Project: GET

I don't know what I'll put it in, but I'd like to put it in the 620... Project Ghetto EFI is now known as Project: GET... An LZ22gET (The G still stands for ghetto), lol...

So with the recent happenings of the L20b in the 620, I'm building something else. I did a little research, and measuring and it looks like a guy could use the turbo manifold off of an LD20T or LD20IIT with little to no modification... I figured if I could just get a stock manifold and save myself from having to make my own, I would be money, time, and frustration ahead on the deal... SO I picked up this turbo & manifold from an LD20IIT.

turbomanifold2.jpg

turbomanifold.jpg

I had the guy take a bunch of measurements, and the mounting looks to be the same, as well as the ports... Hopefully I should have it in my hands next week, so I can bolt in on something. Once I have this I'll restart on the intake manifold project... Obviously I shouldn't run ghetto EFI with a turbo, so I think I may end up running a megasquirt...

I've got some more info, and theories, but I'm at work, so I'll get back on here after I get home tonight...

:D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The LD20, and LD20II(T) was an overseas engine, I know they were used in Aussie land, and Japan. They run on Diesel... The LD28 (like thats in my maxima), is basically an L28 that runs on diesel... The LD20 is basically an L20b that runs on diesel... For the LD20II they redesigned some things, but the major change was that it runs a timing BELT, rather than a chain like the other L series engines. Cheaper for the manufacturer to convert a petrol engine they already make to run on diesel.

Like anything else, some LD20/20II/20IIT engines got imported here, and around the world. Here are some pics of an LD20:

http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/Nissan/LD20/389.jpg

http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/Nissan/LD20/389_2.jpg

Have you test fitted an intake? Don't forget the diesel would not need a carb, but you will. I could be wrong but it doesn't look like there's proper room for an L20B intake. Can you get the diesel intake?

It looks like the flange part of the intake will fit fine, but if I were using a regular carb intake it looks like the outer part would hit the manifold... I don't have the turbo manifold in my hands yet, it ships tomorrow, but when it does show up, I'll check stuff throughly. I'll be making a custom intake, so I can make it fit.

If I were to use a diesel intake, it would have to be the one for the LD20. I'll see if the guy has an LD20 manifold, but the stuff I bought is from an LD20II, and that intake wouldn't even be useful on a gas engine because of the way it's set up.

Well it came today! I came home and fedex had dropped it off at the back door, so I dug out an old gastet and laid it on there to see if my crazy plan would work out or not.

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

Looks like it will be a bolt on ordeal! Will it clear the stearing in the 620? As of yet I don't know, it looks like it will be cutting it close though. Tomorrow if I don't have to work late or have anything else going on, I will unbolt the intake and exhaust off the 620, and see if this clears the stearing shaft. The flange on the intake fits inside the flange of the turbo manifold, so that's a plus, but I will either have to track down an LD20 manifold, or make something custom. Currently I'm leaning toward the custom route.

Have you test fitted an intake? Don't forget the diesel would not need a carb, but you will. I could be wrong but it doesn't look like there's proper room for an L20B intake. Can you get the diesel intake?

Withe gasket on there, It sure looks like a duel carb intake would fit just right.:cool:

• 3 months later...
Any update on this project?

He still has the turbo but not much has really happened as of yet. I might actually ask to take a look at this set up when I see him tomorrow. If he doesn't see this I'll ask him to post an update.

Interesting project. Wish more people who've done clean L-turbo installs would do write ups for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

He still has the turbo but not much has really happened as of yet. I might actually ask to take a look at this set up when I see him tomorrow. If he doesn't see this I'll ask him to post an update.

Interesting project. Wish more people who've done clean L-turbo installs would do write ups for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

I just need someone to make me an affordable exhaust manifold that will work with my setup which hasn't been used for 18yrs. Started out with the Crown, but the exhaust manifold that came with the kit was terrible and prone to cracking due to the thin gauge of steel. Not to mention that I went through a buttload of gaskets since the turbo would shift quite a bit from the heat generated.

I had someone fabricate me another setup, after ditching the crown mani, which consisted of a "J" pipe that wrapped underneath the front cross member (totally ghetto, but very effective). It would have been fine, but he hooked up the wastegate improperly (so it didn't work, at all) and it ended up pushing 19lbs of boost through an L20B with Z20e pistons. Extremely fun, but not conducive to long life of a block. I still have the original Rajay, with 5k miles on it, running up to a Volvo 44mm SU. I'm about ready to re-assemble this motor and hopefully will have it done in time for Blue Lake. Old school draw-through, ahhhh. I wish I had the funds to do it right....:o

cough Fineline cough :D

I guess i'll have to post up some more pics of my build in my project thread. I had a lot on the NWDE site but not too much here pre-install.

what is nwde?

That would be:

Northwest

West

Datsun

Enthusiasts

And as the name would suggest, they're Datsun Enthusiasts. From the Pacific North West.

I have a guy in the PI right now that is looking for me for those manifolds right now and with the pesos to dollar conversion man I can get probably a pallet full of them if not a couple of complete motors, I'm really going to try and push these thru as thisi diesel thing has been in my mind for quite sometime also, I'll update in a few weeks when my friend magicjacks' me from the PI

conrad"your junk is my treasure"abastillas:)

I replied to this already, but it seems to have not gone through for one reason or another... Anyway, I decided not to put this on my 4x4, I figure it is better suited for a 2wd apparatus. I won't be selling it, but saving it for something 2wd. I'm supposed to be looking at another 620 K/C here soon, and it might end up on that with any luck!

Best advice I can give it to watch ebay, or yahoo.jp auctions for one. I managed to pick this one up for $125 shipped, with turbo. They seem to be few and far between, like an L series EFI manifold, but they are out there... This manifold I have is from an LD20-II-T (basically the same as an LD20T but the LD20II cam is belt driven instead of chain, and a few other external differences).