Magically disapearing coolant!

Ira210

:( As the title suggests I have coolant going somewhere to the tune of about 3/4 of a gallon every couple of days. I've checked the oil dipstick and see no signs of coolant in the oil no pools of coolant under my car and I'm not blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. I replaced the radiator and cap recently. Anybody experience this before? Wtf :angry:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3/4 gallon over a couple days could be going out the tailpipe without being noticeable. White smoke usually means it would go through all the coolant in under 30 minutes.

Ahhh! I have noticed water out the tailpipe but kinda thought would happen to any car in a cold start condition. Haven't noticed when car gets hot. What would that mean? Blown head? Leaky head gasket? :mellow:

I have a 620, so my set up is probably different. I did notice it a little wet under the radiator where the overflow tube is but I dont thing it all went there, I did just fill it up before I drove home, so I epected some to come out there. and the little bit that is by the water outlet doesnt seem to be buch, even if I play with the Throttle cable and rev it up it doesnt spray by any means. and I filled it again when I got home last night and checked it in the morning and it was still full so i dont think its a leak thats too big.

I ordered the parts to replace a lot of it, so we will see if that fixes my problem, if I find anything in my adventures i will post it here to see if it helps Ira210 or anyone else who may have this issue. I certainly hope its not leaking internally!!!

I have a 620, so my set up is probably different. I did notice it a little wet under the radiator where the overflow tube is but I dont thing it all went there, I did just fill it up before I drove home, so I epected some to come out there. and the little bit that is by the water outlet doesnt seem to be buch, even if I play with the Throttle cable and rev it up it doesnt spray by any means. and I filled it again when I got home last night and checked it in the morning and it was still full so i dont think its a leak thats too big.

I ordered the parts to replace a lot of it, so we will see if that fixes my problem, if I find anything in my adventures i will post it here to see if it helps Ira210 or anyone else who may have this issue. I certainly hope its not leaking internally!!!

Sweet... I'm going to fine tooth comb mine later. Not sure what else to scheck though as every coolant hose is dry dry dry and like I said earlier no wet spots under my car or in my car. :D

The compression will be checked tomorrow at neighbors. My idle is a little rough and the engine kinda stutters when I start to rev but goes away quickly and runs smooth. I also notice when driving at highway speeds or going up a hill when I gass the engine it will kinda lag then I feel like it almost drops out of overdrive when driving an automatic and pulls nice and hard. My car is a 4spd