Magically disapearing coolant!

Ira210

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a toyota pickup losing coolant and couldn't find it for the longest time, eventually discovered it by accident, there was a fitting between the head and firewall that was leaking when it warmed up and pressurized. It trickled down the top of the trans and evaporated never leaving drops on the ground.

Possible cut/cracked hose to the overflow bottle ? Still just guessing but I'd still vote for a head gasket.

Well never did check the compression. Been busy with life! I'm guessing the coolant is going through the intake manifold. The oil is still clean. But I do get a big cloud of coolant smelling steam coming out of the exhaust on start up. Any guesses on how long I can pretend like nothing is wrong. Till it stops working I'm guessing ha!

What about your reservoir, maybe this is leaking. I remember my hose from rad to reservoir wasn't tigthen right and wondering why my car was running hot, hose was not clamp right. What about smelling exhaust? Does it smell like coolant? Freez plugs leaking? Good luck..

Had a toyota pickup losing coolant and couldn't find it for the longest time, eventually discovered it by accident, there was a fitting between the head and firewall that was leaking when it warmed up and pressurized. It trickled down the top of the trans and evaporated never leaving drops on the ground.

Possible cut/cracked hose to the overflow bottle ? Still just guessing but I'd still vote for a head gasket.

I had a similer scenario on my 521 with disapearing coolent, had to refill once a week. No water on the ground or out the tailpipe. Found it on accident when changing my alternator. put my hand around the upper radiator hose and felt a little drop. Ended up when the truck was running, the drop of coolent would fall behind the fan and just blew it away. Turned out someone crunched the radiator outlet (channel locks most likely) and it just wasnt sealing good.

You can spend days or weeks wondering if there is a leak or just rent a radiator pressure tester and find out in minutes. If there is no leak it will maintain 15lbs. If the pressure drops and you keep pumping it up you will see any leak that is outside the engine. If it is inside the engine...?

sounds like what just happened to my 510 L18. mine turned out to be a corrosion hole going between a coolant passage and my exhaust port #2. it was slowly leaking coolant I to the exhaust and burning it. there was no visible smoke until this caused me to overheat and blow the head gasket. once the gasket had gone I had white smoke.

had to get a new head due to the hole because if I just dud the gasket the same thing woulda happened again. it took a while to find a new head but i ended up getting one from 71dimer on here.

• 5 weeks later...

I know its been a long time since I posted this but.... Turns out I'm pretty sure it was the intake manifold car started blowing large quantities of coolant smelling steam at startup so I got the bars with copper coolant system stop leak and so far I've lost zero coolant and no more coolant clouds out the exhaust!!!! Just thought is let yall know :D