1989 Volvo 240 DL Wagon

Well I have been keeping my eye out for a decent cheap 240 Wagon and I found one that fits the bill pretty well. Decent Car and starts up and runs nice, now I will be getting to work cleaning the car. My least favorite aspect of the car is the smoke smell. I am working on that now.

The Car:

1989 Volvo 240 DL Wagon

229,XXX Miles before the odometer stopped working about a year ago.

Auto Trans (I was hoping for a manual, but at least my wife can drive this in an emergency)

Body is in decent shape, unfortunately some rust around the Windshield, and a little around wheel wells.

Interior is dirty, but good. It has had floor mats to keep it nice for quite a while.

It has maintenance records from 1990-May 2010.

Decent Tires (Should last for about a year)

My Plans:

Not a lot honestly my wife asked me not to upgrade stuff until breaks (So I may just have to drive hard). I am working on picking up the Mitsu Turbo as well as the all of the turbo stuff off a 940 there is a guy local selling just don't want to spend what he wants. The overall goal is to daily this girl while slowly fixing the car.

I have a 1975 Datsun 280Z that I have turbo charged and run Megasquirt on that is my main project. I have been looking for a good Volvo for the past couple months and am definitely kicking myself for not jumping on a couple of them, but I really like this car and the price was definitely right for a good running Volvo with a nearly complete maintenance record. I will post up more pictures tomorrow here is a couple just showing how dirty the interior was. I promise I will take the next photos with a real camera, with a bit better lighting.

6173492233_ee01d34c05_z.jpg

6174020078_33f69e4761_z.jpg

6173492097_fe01debf3b_z.jpg

6173491975_983f591078_z.jpg

Some more cleaning, I also put some bounce sheets under the mats that I put back in to keep the smoke smell down.

I spread some baking soda yesterday and vacuumed it up this morning and did some more cleaning. I am waiting to hear back from the guy that has the turbo stuff.

6175027101_7b27b04989_z.jpg

6175027179_069bc0684b_z.jpg

6175027377_0075e6a261_z.jpg

6175027471_dc3d010a97_z.jpg

6175553438_0937cc52dc_z.jpg

6175553556_cbd0b1d09b_z.jpg

6175553668_1422753c0c_z.jpg

6175554122_8eea74d59b_z.jpg

6175554300_01959905cd_z.jpg

6175554932_793e66a08e_z.jpg

6175555134_83922b7f55_z.jpg

6175029443_421b9762bc_z.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool.

:thumbup:

So much potential.

Any plans?

History?

Not really any history I sold my 510 goon to get some money, and this is my cheap beater replacement. It runs well starts up good and is quiet and has a stereo (Not like a thumping one, but one that I can at least listen to the radio) I bought it at the airport off of some hippies who were leaving that day(I had checked it out the day before and gave them a very fare offer but they needed to think it over) they were really nice, just downsizing so they could go overseas.

The plan is to drive it a lot.

I am also talking to a guy that has all the parts to turbo one so I am trying to hook that up. Just trying to get it for a ratsun type price.

I plan on upgrading the wheels to a bit bigger when these tires wear out.

Also in the future I would really like to lower it some, and get some more sporty suspension in it.

I am mainly just going to enjoy driving it. This thing is SLOW, but that will be OK.

what happen to the pics of the outside

It is in my driveway and not to much space to get pictures I will get them pretty soon, then I will post them up.

Volvos are some of the toughest cars ever built. My brother's wagon has 375,000 on it. Your car looks pretty nice on the inside. Are you sure you might not be further ahead to just buy a Turbo car rather than converting this one? If you bought this one right you should be able to clean and flip it easy enough, then look for a turbo car. Just a thought.

Volvos are some of the toughest cars ever built. My brother's wagon has 375,000 on it.

I was working at a shop in 1998? 99?

There was an old Volvo 122 that came in all the time.

Thing had 670,000+ on the clock then.

My last trip to Portland in March? I saw this thing puttin about.

Same old man in it.

My Volvo tip of the day...IPD is a NoNo.

Care to elaborate? I have never heard anything bad about them, but never went searching for Volvo info either?

Idiots Pay Double

Their stuff is good. They are also very knowledgeable...

But you can find quality stuff out there cheaper.

I've got a buddy who is a big Volvo geek.

I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in.

Anyways, he love's em.

I have a liking for them, and picked up a lot of info through my years.

If a turbo wagon manual w/ the homolagated front end ever crossed my path, oh buddy!

Good I can proceed now I woke up thinking aww man I hope Driven gave me his blessing ;). I really like the car I have been cleaning on the engine the past few days I am working on getting it in tip top shape.

I checked the air filter, spark plugs, and compression. Everything seems in decent shape I want this thing to be running nice especially if I do turbo it.

My compression seems a bit low, but I am at 5000 feet so they are all at least somewhat close to each other

Cylinder 1: 125

Cylinder 2: 110 (It also took about 3 more cranks than the rest of the cylinders to get up to compression)

Cylinder 3: 120

Cylinder 4: 120

Joel, I LOVE those rims. I very much want to change rims but I promised my wife I would wear out the tires first (shouldn't be to hard since they aren't the best tires). I am still trying to pick up the parts for the turbo which would make the car much nicer.

So today I replaced the Odometer gear and got the odometer working! I used the links below. I was pleasantly surprised with how easy the task was, and how fast shipping was from the website I ordered the gear from. If your odometer isn't working I cannot recommend this enough very easy especially with the walk through at the links.

http://www.hyperocity.com/volvo240/volvoodometer.htm

http://www.odometergears.com/

On a separate note the engine seems to move a TON when I rev the engine with the hood open by using the throttle body. I also replaced the blinker light today as it was broke.

well I have a line on these rims (Not those exact rims, but that style) with good tires but the guy wants 300 bucks while I think that is worth it it is a 4.5 hour round trip down there and back and I am on fairly thin spending ice with the wife. Not to mention my 14's on there have a decent amount of life left. I think unfortunately I will just have to pass these up.

car-8161.jpg

Could I ask you a favor?

Would it be possible for you to measure from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface on your rear axle? and of course report back...

Anyways, I love Volvo 242s, but they have to have the single rounds in the front.

Oh and those wheels on the sedan are specific to the 240 turbos.