How to buy a Datsun?

Is there class on how to buy a Datsun?

I have contacted several folks who claim to have 510s for sale. Some here on Ratsun, some on Craigs list, even knocked on door of folks with em rotting in the yard. I have offered asking price only to be told they wanted more now. I have been snubbed by others that won't even reply to my inquires about the cars they have for sale. I give em all the benefit of the doubt though. I know nobody really wants to sell thier baby. I just wanna get my own story started but it is a rocky start. Any tips?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they jack up the price when you get there, they're assholes. Don't buy from them. Lots of people own Datsuns and some are stupid and greedy enough to think their rusty shit pile of a Datsun is work gold because, "it's a classic". Wait until you find the right deal, Datsuns tend to find you. How much have you been offering for these 510s?

• Like 1

And don't give up. It took me four years to find mine, and I have not regretted it.

Agreed. I slobbered all over a few before I finally found my truck. Always a day late or dollar short. Until... Tax return day!!!! And the guy even drove it to me in P-town from Mcminville :D That 620's goin with me to the grave.

Be persistent until they sell or tell you to get lost.

If they jack the price on you just laugh and give them your phone number and tell them to call when serious. Call back in a couple of weeks for one last try when they've given up and are desperate.

If they seem agreeable, talk them up.They may have to sell and don't like the idea. Talk to them about your Datsuns and how you look after them, what ones you've had over the years, and how much you've always wanted one like the one for sale. If they know you will love and look after their 'baby' it will take some of the sting out of selling it. DO NOT tell them you are going to rip the motor out, slam it and go drifting... DUH!

Know what you want and know more about the car than the seller. Know the questions to ask and what to look for. This way you will know a good deal when you come across it and a bad one you can run from.

Any car that cannot start or be driven is automatically a shell or potential parts car. True, it might only need a carb, starter, water pump or coil to put it on the road, but if you can't start and drive it you have no idea if there are other things wrong with it like: no brakes, noisy differential, bad U joints/vibration, broken tranny (missing gears, noise, jumps out of gear) slipping clutch, bad starter, overheats (blown head gasket/leaking rad/bad water pump) won't restart when warm, bad carb, worn steering/suspension components. You totally have to trust the seller. Getting all excited over the cheap price for a 510 that 'only needs a water pump' and ignoring all the things above is a recipe for disappointment. If this is all it needs why doesn't the seller fix it and charge more?

Get a running 510 that is as complete and as finished as you can afford. This is always cheaper in the long run. Projects are money and time pits. Let someone else enjoy doing the work.

Get to know your local UPS , Fed ex guy ..Maybe offer him finders fee give him a picture of what your looking for ....They unlike you get behind the fence and they have a reason to be there...Have them ask..It`s worked for me three different times , including the car i drive right now..And i should add , they can check if owner is safe to approach .

Although my Fedex guy has been a close friend since 1987.:)

That reminds me, I guy I know has a 4 door for sale. It's caged, race car, currently needs to be put back together, wants $1200 for it. Won't take trades though, was trying to trade him my 510 for it since I'm going to redo the entire engine and drivetrain anyway. Cage is probably a Joe cage, which means well done.

My 510 search was over in 2 days.

Got paid some money for residing a house. Next day did a craigslist search, emailed a guy. The day after I was at his house giving him money. I drove the car home. So far it has been an excellent car, just a lot of paint chips and a dent in the rear.

Get to know your local UPS , Fed ex guy ..Maybe offer him finders fee give him a picture of what your looking for ....They unlike you get behind the fence and they have a reason to be there...Have them ask..It`s worked for me three different times , including the car i drive right now..And i should add , they can check if owner is safe to approach .

They have a reason but technically are trespassing. There is another person that IS allowed to trespass. A land surveyor. In Canada it's a federal offense to refuse access to a property to a surveyor or interfear with their work. I see a lot of shit in backyards. Have gone back after hours and made killer deals. Sometimes right on the spot. I got two 1/4 worn 235 75R14 Yokohama Super Digger 5s for asking! Got an '84 Olds part car for my son just for asking. See lots of cars. Not too many Datsuns

Lots of good advice from everyone. I do have a limited budget but make sure not to go after cars price outside of it.

One of the issues I have is I have never owned a Datsun. I have been lurking these boards for some time reading and trying to gather as much info as possible. I picked up a service manual and have been looking thru that as well. I'm mechanical but I'm a newbie when it comes to Datsuns. My uncle had one when I was a kid and I have wanted one ever since. I will find it or as you guys say it will find me.

If you know any cops, that's a good place make friends too. I told a buddy to go down to a precinct and find an officer who was just hanging outside somewhere and tell them "Hey, I'm so-and-so, I'm looking for an XYZ car and offering $100 finder's fee to anyone who tracks me down a keeper." A week later he got a phone call from a guy who told him "an off duty cop gave me your number. Want to come take a look?"

The owner was an older dude who didn't even own a computer. Just put a little for sale sign on the car figuring it could just sit there until someone happened by it. Well, cops know a lot of people and cruise a lot of locations. Good resource if they're not all suspicious.

You can also do a similar thing on Craigslist.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...