How I spelled ratsun

wayno

I have been asked where I found the letters for my grill on the oic. below, well I went to the pick&pull and spent a couple hours looking. I got the idea at an intersection somewhere in town while I was sitting behind a dodge ram pickup, there was a big "R" on the truck, and I was trying to figure out how to find a "R" that would look proper like that other thread on this forum. One day at another light waiting for it to turn green, I looked at the trunk lid of the car ahead of me, and there it was, the answer, well almost, I was still short a "N", in front of me was a newer dodge stratus, there were all the letters except the "N". So off to the wrecking yards I went a few weeks later looking, well there are not many dodge stratus vehicles in the wrecking yards, but there are a lot of dodge neons, the problem with them is they are not higher end cars, so even though they have a "N" in there name, there letters are all stickers, basicly worthless. The same with "saturn", mostly stickers or flat rubber/plastic letters that are flat and hard to pull off the car without ruining them and not that good looking either. As I roamed the yard I finally came across a vehicle with raised chrome block letters in the vancouver yard, a dodge "intrepid" i think, it had these tilted letters, they looked good, no "A, S, or U, then I found another dodge "stratus with differant looking letters, thinner but chrome, and they are the ones I used in the oic. below, I turned the "U" upside down to make the "N".

DSCN0739.jpg

These are some of the letters I have collected over the last month, I have pulled them off a lot of differant vehicles, the dodge intrepid, stratus, the ford taurus also has the correct letters but I have not found chromed or otherwise separate block letters on any of them yet. I have not found any vehicle with all the letters I needed on it, and the problem is that differant vehicles have differant styled letters. I have been unable to find any tilted "S" or proper sized and tilted "A" letters except for the one in the photo below, but it is just not quite right.

DSCN0814.jpg

DSCN0811.jpg

DSCN0810.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been pondering this myself. Rather partial to this retro lookin one~ with the Rambler *R*.... ;)

Where'd the "atsun" come from?

The "R" was from the "RIO", sorry but I don't recall where the tall skinny letters came from, I found them in both gold and chrome, and the "U" is just an "A" with the middle part cut out and upside down. I think it was in the american vehicles section, but wouldn't bet any money that I was correct on that.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been pondering this myself. Rather partial to this retro lookin one~ with the Rambler *R*.... ;)

Where'd the "atsun" come from?

I figured it out, the "atsun" came from a "hyundai sonata", it comes in chrome and gold letters, the "U" is an upside down "A" with the middle of the "A" cut out. As I said before the "R" is off a "Rio". I hope this helps. wayno

• 1 year later...

That's how I figured out mine also, I was sitting in back of a "saturn" and realized I could spell "ratsun" with them letters, but saturn only uses stickers, so everytime I would pull up to a car in traffic, I would look at the letters.

One day while in the wrecking yard i went over to the domestic section and started looking at all the rear lettering until one day I seen the Ford Taurus, and I decided that an upside down "U" would work as an "N", there are other cars that have the letters needed like the "Dodge Stratus", but they are not hard plastic letters with depth to them like the Taurus.

The angled "T", "A", and "S" are the hard ones to find, I have a bunch of cool angled letters except for the mentioned ones.

• Like 1

That's how I figured out mine also, I was sitting in back of a "saturn" and realized I could spell "ratsun" with them letters, but saturn only uses stickers, so everytime I would pull up to a car in traffic, I would look at the letters.

One day while in the wrecking yard i went over to the domestic section and started looking at all the rear lettering until one day I seen the Ford Taurus, and I decided that an upside down "U" would work as an "N", there are other cars that have the letters needed like the "Dodge Stratus", but they are not hard plastic letters with depth to them like the Taurus.

The angled "T", "A", and "S" are the hard ones to find, I have a bunch of cool angled letters except for the mentioned ones.

I was just behind a Pathfinder SE at Burger King and theres all the letters you need there. Youll need two so that you can use the N twice. Once for an N and once as a U. Letters are all styled the same. 

^^^^^ and oem equipment

I got beat the arrows are going to tristen Grinds pathfinder post

It was kismet. I was reading this thread in line at BK. I looked up and looking at the Pathy letters, it just worked. I was like, " Wow Pathfinder is perfect. Oh damn, there's no S." I glance over to the right... SE.... "Perfect!"

I will have to look at the pathfinder letters, but I believe they are stickers instead of raised plastic letters, stickers don't look as good as raised letters, believe me when I say I have looked at just about every letter on every vehicle in 5 wrecking yards, back then parts were still cheap, so I was going every weekend.

The american manufactured vehicles have a way better selection of individual plastic chrome raised letters than the imports.

I will have to look at the pathfinder letters, but I believe they are stickers instead of raised plastic letters, stickers don't look as good as raised letters, believe me when I say I have looked at just about every letter on every vehicle in 5 wrecking yards, back then parts were still cheap, so I was going every weekend.

The american manufactured vehicles have a way better selection of individual plastic chrome raised letters than the imports.

They were raised letters for sure. I was right behind the Pathy looking at them... chrome raised letters. 

That new taurus badge looks great. Only problem I see is the spacing between the r and a may look odd compared to the t and a. See how the t reaches over the a farther than the r over the bottom of the u. Would need to see one rearranged.

• 1 month later...