• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OEM lock pulls for a member here:

7596371290_814e32950f_z.jpg

Column shift knob:

7597884704_0fb4a984d8_z.jpg

No installed pics of the shift knob as I have yet to tap it. I also need to make a turn signal knob so everything matches. All this should be done tonight/tomorrow morning while I'm at work.

So talking with Q-tip a bit and thinking about picking up an LSD. I have to have as many drivetrain upgrades to help out in the "make it fun to drive" category since I'm keeping the auto. Eventually I'll go for some engine upgrades, but there's a few LSDs available in the area for a decent price.

I've got a few dollars to spend and not 100% sure what to get... LSD is looking pretty good as I could use it for the rainy weather up here. Most of the LSD discussions focus on pairing up a good 5spd with specific gears. What about the auto folks? I never plan to put out huge numbers, and I DD the car so I'd like something fun on the street. I also never plan on breaking 70 really so I think I'd like more dead-stop lowend torque more than reduced top-end RPMs.

Thoughts?

I've got a line on a great priced, awesome condition VLSD but it's rocking 4.44 gears... Most I see Datsun guys talk about is 4.11.

So talking with Q-tip a bit and thinking about picking up an LSD. I have to have as many drivetrain upgrades to help out in the "make it fun to drive" category since I'm keeping the auto. Eventually I'll go for some engine upgrades, but there's a few LSDs available in the area for a decent price.

I've got a few dollars to spend and not 100% sure what to get... LSD is looking pretty good as I could use it for the rainy weather up here. Most of the LSD discussions focus on pairing up a good 5spd with specific gears. What about the auto folks? I never plan to put out huge numbers, and I DD the car so I'd like something fun on the street. I also never plan on breaking 70 really so I think I'd like more dead-stop lowend torque more than reduced top-end RPMs.

Thoughts?

I've got a line on a great priced, awesome condition VLSD but it's rocking 4.44 gears... Most I see Datsun guys talk about is 4.11.

What up Tristin. Like the parts you've been working on, they look great!

From what I recall for gearing, when the gearing numbers get higher, the faster it will accelerate, but the overall top speed will be less. So if the "dead-stop lowend" speed is what your after, it sounds like it would be a good gear option for you. As far as the discussions being more about the 4.11 gearing, I'd think it would be because it was a more common LSD out of Surbarus, rather than the 4.44 that was found in automatics, and not as available to begin with. I may be assuming, but the vlsd you are looking at picking up with the 4.44 was from a Subaru?

Hey David!

See that was my understanding on gearing in general, but was unsure of automatic specifics. Everything I've read talks about pairing the gear ratio to the trans gearing... Wanted to make sure I was doing a good combo on the unit I'm looking at with regards to the Datsun 3spd. Yeah, the unit I'm looking at is a 4.44 VLSD out of a 2001 Subaru Forrester S.

Hey David!

See that was my understanding on gearing in general, but was unsure of automatic specifics. Everything I've read talks about pairing the gear ratio to the trans gearing... Wanted to make sure I was doing a good combo on the unit I'm looking at with regards to the Datsun 3spd. Yeah, the unit I'm looking at is a 4.44 VLSD out of a 2001 Subaru Forrester S.

You'll hate the freeway with that gearing.

My 510 currently has the Jatco auto 3 speed and 60mph rpms meh.

Why not do the tranny swap? I mean column shift is cool and all.. but manual is better...

LSD rears are the worst thing in the snow and ice ever..Especially with an auto, because you cant ease into it like a manual.

My wifes 88 supra turbo was / is a god damn nightmare, when the snow sticks on der highways.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the VLSD diffs are not a direct swap into a dime and will require some costly adapters or custom axles. The easier swap is the earlier clutch LSD. there is a link to a long article about exactly which subi LSD's will work in the how to section I think. 4.44 gears without an overdrive might be pretty buzzy on the highway too.

Hey David!

Tristin,

Everyone has an opinion, but you are the only one with a set of keys for your car. Stick, or auto will get you there all the same. BTW you can bump start a car with an auto tranny, you just need a big enough hill. Get up enough speed and eventually the torque converter will tune over the motor. Just my $.02.

Hey what would a pair of those lock pulls go for?

I didn't see anywhere where it mentions which half shafts ate better until you get near the end and there's a quote by RatDat saying VLSDs are a pain... Back on the hunt I guess.

Paradime, either style would be $25 shipped per pair. You can buy plastic replacement ones for $15 plus tax and shipping online.

Hey David!

Here's a good write up I just found on getting that subaru LSD into your 510. http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/Subaru.htm

BTW, I messaged you on FB, so be sure to get back to me on it.

Keep in mind stock gear ratios for the 510 were 3.7 and 3.9. Auto wagons were in fact 3.9, I am not sure if that is the same for the sedans.

With 3.9s I was not happy with the engine rpm on the freeway with my auto. Having a dogleg 5 speed dropped it down to about 3k at 65mph. I would stay with 4.11s