223 or not 223

71-521

Well yesterday I went and picked up the truck ]2edeye posted about....

thanks for hooking it up!

on the way there some yahoo decided to run up on to the tow dolly

20070416_001340_PICT0007m.jpg

only dented the fender but wasted 2 hours!

got up there and was suprised to find this truck in this shape

20070416_001723_PICT0050m.jpg

complete E-1 motor/trans...60hp emblems...steering wheel center cap...flared fenders are really straight...

got it loaded up and went down the road and noticed the passenger rear tire was wobbling....pulled over and found this:

20070416_002651_PICT0059m.jpg

looked like someone either took off or tried to put on the tire and forgot to tighten the lug nuts...sat so long they rusted and when I did the tire inspection before we left I overlooked it!

It could have been very dangereous...I went to Kmart and bought some WD-40, sprayed the heck out of it and went to dinner...

It took me forever to tighten the nuts as I didn't want to snap a stud or strip them out...

20070416_003204_PICT0064m.jpg

not even a 1/4 turn at a time forwards and backwards but I got them!

55mph the whole way back...less on the smaller roads...

we finally got home at almost 1am!

Would have called you ]2edeye but it was late when we hit I-5 again!

It has a straighter bumper than the one I just picked up for the 320:

20070416_004139_PICT0067m.jpg

and the dash has all the knobs! the 223 dash is a welded part of the truck

20070416_004639_PICT0071m.jpg

check out these tail lights, blinkers and the bumper:

20070416_005009_PICT0082m.jpg

anyone know what these seats are out of?

20070416_005323_PICT0088m.jpg

they are on runners and have a catch to flip them forward...not just the back but the whole seat! someone hacked up the mounts for the passenger one so I gotta find another one as they are super comfortable!

I love how the doors and hood stay all the way open:

20070416_005830_PICT0089m.jpg

love the wheel flares...

20070416_010130_PICT0098m.jpg

let me know what you think...should I save it or cut it up for parts??

The reason I ask weather I should cut it up is there is a paper discrepancy....

title says 320, frame says 223...

what sucks is that it's one of only 113...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep it Paul! Something might rub up against the numbers on the frame and make them disappear if you know what I mean? Like the DMV would know the diff between a 320 and a 223! Hell, half of us enthusiasts didn't know the diff until it was pointed out!

It's a 63?

223's were made from 61 thru early 62...you tell me...approx 113 registered...

looking at the data for the vin's I've seen I think mine is one of the last ones made before the 320 model switch...

I'm debating on keeping it or using the parts...

if I can find that site again that has the data plate blanks, then I'd keep it for sure...

the 320 windshield will fit it (tried it yesterday) I got plexi in it for now...

I've taken pictures of the differences of the 2...

not sure if I should share them or not...

If I keep it, I might just do a body swap with something else...

anyone know what these seats are out of?

they are on runners and have a catch to flip them forward...not just the back but the whole seat! someone hacked up the mounts for the passenger one so I gotta find another one as they are super comfortable!

I could be wrong remembering back 40 years, but it seems to me that the early Ford Bronco had tilting seats '66 and on.

• 2 weeks later...
Kinda illegal but I say get some punches & stamp in the correct vin #...:D they'll never know the diff.
but I/we will know....not an option for me...

the stamping was forward of the mount...

seemed like it would have been under the radiator if it had one in it...

couldn't remember where on the 320 it was and had to scrape around to find it...

with it being one of about 113 then I'm going to go for it and do what I can to keep it...

even if I have to ditch the frame, the body will stay with me...

I don't know of any other car/truck as rare as this one...

except the earlier ones...

2eDeYe;7092'']I'd go for the lost title, I had no problems when I did mine for my jeep and I was able to register it in my name no problem...then you be able to keep the whole rare truck ;)

Really? I need a title for my 59, I hear if you buy it from a middle state it doesn't need a tittle if its older than 70 or maybe 80 I forget. If you get my drift :D Did you have to get it inspected?

Yep, I got it inspected but they just check the vin #'s to make sure it's not stolen. I think you can even trailer them in to get inspected...

Another thing to remember is back in the day they didn't title a vehicle until it was sold. So sometimes things can get a little grey on older vehicles as far as dates on the title and things like that.

I may just start the process, the guy I got it from said his friend saved if from the scrap yard then gave it to the dude I got it from. He said his buddy never got the tittle. It was last tabbed before I was born :D 79 haha

Guest DatsuNoob

Man, that thing is too cool!! I say keep it. You dont see many of those on the road, and it's in killer shape for how old it is. You'd be sure to turn some heads cruisin down the road in that. If it were mine, I'd try to keep everything as original as possible. That's a score to find one in such good shape!! :cool: