welders flash/flashburn

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had it twice both times were from someone else welding near me and ought flash from an angle both times were when I worked at a weld shop Once outside on a roof and once in the shop lasted about a day

hurts like a mfer

when I woke up in the night it was foggy in my house I knew something was wrong but didnt know what

hopefully all is better now and no permanent damage

I have had it twice both times were from someone else welding near me and ought flash from an angle both times were when I worked at a weld shop Once outside on a roof and once in the shop lasted about a day

hurts like a mfer

when I woke up in the night it was foggy in my house I knew something was wrong but didnt know what

hopefully all is better now and no permanent damage

Yup ^^^ that really sucks !!! Good your better man

Mine is well .... Really foggy .... Lol ...

Same a sunburn which is basically what it is just on the extremely sensitive outer layer of the eye surface. The eyelid will feel like a garage door opening and slamming closed. Few days and you should be well on the way to healing. Keep covered so you don't continue to try and 'look' at things. By all means have a doctor look at it.

There is the risk of rusty metal or dirt having got in there too and that won't heal and go away.

Same a sunburn which is basically what it is just on the extremely sensitive outer layer of the eye surface. The eyelid will feel like a garage door opening and slamming closed. Few days and you should be well on the way to healing. Keep covered so you don't continue to try and 'look' at things. By all means have a doctor look at it.

There is the risk of rusty metal or dirt having got in there too and that won't heal and go away.

I appreciate the advice and info ! I indeed take it seriously !

My eye issues always occur before the welding starts, when preparing the metal for welding, them cutting discs throw metal everywhere, I wear reading glasses so I can see what I am doing, but I always get it anyway, I get a piece of metal from the cutting disc itself, or from what I am cutting in my right eye, I don't always know it till it starts to rust in my eye, and as luck would have it, it always happens late enough friday or saterday, so I wait till monday before going to the doctor. The doctor has mentioned to me that he has an emergancy number, we seem to be getting to know each other, which I think is a bad sign. There are differant levels of pain I guess, as I have not gotten to the emergancy level to date.

Oh yeah it wouldn't be welding without slag burning you or your hair ... <_< ... All about trade offs I guess :unsure:

Your probably more careful than I ... I learned to weld on my own ... The hard way ... That's where I got flashburn the first time Der Der Derrrrrrrr ... I think the arc welding did most damage ... I was welding up to quarter inch plating with thicker rod ... Idk not an expert ...

If it happens to u ... Just remember ... Don't

touch eyes ... Put anti biotic in them if u can ... Put medical gauze and eyepatch or equivalent and avoid the light ... Hurts pretty good if u try to open up ... Red eye tear drops help soothe mine ...

First time It happened to me I was an idiot and didn't know better... A kid ... This time it shouldn't have happened ... 11 years of welding as hobby and at my place of employment years ago ... Still ocassionally if we are shorthanded as well ...

i always wear my mask, safety first!

gloves too, i'm only mig welding right now, just until i get the movement down. i think the thickest steel iIve welded was like 7-8 gauge.

i wanna tig and arc weld soon though.

My eye issues always occur before the welding starts, when preparing the metal for welding, them cutting discs throw metal everywhere, I wear reading glasses so I can see what I am doing, but I always get it anyway, I get a piece of metal from the cutting disc itself, or from what I am cutting in my right eye, I don't always know it till it starts to rust in my eye, and as luck would have it, it always happens late enough friday or saterday, so I wait till monday before going to the doctor. The doctor has mentioned to me that he has an emergancy number, we seem to be getting to know each other, which I think is a bad sign. There are differant levels of pain I guess, as I have not gotten to the emergancy level to date.

Oh man !!! Hate that ... I can understand that having to see though ...

I like to use more expensive safety googles that are comfy for metal work on my stuff ... Hmmm can't think of the brand atm ... But this would prove problematic since u need reading glasses hhhmmm ... Good on the no emergency status man !!

i always wear my mask, safety first!

gloves too, i'm only mig welding right now, just until i get the movement down. i think the thickest steel iIve welded was like 7-8 gauge.

i wanna tig and arc weld soon though.

