16-18-1.jpg

well only got 1 L20 and it's in the 72 1/2 620.....she'd like to keep the orig. engine....i got a couple l20 heads laying around,carb coming and got to do a rebuild anyways so i'll just go this route..if i have to rejet the weber it won't break my heart :lol: ...i appreciate all the info

You mentioned that you live in a hilly area, but are you carrying loads with it? Do you really need grunt, off the line power or are you looking for more top end power? I currently drive a 510 4 door. I was told that my L16 wouldn't run well with the lower compression W58 head, but it's what I had, so I ran it anyway against almost everyone's opinion. I can't honestly tell a bit of difference when I start from a stop sign, but it seems to have more power and really sing on the highway, much better than it was before. I'm guessing due to the larger valves and it breathing better. I kind of like the lower compression myself. I can run the cheap ass gas with my timing pretty well advanced and on ice cold mornings when people are having trouble starting their car, mine spins over with ease. :P It seems to run a little cooler too. :D

I guess my point is, you need to weigh bigger valves and better breathing VS. higher compression... You can also bump up your compression a little by running a thinner head gasket. I don't think anyone mentioned that. ;) If you do a search on the web, there's lots of companies you can order head gaskets in various thicknesses. Stock is about .44 thick, I know I've seen as thin as .22 :o

Maybe ad a mild performance cam and a Weber carb at the same time.

Thoughts on compression: Generally each point of compression adds or drops power by, at best, about 4%. So 8.58 down to 8.21 is 1.5% drop. On a 70 hp L16 this is just over one horse power. So, do we really care???

Back in the '70s I had a warped L20B head. Couldn't wait a week while it was being milled so not knowing any better I threw the only other head I had on while the U-67 was in getting milled... a 210 from my '68 510. Datsun dealer said it wouldn't work when I was buying the gasket. Of course it fit just fine... 9.23 compression and I noticed no difference.