SUs or Webbers for 2.2

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as SU's go, the 38mm(SSS) ones will give you better low end torque. They go flat around 5k, however. The 46mm(Z) ones do better in the higher RPM's. Weber 45's will do better also in the higher RPM range.

I guess it all depends on what it's being used for. I have 38's on my LZ22 in my 4x4, and it turns the 31's with no problems. She'll even bark 2nd pretty good on the dry ;)

Dont waste your time with SUs on a performance built engine, I have seen the results of the same engine dynoed with a 32/36 weber and SUs then with Mikuni 44s the difference between the 32/36 Weber (107whp)and the SUs (120whp)was only like 12hp the Mikunis made quite a bit more at 141whp or something close to that...Just some of the stuff I have seen down at Troy Ermishes shop over the years,

My girlfriends 510 with a 2.2 made 155whp and 151wtq and I have the Dyno sheet to prove it and I have had no issues with driving it all over the place other than gas milage because I cant seem to drive it like a normal person and until I built the heat shield for the carbs it didnt like driving in the heat but now its a bit more drivable in the summer. Depending on what your dad is looking for a 38/38 weber would work well with that combo I know it worked very well on a L20b with a big cam and port work as well as higher compression

Clayton

I have the SU type system, I need torque, as I use the truck for hauling a lot of weight, plus a trailer. It will also haul ass empty, I broke the speedo needle off on the hiway during the break-in on the LZ23 engine, as stated in a post above, it falls flat on its face at 4500 to 5000rpms, I am running a stock cam, as I need torque.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to here a pro/con summary of either, as i have su's set aside for my 710.

People always seam to have an opinion on the su's, but its usaly "there the best things since tits" nothing to back it up, or where they could use improvment.

Then there are the guys who say "su's noooooooooooo" and besides saying they are hard to tune(wich is an experiance/skill based opinion) they havnt ben able say where they need improvment.

As for the webbers, I wish I could get ahold of some, never heard anything bad about them besides the pricetag

I had a set of su's on a L18. way more power than my 32/36 but they were old and I couldn't get then tuned right. way too rich and wouldn't idle at all, had to pump the gas at stop lights. They ran hard at high rpm but I would never buy another set cause they are just all old and wore out, unless you buy a set of expensive ones from z therapy. I just rebuilt my twin Weber dcoe 40s and they seam real simple, I have not run them tho so I can't speak from experience on performance yet...

On Z-car ,,,

I ran Dual 46mm SU's ,,, very neat reliable carb ,,, BUT ,,, many people forget the damn things are worn out and we keep tossing them around person to person many times ,,, some are not worn out and work just fine ,,, The throttle bushings were worn out on my good set (which I still have) ,,, sure got good enough mileage and good top end/city driving ,,, These are hard to tune when they are worn out needles/out of adjustment floats/worn piston domes/pistons/etc ,,, QUALITY parts are getting expensive/harder to find (for me at least),,, neat thing about these is no accelerator pump !(none to fail) instead needle pulls down to reveal an open up jet with a pre-determined amount of fuel that is metered/pooled/measured to let the engine suck it up ,,, easy peezy ! ,,, very simple to clean ,,,

Dual Webber 32/36's ,,, Good Performance ,,, Good Mileage,,, Easy to Tune ,,, much much aftermarket/factory support/parts available ,,, Many people think Downdraft is a dis-advantage ( I personally don't know enough ),,, I personally like them ! ,,,

Tripple Webber 40DCOE's (same idea) ,,,, side draft carb ,,, higher quality carb IMHO ,,, The ones I have dealt with had ROLLER BEARING THROTTLE Shafts ,,, BIG plus on my book ,,, easy to access/clean and change Jets !!! ,,, very simple to clean ,,,, I am not sure about COLD starts as choke wasn't hooked up so no personal way to verify ,,, Higher Performance Setup Stuff between the three IMHO :)

Holley 4bbl 390cfm ---> I run this naow on my zcar,,, easier to watch 1 carb over 2 or 3 of them ,,, :lol: ,,, works well ,,, not the best mileage (pretty close mpg's to others mentioned above) , but I only have to tune when I wish to , set and go

If it were me ,,, I would be HARD pressed to not run the Weber45DCOE (I think?) ,,, why you say ? ,,, he will probably WISH(will have to) to re-jet his engine according to his cam/port specifications and other modifications as well as RPM operating range ,,, I could be wrong , but I would think it would be easier to run the 45DCOE over the SU's with a little more comfort knowing he can get what he needs just about anywhere :) ,,, I PERSONALLY do not know the in's and outs of availability and options of Re-Tuning/Re-Jetting SU's (which is worthless if the body's/shafts are worn in the first place) ,,, I am sure if they are in good condition it is a viable option for sure ! but , I am not one to think SU's are the best option period even though I like them :) ,,, if he is daily driving/scooting along ,,, SU's are hard to beat !

Different strokes for different folks ,,, I am not experienced enough with Carbs/Cam's period though !!! when you think you know , you learn theres quite a bit more you don't know :blink: :lol: ,,,, I may not be correct , but this is my opinion and contribution ,,,, that's how I really feel (hrh) ;) :lol: