Phlebmaster's 620 evolution

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...I gathered everything together that I needed to put things back together on my engine. Thank you Atom for the use of your tools bro!! :cool:

Well here are some pics of the engine and everything.

Block prep before head:

292bs0i.jpg

I don't know if you can tell, but I ported and polished the intakes:

2cypjt3.jpg

I got my head on strait: :lol:

2dchfdg.jpg

I lined up my cam sprocket to the # 2 position:

1tva6t.jpg

Front cover went on without a hitch:

73l3ig.jpg

I even came away with the obligatory meat puppet: :eek:

jg1g8y.jpg

Yeah...that will leave a scar: I don't remember seeing anything about this part in hainz's video!! :lol:

29c4228.jpg

I will have more to tell tomorrow, I still have to put on the hoses, change the oil, and fill it with coolant.

Oh man that is a beaut Phleb! With the black engine bay it will be like a ring in a jewlerybox when you pop the hood. Digging the blue accents.

Ok...she bangs...she bangs!! :lol:

I got her running today, right off. This is the first time I am posting a video of my project so I hope it works out...you cannot her me but I am saying thank you to everyone who helped me out!! :D

I could not have done this project right without your help as it was my first time tearing apart a motor!! :eek:

View My Video

You guys are the best!!:cool:

I wish you could hear her....she purs like a kitten.

thats clean man im about to do an engine teardown soon looks like fun did you figure out the smoke?

Hainz is right...these motors are a piece of cake to tear down and rebuild. The smoke is from my piston rings I believe. I did not do the lower end yet. I planned on doing that when I replace the clutch since I will pull out the motor and tranny anyways. :eek:

I kind of got rushed on this project because my family car bit the dust...(200sx). So I needed to get the 620 up and running asap, so I did not get to the rest of the project yet. More fun on it's way!! :D

Bonvo...do the lower end at the same time as the top end, I wish I did.

Here are some engine pics from the beginning until now, enjoy.....

This is where I started:

sqpoa1.jpg

You may remember this one.....:lol:

70djxd.jpg

I finally got a Weber...:D

28cejyw.jpg

The tear down!! :eek:

eziids.jpg

Reassembly....I was scared to death!!

2mwi39.jpg

Got'er done!!

rvyk3a.jpg

After I finished assembly and reconnected all the parts, she started right up. Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this adventure. :cool:

• 2 months later...

Ok..I just got all of the parts I needed to finnish my motor. I am re-ringing the pistons and putting in new rod bearings. I am also going to put on some fender flares thanks to Freaky510!!

I will of course take pics of the project for everyone. :D

It was nice to meet you Brian!

I did the lower end today....OMG! I started at 6am and was finished at 3:30pm. I was soooo nervous about doing this and it turned out to be a peice of cake. Thanks to everyone who has helped me out with this. :cool: She does not smoke anymore and I have tons of power!

Well here are the promised pics, I did not take too many because I was a little more concerned about doing the job right. :D

Here is the first piston I took out, the rings were in very bad shape and so were the bearings. I replaced rings and bearings.

nbokut.jpg

r2tfli.jpg

Here is the crankshaft, it was in good shape.

2zsmp3c.jpg

1z3z4gj.jpg

Hahaha....the tool of the devil!

1zwfevm.jpg

Here is the first piston I did before honing.

t6rndk.jpg

And this is after I finished all cylinders.

158b4lt.jpg

Now one question.....what is the rules for breaking in the new rings and bearings?? You know, the do's and dont's. Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot wait to get this on!! :eek:

Here is the monster cam and a U67 head I will be putting on my truck once I get a bigger carb.

U67 head intakes

x2ugp2.jpg

U67 comp cam lob

219p69z.jpg

Can I run my 32/36 with this setup?? I don't have a larger carb but I would like to put it on my l-16.

This thread has inspired me to pull my L16 and rebuild it. Loving your project so far! What special tools did you need for the rebuild? What about parts? What paint did you use on your engine and manifolds? Does it hold up to high temps?

Again project looks great!

Thanks!!

Check out this thread: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=4707&highlight=REPLACING+PISTON

That is where I posted the info on tools and parts. All you need is a solid day and the parts. I did not pull the engine, didn't have to. :)

The paint is Krylon True Blue and Krylon chrome out door paint. Seems to be holding up to the heat very well. The truck was painted with the True Blue paint as well.

Post your project as you build it. I was supprised how easy this was to do. :cool:

Thanks!!

Check out this thread: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=4707&highlight=REPLACING+PISTON

That is where I posted the info on tools and parts. All you need is a solid day and the parts. I did not pull the engine, didn't have to. :)

The paint is Krylon True Blue and Krylon chrome out door paint. Seems to be holding up to the heat very well. The truck was painted with the True Blue paint as well.

Post your project as you build it. I was supprised how easy this was to do. :cool:

I've got a threat on the510realm with my project. I'm really thinking I need to rebuild my engine though. Could only make things better, right? How many cans of paint did it take to do your exterior? Did you use rattlecans or a professional sprayer?