4.3 Chevy swap

Slixon

I got the motor in a deal and I think that with a little builing it I can push about 300HP. It's smaller and less played out than the 350 swaps and I think I can get my beast to really move. My only concern other than permanatly changing my truck is the fear of getting a bunch of criticism for putting an american motor in my datsun. So give me some advise on this. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it just figured i'd ask for opinions.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the 4.3 !

Do what you want ! It's your Truck/Car !!! Worrying about what others think isn't gonna get you where you want to go ,,, ever

Just make sure you have the skills/fab/storage to work on the sucker so you can get it done for you !

I mean honestly ,,, Who gives a shit what other people think ,,, :D

but that's just my opinion ,,, :lol:

To give you an idea ,,, I have a chevy 350 + 4spd Saginaw ,,, about 60-70% swap is done sitting in my project Zcar right now :lol: :lol: ( you will see talk good and bad ,,, who cares !!! )

There is also the KA Swaps/other swaps ,,, that could remedy this if your that worried about it ;) :D

• Like 2

Well yeah I really don't give a shit about what other people say, and if I start it I'm going to finish it for sure. It's my daily driver and I looked into it so I wouldn't be in over my head. The 4.3 is a bad ass motor and it's smaller than a 350. So i won't have too much of a headache.

i honestly dont like cross-breeding at all but at least you arent doing the normal v8 swap. if it was me and i was wanting a v6 i would go with at least a vg30, or vg33 if you want more displacement.

I agree to a point, a carbed 4.3 is going to be easier to get in there, the upgrade parts are cheap, and a 4.3 was in nearly every drive way at one point or another theres a zillion of em.

That being said buick 3.8 ltr for the win, its got the same hp at the f ywheel as an multi port fuel injected 4.3 but has lighter components and revs higher and i wish i had one, oh and the super charger is way smaller profile for when you find out you need more horse power.

• Like 1

I agree to a point, a carbed 4.3 is going to be easier to get in there, the upgrade parts are cheap, and a 4.3 was in nearly every drive way at one point or another theres a zillion of em.

That being said buick 3.8 ltr for the win, its got the same hp at the f ywheel as an multi port fuel injected 4.3 but has lighter components and revs higher and i wish i had one, oh and the super charger is way smaller profile for when you find out you need more horse power.

true. the 3.8 is a very good motor imo and i'm not even a chevy fan. even big cars like the early 2000's impalas would get up and go quite well. i was impressed with them thoroughly.

I would like to ask if you (op) where thinking of going auto or manual trans? But i guess you wana know if youd be shuned for your (insert crazy motor here) swap.

I dont think so, maybe . More likey if you do a hack job, just make it so "right" that even if no one on earth likes the choice they cant get unto the craftsmen ship

if you like it then fawk it , for real YO!

2011-09-14185720.jpg

Well I'm thinking of linking the rear end and coil overs all around. Personally I'm tired of seeing 350 swaps all over. I just wanna do this clean, keep the FI port and polish the heads with exhaust. I think it'll scoot.

it should. 4.3's generally have pretty good torque. go to the junkyard and get you some vortec heads on it if they arent already. big improvement. then you only have to lightly port those to get noticeable gains from the already good flow.

As someone who has done a GM (gasp!) swap into a Datsun I can tell you that you will have some naysayers. For the most part people will be polite and keep their opinions to themselves. If you hack it in expect criticism -- for the hackery not the engine choice. I got a lot of positive comments too --- but I actually finished mine. That being said, I tend to agree with RedBanner. I feel the 3800 is a better choice. First of all, it's a more compact package and weighs about 40# less. It's a much newer design (better engineered) than the 4.3 is too. They run smoother and have very similar power potential. A RWD version Series II from a Camaro/Firebird retrofitted with the Eaton supercharger would be good for 240-250hp in bone stock trim. The most a 4.3 produced, in Vortec form, was 200hp. Most were actually in the 150 range. I think 300hp out of a 4.3 is pretty optimistic. If you had a Typhoon/Syclone version we'd be having a very different conversation :cool: . The 3800 will also return 30mpg in many cases. I've never seen a 4.3 do that. Either choice will have packaging issues. Steering and exhaust mainly. Substituting coilovers for your torsion bars will help.

I understand that you already have the 4.3 so that's probably a real driving factor. I'm certainly not saying "don't do it". Just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. And please just finish what you start. Keep us posted.

Ive seen dyno slips on huffed 4.3's , one that was a extensive build, 280 sumthing.

but you can get pretty reliable power out of it and i say if your ready to fab some mounts and get a radiator and go go go.

Good luck man start a build thread and pack it seam to seam with pics.

Guest kamakazi620

As someone who has done a GM (gasp!) swap into a Datsun I can tell you that you will have some naysayers. For the most part people will be polite and keep their opinions to themselves. If you hack it in expect criticism -- for the hackery not the engine choice. I got a lot of positive comments too --- but I actually finished mine. That being said, I tend to agree with RedBanner. I feel the 3800 is a better choice. First of all, it's a more compact package and weighs about 40# less. It's a much newer design (better engineered) than the 4.3 is too. They run smoother and have very similar power potential. A RWD version Series II from a Camaro/Firebird retrofitted with the Eaton supercharger would be good for 240-250hp in bone stock trim. The most a 4.3 produced, in Vortec form, was 200hp. Most were actually in the 150 range. I think 300hp out of a 4.3 is pretty optimistic. If you had a Typhoon/Syclone version we'd be having a very different conversation :cool: . The 3800 will also return 30mpg in many cases. I've never seen a 4.3 do that. Either choice will have packaging issues. Steering and exhaust mainly. Substituting coilovers for your torsion bars will help.

I understand that you already have the 4.3 so that's probably a real driving factor. I'm certainly not saying "don't do it". Just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. And please just finish what you start. Keep us posted.

300hp out of 4.3 is MILD YO!!!!!!! check it YO!!!! Here HOW TO make 500hp N/A http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0705_pitstop_chevrolet_v6_performance/

Heres HOW TO make 300hp

http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0705_pitstop_chevrolet_v6_performance/

EAT IT chevy HATERS!!!!!!!!BTW my moms old 4.3 vortec astro go 20+mpg

Well seeing as how I've only driven Datsuns for the last 5 years and this is the only one down here..I have to finish it. I'm buying the fuel cell today. Still gotta pull the motor, hopefully this weekend. Strip it down and go thru it, take the heads to the machine shop. I'm gonna get everything ready before I even pull my motor.

I have a '76 620 with a 4.3 350 trans and a 9" rear end w/4.11's. It's an early, '87 block non balance shaft. I have not had ANYONE say anything about a chevy in a datsun,except "how cool." Most people think it is a v8 untill I have to open the hood and prove it to them. It was not a difficult installation. There is a web site where you will be able to buy all the mounts and headers for the installation http://www.powerbyace.com/, they might still be fabing some parts just e-mail them. You will have to notch the firewall a bit for the dist. I think you can use the stock rear end,it will take quite a bit of power,but dont know for sure. It is a stock short block,flat top pistons,stock rods,stock cast crank. The heads are aluminum chevy performance,and the manifold is a cheyv performance dual plane 650 d/p carb. It has run 7.37 @ 90.78 in the 1/8 mile,with 1.53 60 ft times. I have a few pics. Will up load more later.

IMG_8802Medium.jpg

IMG_8798Medium.jpg

IMG_8800Medium.jpg

IMG_8825Medium.jpg

IMG_8824Medium.jpg

burnout.jpg

me6-16-11.jpg

• Like 1