'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

More parts arriving...

Rubber welting for the fender flares...

us140r.jpg

Sucks I can't work on my car this weekend so I have to wait 9 days to put it on... dry.gif

Where did you buy this, and how much did it cost? I need some for my flares. I found my missing E-brake part, somehow it landed in my drain pan at the bottom of the gear oil, the only place I didn't look. At least I found it when I emptied the pan. Also Drve Train Industries is modding my drive shaft for me, but I have to wait for parts to come from California, so will have to wait a while longer to drive my baby.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you buy this, and how much did it cost? I need some for my flares.

Got this off ebay, $18 shipped for a 25 foot roll (enough for one car).

http://www.ebay.com/...d#ht_500wt_1202

Also Drve Train Industries is modding my drive shaft for me, but I have to wait for parts to come from California, so will have to wait a while longer to drive my baby.

Excellent. B)

Nice wheels!

Thanks. :thumbup:

They look even better on the car.

Step #1: Cut into a perfectly good fender...

okay_013.JPG

Step #2: Install riv-nuts and bolt flare on

okay_015s.jpg

3/4 view

okay_016.JPG

Front view, aka "demon camber"...

okay_018.JPG

Will get some tires on them next weekend and get them fitted on the car the weekend after. Dropping the flares off at the body shop on Monday to get them sprayed by a pro (I don't trust Krylon for a job like this :rofl: ). Then it should all go back together in 2-3 weeks. Can't wait!

FYI, those pics are with a 1" spacer behind the wheel. I probably won't push them out quite that far when it's done. We'll need somewhere in the 1/2"-3/4" range for spacers. So I'll be ordering some 2.5" long ARP studs this week as well.

They look badass like this, but I don't think the car will turn, so... :P

Plan is to keep pushing them out until just before the car stops turning. :cool:

rota-aleica-alloy-wheels-pink-with-polished-lip--37756-p.jpg

Ugh! I hate Rota Wheels with a passion... These are some of the most rare and gorgeous rims out there and Rota has started to make fakes. Ridiculous. I would Neg. Rep. this if the new site made it possible. The fender flares look great, but I would change rim choices.

Ugh! I hate Rota Wheels with a passion... These are some of the most rare and gorgeous rims out there and Rota has started to make fakes. Ridiculous. I would Neg. Rep. this if the new site made it possible. The fender flares look great, but I would change rim choices.

But I didn't buy any Rotas? :confused:

You said you were thinking about getting them possibly in the future and I was hoping you would change your mind. I dont consider myself a wheel snob, but I wouldnt want to put anything fake on... but thats just me (especially something as rare as the Sakuras). I love the rest of the build so far and love the color combo of white and black. Its one of the iconic color combos as seen on the GT-Rs. I like it second only to the darker graphite/silver and black GT-Rs. With the gold set you picked up, the car looks awesome. Great setup.

You said you were thinking about getting them possibly in the future and I was hoping you would change your mind.

I did. :)

I just like the pink centers/polished lips. Wasn't sold on those wheels. Truth be told, if I do that combo, it will be Diamonds with a chrome lip and pink metalflake center. :cool:

I dont consider myself a wheel snob, but I wouldnt want to put anything fake on... but thats just me (especially something as rare as the Sakuras).

I don't mind fakes when it's something you can't readily buy, as in a 15x8 Sakura. Fakes of something that's easy to get (Work Equip 01 or 03), I can't really get on board for that. I tried some Equiip 03 fakes on this car at one time just to see if I liked the look.

There's a good chance somewhere down the road I'll order either some 14x8 -12 Equip 03's, or do the Diamond thing mentioned above. I'm not one to keep one set of wheels for t0o long. Had one 510 for two years, and it had 6 different sets of wheels on it. :lol:

I love the rest of the build so far and love the color combo of white and black. Its one of the iconic color combos as seen on the GT-Rs. I like it second only to the darker graphite/silver and black GT-Rs.

Totally. The white Kenmeris with black flares and white spoilers are definitely where I see this build heading.

Thanks. :thumbup:

They look even better on the car.

Step #1: Cut into a perfectly good fender...

okay_013.JPG

Step #2: Install riv-nuts and bolt flare on

okay_015s.jpg

3/4 view

okay_016.JPG

Front view, aka "demon camber"...

okay_018.JPG

Will get some tires on them next weekend and get them fitted on the car the weekend after. Dropping the flares off at the body shop on Monday to get them sprayed by a pro (I don't trust Krylon for a job like this :rofl: ). Then it should all go back together in 2-3 weeks. Can't wait!

