"HEAD" question???

Dirttrack510

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so i talked to Rebello about my carbs & they say i need dual 45mm webers, so i'll be selling off my SU stuff to help pay for the Weber set-up. UGH!!!

You had mentioned about running SUs to be in a stock class? Screw the webers then, turbo it!

I'm in northeast Ohio, and never heard of dirt oval racing for import cars, Where do you race and what do their rules say? Shit, you might as well look for a GT3 motor. Malcom Garret was selling some 2L+ motors, as well as Wolf Creek racing, if you're going to run an L16 all out race motor. Buy a proven power plant and just freshen it up.

You might be able to get it through tech, if you can modify a U20 intake to fit, and do such a good job they don't notice. The intake will need to have a Nissan part # on it to convince them. A cannon or mikuni manifold will be aftermarket and not OE.

Be prepared to get a VERY thick wallet out, if you can find one.Those roadster guys are really proud of their stuff.

You might be able to get it through tech, if you can modify a U20 intake to fit, and do such a good job they don't notice. The intake will need to have a Nissan part # on it to convince them. A cannon or mikuni manifold will be aftermarket and not OE.

Be prepared to get a VERY thick wallet out, if you can find one.Those roadster guys are really proud of their stuff.

U20 came with 1 3/4" ports, good luck with that! A very thick wallet indeed!!!

U20 came with 1 3/4" ports, good luck with that! A very thick wallet indeed!!!

Ha Ha, I never said it was logical, or practical. But with enough TIG welding, fab work and clean up, anythings possible. Maybe graft the Nissan serial #'s from a completely different part onto a cannon.

Nothing to exciting to report, I went to my shop and worked on the Race wagon this weekend a little. I put a new clutch on the old engine, till this new one is done I gotta run the old one.

Anyway, I was looking at the head on the Race wagon (sorry on pics) and it has a "#23" stamping on the back side of the head, but I couldn't find any normal head marks a.k.a. 210, U67, A83 etc. does anyone know what head that would be? It's painted blue if that matters, although anyone could have painted it I guess. I've just never heard of anyone mentioning a #23 stamping mark before. :unsure:

We don't go by stamping marks. But rather "210", "U67", etc. are cast numbers and so do not uniquely identify the head. They are actually the applied model codes. That's why there is so much confusion about open/closed chamber versions. Both can have the same casting number.

As far as I know, no one knows what the stamped or scratched numbers indicate.

Usually there's a #__ scrawled on the back (cast in, since it was scrawled in the reverse mold). Means nothing special. Probably just the inspector number, or the tooling number, when the cast was made.

head1.jpg

head2.jpg

head3.jpg

head4.jpg

head5.jpg

In no particular order, the pictures are of 2 U67, 2 W58, and one W53 head. One of the W58s is known closed, and the U67 heads consist of an early U67 and a late U67. Note that the numbers bear no significance except the bottom number MIGHT be a date. To add to the fun, one head has nothing on the back (though everything else, not shown, is quite visible).

For Dirttrack510, if you put up pictures we could see what you see. The casting numbers always are on the bottom under the spark plugs OR on the front, near the inspection cover. Only VERY early heads had the number up front. It's also possible someone ground off the numbers to confuse people.

Those numbers you just showed are what I'm looking at. I'll look on the front of the head like you mentioned. There's nothing on the sides. It is a 69 head, so maybe it is on the front.... under a bunch of oil and grease. :(

My adjustable cam gear came in the mail today :D . Has anyone on here ever used this sprocket before? It came with no instructions, so I don't know what numbers and letters are for which timing adjustments. If noone knows, I can probably call a Nissan dealer and get the info. The timing marks are A, B, C, D, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

8positioncamshaftsprocket.jpg

i found the 210 on my race car engine. it was on the front covered in grease. go figure. lol...

I'm running an Weber 40 DFAV-1 carb on that engine with an edelbrock intake. So far, I haven't gotten "called" on running that set up.

Will this carb be big enough to feed the race engine when it's done or does anyone know? 46MM intake, 38mm exhaust. .580 lift L4 Isky racing cam. full port and polish, 5 angle valve job. Forged pistons and probably about 13:1 compression.

Oh yeah, 1675CC engine. .060 overbore L16

• 4 months later...

Ok, so this thread has been dead for a while, but it was time for an update. I got my U67 head back from the machine shop and it looks awesome, 4 angle valve job, full port and polish, 46MM intake valves (it was a tight fit), 38MM exhaust valves, ISKY L4 camshaft (.580 lift), ISKY racing springs and keeper, absolutely the best of everything that I could think to buy for it. It cost about $1300 total for parts and labor, but it should really be a screamer on the race track.

L20Bengine001.jpg

L20Bengine002.jpg

L20Bengine003.jpg

L20Bengine004.jpg

L20Bengine005.jpg

That purple dye is machinist dye, for anyone who wondered. I would say that this is the ABSOLUTE LARGEST VALVES THAT WILL FIT IN AN L SERIES ENGINE.

280Z valves are 44mm intake and 38mm exhaust.