Alex's red 4 door

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took me a few years. Fronts off eBay. Rears off Craig's list. Got them fairly cheap, under 200, considering I have never seen them for sale before.

NOS for sure

Thanks for the info. Mine starting to crack, so I am on the hunt. You would think that there would be for used ones out there, since most people removed them. But they probably threw them out.

Yep tossed mine off my 73.

Hey Alex your car is looking great, it's times like these that I'm glad I painted it.

You did an awsome job, James.

Now give me back those fucking stock mirrors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (painted of course :angel: )

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a friend(BayAreaDimer) do it at his shop in Redwood. He is no longer around. All i did was help with labeling and removing the old one. He ended up doing the rest during working hours so I couldn't participate or learn something at the time. (full time job and single parent)

I don't know shit about wiring and finally have the cash to pay a professional. 

Since this is my daily when its running,... this sucks!

The harness is home made, pulled from a wrecked dime. 

The hardest part because 73' is the fiber optic connections in the harness, so if you go painless you might lose those.

Don't quote me on that

It should be fairly simple though if the only not stock accessory is headlights, did he run the fans and headlights on the same powere wire? Are they both relayed?

That wire should be 8-10g for headlights and relayed with proper fuse there is to much resistance that's why it melted

or not proper ground wire size, or shorted out somewhere

The hardest part because 73' is the fiber optic connections in the harness, so if you go painless you might lose those.

Don't quote me on that

It should be fairly simple though if the only not stock accessory is headlights, did he run the fans and headlights on the same powere wire? Are they both relayed?

That wire should be 8-10g for headlights and relayed with proper fuse there is to much resistance that's why it melted

or not proper ground wire size, or shorted out somewhere

Not worried bout the fiber optic, didn't have them hooked up to light up to begin with.

Not sure about the rest...

With my luck it is probably a loose wire somewhere.

Last time I had a problem, I change the alternator.. but it was a loose ground wire.

This time, my brake booster went out on the last fun run. I changed it out all by myself lol and now the car wont start. when trying to get to the top left bolt(booster) I had to put a few extensions together to get to it, I think it arced to something. since then I started opening up the harness and found the headlight wire exposed and melted to other wires...just don't trust this harness anymore.

The problem is there is way too many exposed or not tucked wires every where..

its time to make the wiring look decent, you know, to match the paint and motor.