Dirt track 510 Race car (Lets go fast and turn left)

Should I bring this to the JCCS 2012 or not?  

1. 1. Should I bring this car to the JCCS, yes or no?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL they gonna let you run those?

Yep... Side draft SU carbs were available on the SSS models, so it's legal to run em'. I can run anything that was available on my car from the factory. Guess my car is now an SSS. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sometimes you just gotta skirt the rules a little... Trust me, I'll be keeping a copy of the information from the internet on what was available on SSS models, so I can show the SU carbs were "factory".

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shopping for air filters and I wanna make sure what I buy will fit. I'm gonna run dual SU carbs, but about all I'm finding is the K&N air filters that are about 4" tall. I don't mind the tall filters, but I'm wondering if they'll fit with my stock master cylinders still in place. :unsure: I'd really like to have a single oval shaped air filter housing for the two carbs, something that's only about 1 1/2" or 2" tall, so I know it'll fit. I'm gonna be running the 240Z carbs though. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not much to report here, but I figured I'd update a little...

First things first, I am still planning to build the car in the begining of this page, but for now I'm planning to concentrate on this car, it's a 1972 2dr and it's still going to be a dirt track race car, so I figured there was no need for another page. I'm going to pick this car up in the next week or so, but since it's not as nice a car as the original 2dr, I'm not going to be as worried about it getting raced and or "dinged" up on the track. Anyway, here's a pic of this project car...

2door2.jpg

Here's a pic of the wheels I'm planning to run on it, since we're not suppose to use "racing" wheels, I just bought these...

WesternMagWheels.jpg

Also, I hate to say it, but I just don't think my 620 pick up truck is up to the task of towing a car all the way to the J.C.C.S. quite yet, so it looks like the race car won't be making the trip this year, although I will be driving the "Project Parts Car Resurection" car to the show again this year.

I will be buying a tubing bender in the near future, so this project should move fairly fast once I get it home and do the "must do" rust repairs.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the photo's from this weekend...

2doorracecar1stpics002.jpg

2doorracecar1stpics004.jpg

2doorracecar1stpics003.jpg

2doorracecar1stpics005.jpg

2doorracecar1stpics006.jpg

2doorracecar1stpics007.jpg

safe and sound in it's new home. :thumbup:

2doorracecar1stpics022.jpg

2doorracecar1stpics020.jpg

The beautiful "dash" :rofl:

2doorracecar1stpics011.jpg

engine compartment :sick:

2doorracecar1stpics010.jpg

More to come...

• 1 month later...

Well, I know this project is moving slow, but it's a BIG project. Anyway, I got out there in the garage today on a nice cool day (101 degrees) and did the logical thing. I picked a nice, cool, comfortable job to do on a blistering hot day.... I spent 6 hours cutting out what was left of the drivers side front floor board, then I fabbed up a new section to install and spent the remainder of the day fitting and welding it in. I'm pretty happy with the results. Try not to bust my chops to bad, this is the first time I've welded up a floor pan and it is for a dirt track car, so I wasn't going for perfection, just a solid floor.

2doorfloorboard002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot to report, but I did get out there tonight and start removing the glass, windshield was a bitch. I'm glad it was already cracked to shiz, as I trashed it trying to get it out.

2drracecarproject.jpg

At least there's a new photo for the page :P

Thanks, it would appear our projects are headed in exactly the opposite direction. When mine is done, it'll never make it back on the street "legally" again and your taking a full on race car to put it back on the street.

This car was really wasted though, so it's a good one to do this to. I only build cars that would of been parts cars and make em' race cars.

• Like 1

Thanks, it would appear our projects are headed in exactly the opposite direction. When mine is done, it'll never make it back on the street "legally" again and your taking a full on race car to put it back on the street.

This car was really wasted though, so it's a good one to do this to. I only build cars that would of been parts cars and make em' race cars.

ahaha yes but they are so rare around here ... I took the only one I found ,,,

wheels look nice btw :)

I got the dash out tonight without any problems. :thumbup: This is the first time I've removed one of these dash's and not had one screw or bolt strip out, break, or be rusted in so badly that I had to chisel it off. :thumbup:

dashphotos003.jpg

dashphotos002.jpg

dashphotos001.jpg