Dirt track 510 Race car (Lets go fast and turn left)

Should I bring this to the JCCS 2012 or not?  

1. 1. Should I bring this car to the JCCS, yes or no?

I was just thinking (there's smoke coming outta my ears now :rofl: ) ... Since I'm building this car to race with I can actually save this car...Racecarpics002.jpg

I bought this car pretty well stripped out, but the car I'm building now has most the pieces I needed to build the other one :w00t: ! Just what I needed another project. :rofl: I hated the idea of building a race car out if it to start with, but it had no dash, VIN or anything, but I can swap all that crap from this rust bucket I'm building a race car out of and save the rust free car! Yeah!

By the way... I have another dash I can send to mcmlxxxv if he needs one. I have a parts car that I forgot still has a dash in it. I guess it all starts to blurr together when you own six 510's :thumbup:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been thinking of taking the dsah out of mine for wire cleanup, LED retro-fit, and fresh air vent blocking, but Im not sure I want to tackle it with a car I have to DD. Maybe if I started early on a Friday I could have it done by the time I had to go to work on a Monday.

Glad to hear you can save one from the grave!

Well it was a long day out in the garage. I removed the headliner and saved the "rods", removed the hinge springs for the trunk, took out the rear window and both quarter windows, removed ALL the wiring, removed the tail lights, pulled the spare engine from the trunk (yeah that's right, the trunk :rofl: ), straightened out the rear quarter panel and tail light panel (sort of), installed hood pins on hood and trunk, removed the sill plates and finally started vaccuming out the car (i have a lot more cleaning to do). I labeled and bagged all my screws etc. so I can use em' at a later date for my other car. Overall it was a pretty productive day. :thumbup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

enginefromtrunk.jpg

Here's a few last photos of the car before it goes to get the cage installed...

Interior

2doorracecarloadedup004.jpg

It's all loaded up and ready to go :thumbup:

2doorracecarloadedup003.jpg

2doorracecarloadedup001.jpg

2doorracecarloadedup005.jpg

I'm gonna drop it off at my friends shop tomorrow and we'll be starting the roll cage install. Being that this is such a rough car, I'm going to be installing a used roll cage from a "Late Model" dirt track car. The same way I did it in the race wagon. I already bought the cage, so now I just have to cut it out of the Late Model race car and fit it inside my 510 :thumbup:

I'll try to post pics as we do the work.

Well, I dropped it off at my friends shop yesterday and tomorrow we're starting the build. My friend says the first thing we're gonna do is scale it to see how much it weigh's and where the weight is and then we'll put it on a diet (remove every bit of metal we don't need). I guess it's time for a little "Lipocutsion", then we'll be starting on fitting the cage.

I started working on the car today, first thing we did was scale the car. It weight 1,451 lbs. as it sits right now. Then we started getting into taking stuff off. removed the battery tray and some various tabs, then we removed the front apron so we could get the front ready to install and weld a square frame in front of the radiator. Once that's done, the apron will go back on. We also got out the big hammer and straightened out the radiator support since it was bent up.

frontapronremoved.jpg

Then we sat down and measured up what all we needed to order to finish the cage install. That's about it for today, came home and ordered the steel I'm gonna need (won't be here till next week) :mad: I'm sure we can find plenty to do though in the mean time.

I also looked at some different wheels, here's what I'm considering buying :D Probably in the silver.

stockcarwheels.jpg

Any opinions on the wheels? These have D.O.T. shells, so they're legal in my class.

Well, I'm beat....

I headed out today at 7:30am to head over to my friends shop to work on the race car. The first thing I had to do today was run by South County Industrial Supply to order my custom made Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines. They told me they'd be ready to pick up tomorrow morning. :thumbup: No 40 year old brake hoses for me :no:

After that I headed over to my friends shop to start working on the race car. When I got there he wasn't there yet, so I went on in and started working on what I could. The first thing I did was install new brake and clutch master cylinders. :D

Day2001.jpg

After that, I removed the stock gas tank, which by the way is for sale if anyone needs one complete with the little vent canister thingy that was mounted above it. It will come complete with the sending unit. :D

Day2002.jpg

Shortly after that, my friend showed up and helped remove the rest of the battery tray while I removed the center overhead roof support.

Next on the agenda was to remove the stock rear lug studs, drill out the lug holes, and install the new racing lug studs. THIS WAS A BITCH!!! I'm just sayin'... :sneaky:

Day2003.jpg

Then we started measuring up things to reinforce, strenthen, protect, and support the front end. (sorry no pics)

At this point it was about 8pm at night, so we called it a day at the shop, but then I had to go to my storage building to pick up supplies for tomorrows work. Here's a shot of my daily, all loaded up and ready for tomorrow.