Good !!! The minimum :)

Honestly I still don't have my movement down .. once I get it ... I start on a different thickness joint or angle . Vertical , horizontal , blah blah ... Never had one break though lol

Got would be killer !!! I never have TIG welded ... Esp want to try someday !!!

Start arc soon man ... It's a natural progression ... Hardest part to me was starting each weld without sticking ...

Arc welding is fun :D

Did some welding classes at merts campus in astoria oregon. Started on oxy, once i passed that i went to stick. Got half way thru that and ran out of money

Oh I agree arc welding is fun man :D

I turn the power up on the sucker and cut through truck frames with it or cut metal period ... Hahaha :lol: ;) ... Haters gunman hate :D ...

Good !!! The minimum :)

Honestly I still don't have my movement down .. once I get it ... I start on a different thickness joint or angle . Vertical , horizontal , blah blah ... Never had one break though lol

Got would be killer !!! I never have TIG welded ... Esp want to try someday !!!

Start arc soon man ... It's a natural progression ... Hardest part to me was starting each weld without sticking ...

ollz... half moons, cursive I's ,

What really helped was just drawing a bunch of half moons or Cs with a pen as if holding a gun. gets your hand really used to it

ollz... half moons, cursive I's ,

What really helped was just drawing a bunch of half moons or Cs with a pen as if holding a gun. gets your hand really used to it

Yup !!! I do that ... But mine still look like shit on arc welder hahaha true story. Bro :lol:

Your def right to get that shit down :cool:

Ive been a welder for about 13 years been flash burned a few times and had many steel particals scraped out of my eyes. you can never be to careful protecting your eyes in this industry. A oldtimer one time, told me next time ya flash burn yourself get a eye dropper and mix up some cold canned milk. couple drops in the eyes and your good for a while. HOLY HELL does it burn, but it does work pretty well too! i must admit sounds weird i know. I guess it creates a film over the eye surface protecting it from rubbing your eye lids

Oh man !!! Hate that ... I can understand that having to see though ...

I like to use more expensive safety googles that are comfy for metal work on my stuff ... Hmmm can't think of the brand atm ... But this would prove problematic since u need reading glasses hhhmmm ... Good on the no emergency status man !!

I have started wearing these safty goggles over the reading glasses lately, as the last time I was at the eye doctors, he decided to tell me how many scars I had on that right eye, and how amazed he was that none of them were on the actual lense that I see threw. I always almost laugh everytime the doctor says that hole I just made cutting that piece of metal out of there will fill in, it will FILL in. I have a hole in my leg where a rototiller decided to have lunch on my leg, the doctor said that one would fill in also, not a chance, it was the size of a kennedy 50 cent piece, and 2 inches deep. You could see my main artery in the bottom of that hole, he said if it had been cut, I would not have made it.

Ive been a welder for about 13 years been flash burned a few times and had many steel particals scraped out of my eyes. you can never be to careful protecting your eyes in this industry. A oldtimer one time, told me next time ya flash burn yourself get a eye dropper and mix up some cold canned milk. couple drops in the eyes and your good for a while. HOLY HELL does it burn, but it does work pretty well too! i must admit sounds weird i know. I guess it creates a film over the eye surface protecting it from rubbing your eye lids

Greatly appreciate the tips man and ouch !!! I will def try that next time !!!

Shoot yourself in the foot, you wont even think about your eye :lol:

True story. Was at my buddies house. One of his friends came over, limping. I asked him what had happened... He said he was having a party at his house. And he was showing people his gun. He thought it was unloaded, and was wrong. Shot himself in the foot. Now mind you, if thats not bad enough. He got sentenced to 10 days in the local clink for "Firing a gun in city limits" and some other shit :rofl: