2012 Fiat 500 Sport

Well the wife got a new car again. we drove it and it is like little Go-cart with AC! it is really a bad ass little fuel sipper. i highly recommend driving one, if you are looking in this market for a car. handles great and is Really solid, like a Benz over harsh bumps etc. so wife is happy with it. so i have earned mega points for my projects now. thought i would share.

2012Fiat500.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they leed time to see an Abarth will be still another year. i would love to have a diesel version of this 500 like they have in Europe. the US market sucks balls we don't get shit for variety unless it consumes more than its fare share of fuel. Damn those Fuel companies!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

They are nice, but 40mpg seems pretty shit to me for such a small car.

Name another new small gas powered car that gets anything "much better".

If you want a go cart feeling and good fuel economy get a 92 civic si. My friend got 50mpg driving it rough.

I like these Fiats. I am convinced now that you have good taste Sublime.

Name another new small gas powered car that gets anything "much better".

If you want a go cart feeling and good fuel economy get a 92 civic si. My friend got 50mpg driving it rough.

I like these Fiats. I am convinced now that you have good taste Sublime.

There are few new cars that actually come with efficient engine designs. The Hyundai Elantra is rated at 30mpg city/ 40mpg highway, the fiat 500 is rated at 30 city/ 38 highway. A little 2 door hatchback getting worse mileage than a 4-door sedan is pathetic imo.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra/

Not to say its a bad car, its a cool little italian car and I'd love one if it where more efficient. unsure.gif

Back in the 80's my parents bought a chevy sprint(suzuki swift) which was about the size of the 500 and got over 50mpg consistently out of a carbureted 1liter 3 cyl, why cant a newer modern car get better??

There are few new cars that actually come with efficient engine designs. The Hyundai Elantra is rated at 30mpg city/ 40mpg highway, the fiat 500 is rated at 30 city/ 38 highway. A little 2 door hatchback getting worse mileage than a 4-door sedan is pathetic imo.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra/

Not to say its a bad car, its a cool little italian car and I'd love one if it where more efficient. unsure.gif

Back in the 80's my parents bought a chevy sprint(suzuki swift) which was about the size of the 500 and got over 50mpg consistently out of a carbureted 1liter 3 cyl, why cant a newer modern car get better??

And a 2.7 liter twin turbo jag diesel can get 55mpg (in a car about the size of a 7 series bmw).

You have to balance performance and economy. Im sure the fiat is faster than the hyundai. It sure will have better resale value. As for the sprint/swift/metro (yes it is a geo metro), have you driven one? They are utter crap. They fall apart from speed bumps, can hardly keep up with traffic, and are 3 cylinders... The cars you want exist, in europe. Look up the VW polo. Now a days, everyone wants a car that can go 100mph on LA's freeways, and they want economy which really doesnt happen, not when you also have federal mandates requiring safety equipment that weighs more than the car. How much safety equipment is on a swift?

Well the sonic might bring 40 mpg from chevy. Then there is the honda fit, and the ford fiesta, and The nissan versa, the scion XD. they Hyundai accent, toyota yaris etc etc etc...

From all those the honda I choose. I wonder what engine the fiat has and who really made it?

To me, well none shine better than the others. They are all just slightly different flavors. Some like vanilla, some like rocky road, and some like mint chocolate chip. But I was more of less saying there really arent any gas powered cars that get better than 40mpg built today.

And a 2.7 liter twin turbo jag diesel can get 55mpg (in a car about the size of a 7 series bmw).

You have to balance performance and economy. Im sure the fiat is faster than the hyundai. It sure will have better resale value. As for the sprint/swift/metro (yes it is a geo metro), have you driven one? They are utter crap. They fall apart from speed bumps, can hardly keep up with traffic, and are 3 cylinders... The cars you want exist, in europe. Look up the VW polo. Now a days, everyone wants a car that can go 100mph on LA's freeways, and they want economy which really doesnt happen, not when you also have federal mandates requiring safety equipment that weighs more than the car. How much safety equipment is on a swift?

That's why I love my 1988 Honda (yes a Honda) CRX HF...191K on it and it still gets me near 48mpg on the highway. No 3 cylinder engine here...plus a/c...yeah this little sucker rocks. Oh and as for resale value...I recently got offered $6K for it...but I didn't take it...instead I sold one of my other ones I had. I had a total of 3 of them, I'm down to just 2.

Picture048.jpg

Picture068.jpg

That's why I love my 1988 Honda (yes a Honda) CRX HF...191K on it and it still gets me near 48mpg on the highway. No 3 cylinder engine here...plus a/c...yeah this little sucker rocks. Oh and as for resale value...I recently got offered $6K for it...but I didn't take it...instead I sold one of my other ones I had. I had a total of 3 of them, I'm down to just 2.

Picture048.jpg

Picture068.jpg

I mentioned my friends 92 civic si in the post above. If the car is clean they make great cars. Though not for a wife that knows you can afford more...

I mentioned my friends 92 civic si in the post above. If the car is clean they make great cars. Though not for a wife that knows you can afford more...

If your friend got anything close to 50mpg, trust me it wasn't a Civic Si, it most likely was a Civic VX, that was the Honda fuel miser from 1992-1994 that was rated at 50mpg, an Si would never get 50mpg unless it was coasting down a long long mountain with the engine shut off.

FYI: 1992 Honda Civic Si's original window sticker showed 29mpg (city) and 36mpg (hwy)

I really like the 500, see dealers springing up all over in my travels. I think I'd consider it, but they need to get the price down 2-3k to attract interest over the Honda and Toyota loyalist.

Your car looks great!

They are nice, but 40mpg seems pretty shit to me for such a small car.

I know nothing of these new generation Fiats, but it does look like a fun little car. 40mpg's not a shabby number, BUT~

my fugly truck's got less than $1k in it. I get 24+mpg, and it's not even optimally tuned yet. My insurance (even with a DUI in the past) is still half of what it costs to insure a new car. Old cars -n- trucks appreciate in value. An ROI (return on investment) comparison would show such an econobox "catching up" to me bottom line economy-wise in the year 203_?

Of course this all goes out the window the minute the feminine psyche becomes a factor.... ;) Sounds like she- and therefore you- are happy with your choice, and that's what counts!

I'm curious~ how much oomph does this thing have?

• 2 weeks later...

the Fiat is almost as fast as my 610. it actually runs well, you have to wind it up to get it to go fast. its a Budget luxury putt-putt for the woman. she only drives it on special occasions. otherwise, we have a 79 Diesel Rabbit DD that gets 52 mpg city. best has been 82 mpg hwy. the difference between a Chevy Sprint "which i had one" and this Fiat is that there is at least 750 more lbs of car with the Fiat. hence the lesser mpg. its very simple. what you get with this car is quite impressive for the $.