Where are you guys putting your fire extinguishers?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MUST BE SECURED!!! Don't want to be hit by the damn thing in an accident, plus it's not likely to be where you left it when you need it. Also not where YOU will hit it in an accident... like on a roll bar. In front of driver's seat is great. Except this is where the jack is kept in my 710.... passenger side then.

I think fire extinguishers are cool. Make your ride look dangerous ( a 40yo datsun is!) and can save a life or property. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! Oh I keep mine between my buckets in the 521. It needs to be secured, as of now it will probably be found in my abdomen during my autopsy, post any crash in this death trap.

• Like 1

Cars can catch fire, surely you've passed a car on fire? You don't have to be in an accident to have a fire either. You could save someone's life or their car, but altruism aside, for me it would be mainly to save my own Datsun that I would pack one.

Brake overheated

Fuel leak, tank, lines carb EFI.

Electrical 'short'.

Hot exhaust rubbing something.

Catalytic converter and dry grass.

Cigarette or vehicle accident.

• Like 1

once, the solenoid of my starter caught on fire, it was not much, but since that day I decided to keep a extinguisher inside because of the carbs and fuel hose veeeeery near exhaust.

Not like some hunduhs that put them on the windshield frame and is a small bottle that, with the nervousism, you wont hit the fire and it wont be enough to shut down a real fire.

something like this:

6463_prelude_5.jpg

:) question ... Why are fire extinguishers needed?

most of the time there not.

but when they are your going to be happy as fuck you have one.

for years I have always carried one in all of my vehicles.

never used one ever until one day,

came up on full size dodge truck and a VW cabriolet that had just hit head on seconds before.

needless to say the VW was on fire :rolleyes:

so I got the handy extinguisher out and put the fire out while some other guys got the driver out of the car.

later one of the guys that pulled the driver (and same from a trooper a bit after that) comes up and says:

man Im sure glad you had that extinguisher, no one else here even had one.

that VW would have been a bonfire in the middle of a 5 lane road other wise.

never needed it before.... and havent used one since....

..... but it just proves that you never know when your going to need one.

(also proves that VW cabriolet's get FUCKED up in serious crashes,

got hit so hard it tore off the hood and bent the frame so much every panel on the car was warped by inches)

• Like 1

How about at the base of the drivers seat. I know the wagons are designed to keep the jack there, but I dont. I would rather keep a fire extinguisher there.

As for putting out car fires...

Riding shotgun in my friends VW bus, full of people. Bus is going up the hill, we stop at a light. A lady in a Subaru pulls up next to us and in a very english accent says "There are flames under your van." Immediately we pull over in front of a Chinese food restaurant (closest parking lot). I run the the rear hatch and check to make sure it wasn't hot, it was not so I opened it carefully. I order 2 of the girls in the bus to go get a fire extinguisher from the restaurant, they come back with a pitcher of water... Awesome... At this point the driver of the bus (my good friend at the time) throws his keys on the ground in a fit of anger... I douse the flames with the water, and all was good.

So what happened? PO had siliconed the oil drain plug in, ran an external oil filter, and used horrible fittings. It leaked oil onto the catalytic converter making some nice flames, Which then caught the engine compartment seal on fire as well as melting the plastic guard on the intake.

That day was pretty funny...

Carry an extinguisher, if not for your car, for the next poor guy you come across with his car on fire.