Just went halves on an S10.

My roommate and I love us some vintage Datsuns.

After both of us searching for about 4 years, we came across a rarity in the vintage Datsun world.

After seeing one in the junkyard long ago, we vowed that one of us would get one of these.

So imagine my surprise when one popped up for sale.

Instead of fighting over who got to buy it, we went halves. This is such an amazing design. Up until I came across it on craigslist, I had never seen one outside of two I had seen in the junkyard.

So may I introduce GunMachine's newest project, one of the few surviving S10 200SX/Silvias.

0131121259.jpg

0131121254b.jpg

0131121254.jpg

0131121258.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice! Similar to the one Farrah drove.

The S10 was originally designed for Nissan's rotary engine, hence the swoopy design.

b0032035_22424989.jpg

They had the engine running on test tracks when the auto economy crashed in 1974. Unfortunately the new engine was cancelled, but they still had plenty of time to redesign the S10 for the L-series engine. Basically they just used 610 parts.

383.jpg

Never thought of flares for this car, but that sketch has a certain kind of stance that I wouldn't mind having...

I'm the other half-owner. I was specifically planning to not buy any cars right now (saving up for down payment on FR-S), but these cars don't come up for sale every day so I had to co-pull the trigger on this one. We've talked a bit about what happens with it in "the divorce", which will probably happen within a few years when one of us turns a lady friend into a wife. Most likely, one of two things will happen: one of us will buy out the other half when we go our separate ways, or we'll find another rare vintage Jap to go halves on again (Colt, maybe?) and then each of us can have one to keep.

No immediate plans for it, aside from replacing the front seats and giving the whole interior a much-needed deep-clean. (And track down the owner of a certain gray Avalon in our alley who tagged the front fender when they were backing up Friday afternoon... I have photos of a gray smudge in our dent, and a beige smudge on their rear bumper... good times...) We'll do some sketches and see what ideas stick.

I'm with mike.

Other than that congrats on a rare score. So *ahem* why only 4 OICs?

Don't have many more shots yet; haven't had a chance to really clean it up. Had to clear out some space in the garage so there aren't anymore incidents in the alley; here are a few shots of the time machines before I put them away...

100_6451.jpg

100_6447.jpg

100_6445.jpg

Hey, I like it! I've seen so many trashed 1st gen SXs (okay mostly mine), it is always surprising to see a nice one. If I hadn't seen a nice one once in real life, I would think guys are just Photoshopping their SX pics.

New co-owner Joel - I have no idea what an FR-S is that you are saving up for, but you did the right thing by investing in an old Datsun instead.

I hope you guys are able to take the SX to lots of car shows, since most people have never seen one of these. Educate the folks about Japanese classics!

Len

• 2 months later...

Finally an update!

Since last posting, the following has happened;

I bought Joel's half out, so he can focus on his 260Z 2+2.

I finally finished my school term. YES! FREE TIME, finally.

I removed the huge bumpers, and picked up some mystery parts..

And the 200SX's non-op finally ran out.

So today I bit the bullet, and attempted to do something with the Datsun to get it out of the garage.

I cleaned out all the motorcycles, parts, and tools from around it, and after a few cranks it started right up.

It turns out it needed test only smog to register it, so needless to say, I was nervous.

I shouldn't have been, as it passed with flying colors, and I was able to register it and get it on the road!

First thing I did was take it to a car wash, and spray off the year or two's worth of grime and dust the car had on it.

So here's some pics! or Oics, or whatever...

0502121732.jpg

0502121732a.jpg

0502121733.jpg

0502121733b.jpg

0502121744a.jpg

0502121753.jpg

0502121754.jpg

0502121754a.jpg

0502121801.jpg

0502121802.jpg

0502121802b.jpg

0502121803.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This has been a busy weekend with the S10.

First, I took it to Cars and Coffee in Irvine. You wouldn't believe all the reactions it got. There were two Hakosuka Skyline's there, but I bet this is the first time a 2nd gen "Silvia" has ever shown up.

DSC00301-X2.jpg

DSC00302-X2.jpg

From there, we went to the junkyard, and what are the chances, the only 70's Datsun in any of the yards was an S10!

This one originally came from Washington according to the paperwork found in the glovebox, which leads me to believe that besides mine, the only S10's in existence are still in Washington, where they seem to be getting junked on a daily basis. :( The car was complete except for the distributor, and my friend Joel got a pick before we started taking it apart, but the pics I took were the "after" shots.

0512121240b.jpg

0512121240a.jpg

0512121240.jpg

0514121057.jpg

We actually recognized this car, it was for sale on Craigslist for a couple weeks, with a final price of $500. The problem was at the time, I had just got the S10, and we didn't have any place to store it, or the spare cash to buy it.

I did end up getting a front fender filler panel, hood trim, dome light, HVAC panel with vents, front and rear seats, and the windshield. I've never spent $300 at a junkyard before, but I figured this would be my one and only chance to get S10 parts, so I jumped at it.

Original seats compared to the replacements (the original passenger seat won't even stay vertical.

0512121655.jpg

0512121650.jpg

Installed. They need a good dusting.

0512121726.jpg

I also stopped by the Z store in Orange, on a hunch, and bought the shifter rebuild kit for the Z.

It turns out my guess was correct, and the Dogleg tranny uses the same pin and bushings as the Z transmission.

The shifter feel now is amazing.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...