Atom's 72 510

I've come to realize i've never posted any pic's of either of my 510's. This one is my "daily driver" meaning the heater works because all the girls like the heater to work. and my other one is my drifter. [way to low to the ground and a locked rear end plus some bald tires]

these are night shots of the inside maybe tomorrow ill get some of the outside of the car.

$400 all stock, running, 1972 510

bought it with really nice headliner.

DSC05030.jpg

everything was all red and white and i am not a fan of red and white so I painted everything black.

it had red seats and no carpet and I had some old black house carpet laying around so I threw it in the car. The seats I pulled out of my 1978 510.

DSC05050.jpg

the back seat was all ripped up and red so it got chagned with my black seat. the door panels were red as well but that was easily changed with a can of black spray paint. DSC05049.jpg

And the most recent thing I did.

DSC05035.jpg

I though it would be cool to have outlets in my car, so today I bought a cheap 400wat 800peak power converter and made a custom bracket to mount it in the engine bay like it belongs there and re-wire the outlets so I could run them inside the car.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Atom. I've heard they make a vinyl paint specifically for door pannels and stuff, have you had any issues with the spray paint coming off, or did it stick pretty well?

I look forward to seeing day time shots.

No I used krylon for the door panels and it didnt want to dry so I just sprayed a small layer of the fabric paint over the top of it and it worked great. hasn't come off yet but in one spot where i rubbed it when it was drying.

As for the inverter I installed it myself and I edited the wiring a little bit so its off unless you turn it on. Its a pretty straight forward inverter. Its on its own circuit straight from the battery. There is a power and a ground that go to the actual inverter and I made my own harness to run inside the firewall.

and on my other car I have a bad heater core and it just leaks all my coolant everywhere when I drive. Unless I just turn the heat off. The fan still works.

I dont have a heat valve switch cable to the valve under the dash so I have to manually open and close it.

• 2 weeks later...

well good news! I decided to change out the locks on my 510 so i at least have the ability to lock the car if I ever wanted to.

But since I hate having two keys [one for the doors and one for the ignition] I changed the ignition as well.

However since I took the locks from a 82 210 parts car my brother had, the ingnition setup was different and I had to take it apart and get the lock cylander out. by the way, there is a pin that holds it in. I drilled the pin out. Don't think you are supposed to. Kinda makes it hard to put back in.

BUT got it all working good now and I am happy.

also my stock carb died so I put a weber on. pictures tomorrow!

Removed rust in my trunk! A chore and a half.

DSC05101.jpg

This is the before photo. Sorry to see my neon green air filter go.

DSC05074.jpg

And this is the shiny new weber photo.

DSC05106.jpg

This is what the ignition looked like when I took it all apart.

DSC05103.jpg

My roommate drove really slow really close to my car trying to scare me [ like he was going to hit my car]. Then he hit my car.

DSC05110.jpg

My dime in the day time.

Datsun.jpg

• 1 month later...

the trunk is yellow because that is the only colour of anti rust paint I had at the time. but it has kinda grown on me.

I got eclipse seats for my 510!

DSC05251.jpg

top of the motor

DSC05252.jpg

the side of the motor.

DSC05254.jpg

all in all. she used to sink, but she is a good ship.

haha also I put a L20 in so its not the same motor I pulled out. don't think I mentioned that in this thread yet.

The bottom end has 70 thousand miles on it and the top end has just been rebuilt.

good news though my odom just turned over to 70,000 so it match's up.

I think my oil pan gasket might leak because of how many times I took the timing cover off, but if thats my only problem I am good to go.

and no exhaust system yet. Just the manifold and about a foot of pipe. sounds cool though.

• 1 year later...

Can you say "Time to install a KA"?

DSC06581.jpg

Yeah I picked this guy up for 100 bucks. I need a transmission. And someone to assist on what smog stuff to remove? and maybe someone who has done it to stop by and maybe check a wire or two! if you want.

I got a Motor, ecu, uncut harness, raiator, and everything that was bolted to the motor for 100 bucks.

Edited by AtomChurch

I found this at a pick apart.

DSC06583.jpg

Its from a nissan truck. It has three fuses and three relays. Perfect for my KA adapter fuseblock.

I rewired it with a seventy amp fuse in the begging of the circuit. I cut the Fuse holder to fit inside the box.

DSC06587.jpg

DSC06590.jpg

DSC06589.jpg

DSC06588.jpg

why butt connectors?

Because the relay plugs were there already and the wires were cut. I could have re wired everything and taken the connectors out but this was really really easy. and you can't see it under the bottom cover.

Those fuses are generic from a lot of cars but I got the 70 amp out of a Honda and I dont remember what car I got the little block thing to hold them out of. It almost fit perfectly I just had to trip it a little bit. Looks nice and says nissan. haha. The cover label's almost match too.