The fronts are easy, just wait til you put the flares on the rear, fun fun fun! I just finished one side on mine, and the rear was lots of work. I ended up using 20mm spacers in the front and 25mm in the rear. I'm going to have to do a little more trimming on the front lower fender and the edge of the air dam. The tire misses clearing by about 1/2 in. and I couldn't tell until I got it on the ground, ther was plenty of room at full droop. Since my car is going to be red with black stipes, I'm going to leave my flares black gelcoat. I'm supprised that you didn't order yours in white. LOOKIN' GOOD anyway!

On the subject of wheels, I buy what I can afford, that suits my taste. If I had a big budget I would have some nice light forged wheels, like Rays, or something similar. If you guys don't like copies don't buy them, but don't dis someone for buying what he likes, or can afford. Different strokes for different folks you know. :thumbup:

• Like 5

The fronts are easy, just wait til you put the flares on the rear, fun fun fun!

That's why I started with the front. That way I was committed and HAD to do the rears. :P

I ended up using 20mm spacers in the front and 25mm in the rear.

Specs on wheels? Got a pic?

I'm going to have to do a little more trimming on the front lower fender and the edge of the air dam. The tire misses clearing by about 1/2 in. and I couldn't tell until I got it on the ground, ther was plenty of room at full droop.

If you look closely, you'll see a jack under the strut so that everything is fully compressed while measuring clearance. ;)

But I plan to install the longer studs, and add spacers 1/4" at a time until it's where I want it. In between each spacer added I'll roll it out and push it around to double check clearance.

I'm going to leave my flares black gelcoat. I'm supprised that you didn't order yours in white.

I already knew they looked good in white, but couldn't decide on white or black. I ordered them black so I could see if I liked the black without painting them. :cool:

Now that I'm set on black, I'll get them painted. The gelcoat looks good, but scratches way too easy and doesn't look "black" enough. :P

...and doesn't look "black" enough. :P

Blacker than black. Legit.

Im really thinking about flares on the 4dr. I know its a pain, but it might be worth it. If I could figured out how to rock carbon fiber ZG flares, I would.

Specs on wheels? Got a pic?

I don't know the specs on the wheels other than they are 15X7. I will be taking some pics tomorrow, and try and get them posted asap.

OK, I just got the pics in Photo Bucket, so here they are.

First side done

FlairsNewWheels.jpg

Front

FrontFlair.jpg

Rear

RearFlair.jpg

It's dropped 2 inches, and bottoms out way too often. I'm going to do a coil over conversion soon, and have custom reverse eye springs made for the rear. I hope that helps, I even cut down the bump stops, but no help.

Sorry to drag this back on topic, but... ;)

Was cleaning out my garage last night and found a pair of EDP rear disc conversion brackets I never used... :P

crap_0052.JPG

Gonna pick up some 200SX calipers and rotors this weekend and maybe pop them on in a week or two.

Since I'm doing that (10" rotors, single piston calipers), I thought "why not some bigger brakes up front?" ^_^

Picked these up today. 2008 Xterra, aluminum 2-piston caliper and 11.8" rotor. Yes, they just fit behind the 15" wheels, but that probably means I'm married to 15s forever, so... :cool:

crap_0031.JPG

Any ideas on how I could do a rear disc conversion on mine?

Just depends on how crafty you are. B)

I don't think anyone offers an off-the-shelf bracket for that conversion. Find some rotors that fit (80-83 200SX should) and some calipers you like (I'm using the 82-83 200SX), and make an adapter bracket yourself.

If you don't mind a little extra track width, you could retrofit an '85-87 Corolla GT-S rear end (disc brake and LSD), or the '80-83 200SX rear axle (disc brake, no LSD). But that's just as much fab work as making a caliper mounting bracket (if not more).

Haven't seen a disc brake rear axle that would be a "perfect" fit width-wise. I have seen a few 1200s with an early 80s Mazda RX7 GSL-SE rear axle fitted? That gets you disc brakes, LSD, and it looks to be no more than an inch wider than stock. Shave the 4-link brackets, weld on some leaf spring pads, and have a custom driveshaft made and you'd be in business. ^_^

Didn't get much done, but had a few minutes to mock up the fronts.

Had an old pair of 1200 struts that were still complete, so I'm going to use those for mocking up the brakes, then they should bolt right onto 1200 struts that are on the car. Stripped them down to bare hubs so see if the Xterra rotors were usable. Looks like I'll need to remove about 1mm from the center hole in the rotors to get them to fit up to the hubs. Close, but not close enough. Yet. B)

crap_0021.JPG

For comparison, the stock 1200 rotor versus the Xterra rotor... ^_^

crap_0041.JPG

Dropped them off at a machine shop to have the center bores enlarged, then once they fit the hub we will redrill the bolt pattern on the rotors. Thanks to burabuda for the assist on figuring this out.