Dirt track 510 Race car (Lets go fast and turn left)

Should I bring this to the JCCS 2012 or not?  

1. 1. Should I bring this car to the JCCS, yes or no?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Just a quick update...

The roll cage is finished being welded in and the front and rear bracing is done, this weekend were going to install the seat mounts and seat belt tabs then it's on to braces and wiring then I have to build a new race engine for it. Pics coming soon

• 5 months later...

Today I worked on this car a lot... Here's some pics for yall.... :rofl:  :rofl:

1st I pulled the Grenade motor outta the "Race Wagon"

Datsunracecarpics1502_zps9fe41a1c.jpg

Then I pulled out the old motor from this car...

Datsunracecarpics1494_zpsceb7b233.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1498_zpsd6889925.jpg

Then I put in the "Grenade Engine" :devil:

Datsunracecarpics1506_zps612cd5d8.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1509_zpsab05dfee.jpg

I'm having Clutch Throw Out Bearing issues, so I gotta figure that out tomorrow, stay tuned... :thumbup:

Ok guys, help me out here....

I just measured the depth/thickness of my clutch assembly mounted on my flywheel and it's 1 5/8"

The stock 510 assembly is 2 1/8" deep/thick

Anyone know what the skinny assembly is from so I can get the right T/O bearing?

ROADSTER???

Ok, it's oic time :w00t:

Here's a pic of the stock 510 T/O bearing and collar (on left) compared to the 1978 200 SX (on right) that is now installed in the car. My clutch arm is just a little forward of being centered in the access hole in the side of the trans now that the 200 SX bearing assm. is installed. I should be good to go now and have plenty of push against the pressure plate :thumbup:

engineswap012_zps8f866501.jpg

Here's a pic of the clutch arm now that the new bearing is installed.

engineswap015_zpsf39205bd.jpg

top view of both bearings...

engineswap013_zpsbcccb24a.jpg

Engine installed for good, or till something breaks... :rofl:

engineswap014_zps7dedcc82.jpg

engineswap017_zps8bbf43ef.jpg

engineswap016_zps17278b04.jpg

couple shots of the engine compartment, before the engine went in, to show some of the bracing...

engineswap009_zpsd4d27b0f.jpg

engineswap008_zps4951155f.jpg

engineswap007_zpsd948c6d6.jpg

Random garage oics...

engineswap011_zps5fb8f973.jpg

engineswap006_zpsc619cf3f.jpg

Hood fits with the engine installed and closes completely, unlike in the race wagon... I'm guessing I've had frame damage on the race wagon for a while, since I've had hood clearance issues in that car for about a year. :confused:

engineswap018_zpsf622e6f0.jpg

That Yellow Expanded Metal in front of the radiator is to give extra support and protection to the radiator and core support areas in case there any "rubbing" on the track :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  

I'm planning to spend the holiday weekend with the future wife :thumbup: , so no more work till Monday :sneaky:

I just ordered all new brake stuff for this project from Rock Auto :thumbup:

I am looking for Complete rear brake hardware kits for this car and can't find em' anywhere. Anyone know where I cant find em' or if they interchange with the 240Z kit? Rockauto and all the local parts places say they have no 510 kits...

Since I can't race, I'm going to go watch everyone else go fast tonight at the track :hmm:

Today was fairly productive with the New Race Car...

I installed the clutch slave cylinder and filled the reservoir with fresh fluid and after about an hour and half :sick:  of bleeding the bleeder and pumping the crap out of the clutch pedal MY CLUTCH WORKS!!! I've never had a clutch that felt as good as this one, so I guess I finally have the right combo of parts put together :thumbup:  My push rod for the clutch is backed all the way off and has just a touch of play in it to keep the pressure off the pressure plate with the pedal at rest. I don't think it could be any better. I can't express how great it feels to finally have a properly working clutch in a race car after 4 years of finding the "sweet spot" to make a shift. :crying:

More updates to come :w00t:

• 5 months later...

I need brake hardware kits for the rear of this car. I've tried O'Reiley Auto parts, Auto Zone, Rock Auto Parts, and looked on Google and have had no luck. Rock Auto is the only place that seems to carry the kit, but they are out of stock. Anyone have a line on spring/hardware kits?

• 1 year later...

:P

Why would you move there.  :sick:

Sick of snow and rusty cars. :P  Also, me and my wife can make more than double our current salary if we make the move. I'm planning to keep racing though. Probably in the " Vintage Auto Racing Association" where people don't destroy each others cars and my racing class wouldn't be considered second class citizens. :w00t:

To many people live there, actually to many people live here also, and they have a lot of rules about cars, they won't even let semi trucks in their state unless they meet their standards, and I would vote to not let them ship their sub-standard food here myself, they grow edible cardboard there.