Rustina510 wagoon

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah so far so good. I Buried the speedo last weekend on my first freeway drive Sunday, I've never had a l20 make it to 120 mph b4.

But it's chugging after I turn it off, so I guess it needs a timing set.

We also replaced the plugs and wires and points,

Everytime something breaks or gives me a problem, I've been not just repairing it but upgrading and improving components so it has been getting steadily better for a year straight.

After timing is set it's back to the ka26e-r legendary build

• 4 weeks later...

Got my experimental engineering tranny xmember for the 620 five speed swap, I'm told this will also work for my ka26e-r build also.

Super fast shipping and only 75$. Thx guys

932F3724-4458-4AD6-AB6E-8B1EAB2251F0-859

After this 5speed swap is finished it's ka26e-r time I'm tired of l motors, they are cool and all but it's time to move into a more modern power plant

• 7 years later...

So this is what happened with my old Datsun 510 wagon since I sold it back in 2010. I remember around 2008 I had to get a rebuilt distributor from Shuck's (now known as O'Reilly Auto Parts). I put that on my self since it was fairly simple and I had a friend help with timing it.

I can remember many of the things/parts I bought for it over the many years I owned it:

(5) alternators

(4) starters

(7) batteries

(1) Heathkit capacitive discharge ignition module (built it myself). It lasted a long time until moisture eventually corroded the circuit board.

Had the clutch rebuilt 3 times.

I don't remember how many brake jobs, but I think at least 5.

When I bought the car there was no radio in it (had the blank radio plate installed). The original owner was a deputy sheriff from Idaho and had installed an old crystal 4 channel police scanner on top of the dash (that's why it sags and was split open). I wanted some sort of radio in it and at the time I was never able to locate an original Datsun radio. I found out the 12 volt Volkswagen "Sapphire XIX" model fit perfectly, but it required an external speaker (mono). I bought a Radio Shack under dash police scanner/cb radio external speaker and mounted it on the right kick panel. Eventually, toward the last couple of years I owned the car, thetuning mechanism in the Sapphire XIX literally wore out and wouldn't move the dial any more. So I pulled the radio and speaker out. I still have it in a junk box here at home.

I bought a 12 volt fluorescent light to replace the original tailgate light fixture (the one that comes on when you lift the tailgate open). Over the years I probably replaced the fluorescent tube in it 5 times because I used the tailgate a lot.

At one time I bought one of those "apply-it-yourself" rear window defogger foils. I ran a wire to it from a toggle switch I had mounted on a bracket I made under the dash. Eventually, the sun got to the foil and sections of it stopped working. I believe I ended up scrapping the foil off with a razor blade and getting rid of all the foil. I had dreams of buying a JC Whitney universal rear window wiper unit and installing it, but money was tight in those days and I never followed through with that idea.

What does my old car look like today? Especially interested in the interior and dash. If I would have had the money to fix up this Datsun and I still owned it, I would have installed a fancy car stereo system in it and had a backup camera installed.