Day2004.jpg

Who says you need a truck??? DO IT IN A DATSUN :D

Tomorrow is gonna be a big day :o I'm pretty sure that after tomorrow the car will never be the same, so it won't be for the "faint of heart" :no:

More updates tomorrow night :thumbup:

Well, it was another busy day. As if I didn't already have enough stuff in and on my car, I loaded up some more parts...

Day3001.jpg

Day3002.jpg

The first thing I had to do today was "disassemble" the race car that the roll cage is coming from. The donor car is a one year old Rayburn Outlaw Late Model. Here is a pic of what it looked like to start with.

Day3003.jpg

Here it is with the front end cut off, so I can remove the center roll cage section.

Day3004.jpg

Here's a couple shots of my car with the first half of the cage slid inside.

Day3006.jpg

Day3005.jpg

Here's a shot of it with both halves slid inside. This part was a bitch, it's not easy to install a complete cage inside a car without cutting off the roof, but we got it in there :thumbup:

Day3008.jpg

Here's the last photo of the day, (sorry it's blurry) it's almost fitted and in and ready to start welding. :w00t:

You can see from the photo below that I had to remove the door pillar from behind the door to get the cage in the car, but it'll be welded back in when the cage is finished.

It won't be long now. :thumbup:

Day3007.jpg

If you look closely at the floors and the rear interior panels, you'll see that the "diet" is starting :devil:

More to come soon :P

Thanks, I've been busting my hump for the last few days. I put a lot of effort into trying to get lots of work done on it, since it's in my friends shop taking up space. I'm really trying to get it done as fast as possible.

However, today was Race Day, so I didn't work on it at all. Saturdays are really busy with the race track. I'm really trying to make top ten in points for the season and I can't afford to miss one Saturday, I'm currently in 12th out of about 40 drivers.

Well, it was another hot one out at my friends shop, the thermometer said it was 112 degrees outside and I was in a big steel out building. I don't even wanna know how hot it was in there. Anyways, I stuck to it and got a lot of work done on the car today.... If you don't wanna see the "graphic" images don't look at these pics. :crying:

First thing to go today was the trunk floor...

Day4007.jpg

Day4004.jpg

Day4008.jpg

I'll be welding in square tubing directly to the remaining frame, where the crossmember bolt on. Then we'll be attaching the roll cage and the rear bumper to the square tubing.

Then I cut out the inner structure from the rear seat door panel area, that'll loose a few more pounds and also make it easier to push it back out if I get hit there, it also makes more clearance for the roll cage.

passenger side

Day4009.jpg

Drivers side

Day4010-1.jpg

Then I took off the original right front strut assembly and installed the one I modified, by cutting the base of the strut tube at an angle and the rewelding it to the base. I also mounted up my hub with the racing studs installed at the same time with all new bearings and seals.

Day4005.jpg

Then I mounted up the wheel to see how much camber I got from modifying the strut.

Day4006.jpg

I think it looks good with the new angle on the dangle. :thumbup:

That was about it for today, but then I got home and found this waiting for me....

Day4012.jpg

Yeah baby, brand new 4 gallon racing fuel cell :thumbup:

More to come soon...

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update.... I'm still collecting parts for the race car. I just bought these, they arrived on Friday. :thumbup: They are Bassett Racing Wheels. 14" X 7" wide. Three of em' are 4" back spacing and the one on the bottom left is a 1" back space (for the right front). I can't wait to get some tires on em' and mount em' up on the car.

2012-10-15_00-35-28_352.jpg

• 1 month later...

I went over to my friends shop and worked on the car most of today :thumbup: Here's what we got done...

first we got the rear down bar cut and tacked into place from the top of the roll cage to the rear bumper area

phonephotos514.jpg

then we mocked up where the fuel cell will be mounted...

phonephotos515.jpg

phonephotos516.jpg

Finished up the drivers door bar area and floor mount, drop pieces :thumbup:

phonephotos518.jpg

a pic from the other side (racing seat still needs a cradle installed, but we can't do it till the cage is finish welded)

phonephotos517.jpg

All loaded up on the trailer and on it's way to my other friends shop, with the better welder, for "finish" welding :w00t:

phonephotos519.jpg

It won't be long now and I'll be sorting out the brakes and mechanical stuff B)

Ok, it's official... This Datsun thing has become a full blown sickness for me... I just bought this to hold all my Dattos and to use as my personal race car shop :thumbup:

phonephotos2001.jpg

phonephotos2002.jpg

phonephotos2003.jpg

It's 40 feet deep and 25 feet wide and has it's own electric meter and fuse box :thumbup:

I get to take possesion on January 1st, what a way to start the new year :w00t:

• Like 1