Clutch replacement.

Uncle Laulau

The clutch let go on me and my old lady while we were garage sale shopping. It's slipping real bad. Oh and the starter is almost gone. So my friends I am going to need to figure out what year my 5 spd 200sx tranny is. I ran the number on the top of the bell housing on the web and got zip.

IMG_9235.jpg

I don't know if the number shows to well in this oic.

So if any one would like to share their knowledge on the 200sx five speeds that bolt up to L18s, it would be much appreciated. This is probably going to be a slow fix, due to the fact I'm going to summer school, and have to gather up some ramps and jack stands. It's stuff I should have any how. Just picked up a digital timing light on ebay for 20 bucks, sweet. So that's about it. I'll keep posting it up so all may share in my clutch swapn fun. Wayno feel free to stop by and chuckle at me.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the first generation 200sx(s10) that came with the "dogleg" 5-speed. They made them from 75-79.

Really, you should be able to tackle it in a weekend. Once you do it a few times, an afternoon would be all it takes. ;)

That's the funny thing it is a standard shift pattern, not a dog leg?! I'm going off what the previous owner told me.

dude i'm in the same predicament. except the PO told me my "dogleg" was from a 1978 510 wagon.i will be looking at this thread closely fo sho.

Hmmm that's funny how we all have different stuff in our trucks. Hope this thread clears up some things for all, especially me tehhheeee. PO means something totally different on other forums!

It is totally immaterial what transmission you are running behind the clutch and pressure plate. The clutch does not care whether it's a 4 or 5 speed standard pattern or dogleg or what year.

The only thing that is important is the flywheel bolt pattern that holds the pressure plate on. Cars (and L16 and L18s)are 200mm and trucks are 225mm but after many years and owners swapping parts it could be either. Remove the transmission and pressure plate and measure across the clutch disc or it's contact surface.

For example, this is a 240mm from a 720 truck...

flywheel240mmthree2Large.jpg

Why would I laugh, clutches are a bitch, even with the short tranny on a good day, and you have a long one in there. I have never dealt with a longshaft in a 521, don't even know if it will come out without moving the engine. If it was me I would unbolt the tranny and see if it can be moved back far enough to get to the clutch cover bolts without dropping it to the ground. If not, maybe since you have buckets in your truck, maybe it will allow the tailshaft of the tranny to rise far enough to get it out.

So looks like the carb is working good...:P If the clutch is slipping.:angry: Like stated must remove trans to measure fly-wheel or clutch disc before buying clutch..;)

I have a lot of free time(unemployed), this could be out in under 2 hrs...if its slipping to much to drive might as well pull it before you mess up the fly wheel trying to drive it more.

With the right jack, jack stands and a few blocks of wood removing the trans is simple....no need to buy it all. You could have the clutch parts by then.

(I Have these)

Why would I laugh, clutches are a bitch, even with the short tranny on a good day, and you have a long one in there. I have never dealt with a longshaft in a 521, don't even know if it will come out without moving the engine. If it was me I would unbolt the tranny and see if it can be moved back far enough to get to the clutch cover bolts without dropping it to the ground. If not, maybe since you have buckets in your truck, maybe it will allow the tailshaft of the tranny to rise far enough to get it out.

You have been super cool man, and I don't really think you would laugh at me, just with me. So true about the room from that huge hole between the seats. I bet it will help.

I have a long 5 speed in one of my 521 trucks. It has been a while, but I think I can remove the transmission, from the bottom without removing the engine.

I have a 200 MM flywheel, use the 2000 roadster clutch.

I've read a little on the roadster clutches, what's so good about them? I still don't know my fly wheel surface diameter, would it match up? Does your 521 have an L18, the one with the tranny you mentioned? I said tranny teheee.

So looks like the carb is working good...:P If the clutch is slipping.:angry: Like stated must remove trans to measure fly-wheel or clutch disc before buying clutch..;)

I have a lot of free time(unemployed), this could be out in under 2 hrs...if its slipping to much to drive might as well pull it before you mess up the fly wheel trying to drive it more.

With the right jack, jack stands and a few blocks of wood removing the trans is simple....no need to buy it all. You could have the clutch parts by then.

(I Have these)

Man that's so cool of you to offer! I will let you know if I am in need of some manly jacks or blocks or...that sounds weird. Really thanks for looking out. The engine is good enough for fishing, carb and distributor. It really isn't running super good. The engine cranks very slow, like it has a week battery, but the battery is good. I think the starter is going bye bye. I digress. I am just fixing what breaks, then I want to make it fun to drive. We shall see. Wow I just truck vented...I'm a dork.

Anyone know what the numbers on top of the bellhousing (front case) indicate? I think that one says '7721740'.

I looked em up on the interweb and got a zip. I'll try some more, just to figure out my junk...I mean figure our my stuff...never mind. Yikes.

If I find out I'll post it up.

It is totally immaterial what transmission you are running behind the clutch and pressure plate. The clutch does not care whether it's a 4 or 5 speed standard pattern or dogleg or what year.

The only thing that is important is the flywheel bolt pattern that holds the pressure plate on. Cars (and L16 and L18s)are 200mm and trucks are 225mm but after many years and owners swapping parts it could be either. Remove the transmission and pressure plate and measure across the clutch disc or it's contact surface.

For example, this is a 240mm from a 720 truck...

flywheel240mmthree2Large.jpg

that's what i was thinking

The roadster clutch pressure plate has a much stronger spring in it. It is a 200 MM clutch plate. Most L-16 engines, and L-18 engines use this clutch. L-18 engines in 620 trucks might use a bigger clutch, but I think most 4 cylinder cars with either engine used a 200 MM clutch.

Anyone know what the numbers on top of the bellhousing (front case) indicate? I think that one says '7721740'.

If they were like the automatics you could tell the year and month of manufacture from the number... but every one I have looked at never worked out. The dealer gets a '78 Z car in for work. They don't need the date and year stamped on the tranny, they can just look on the door jam. The problem with no date on them is if they are swapped. I'll bet there are more than a few people driving around with truck trannys and think they have a zx one in it.

Man that's so cool of you to offer! I will let you know if I am in need of some manly jacks or blocks or...that sounds weird. Really thanks for looking out. The engine is good enough for fishing, carb and distributor. It really isn't running super good. The engine cranks very slow, like it has a week battery, but the battery is good. I think the starter is going bye bye. I digress. I am just fixing what breaks, then I want to make it fun to drive. We shall see. Wow I just truck vented...I'm a dork.

I remember you saying you just got this truck....PO can make things hard for new owners. You get to find out all the reasons they may have been selling. Knowing or not about faults or just not skilled to fix. But once you get everything working proper, almost nothing better than driving, just listening to the motor...(Talk about Dork):D Your starter problem could just be dirty or bad cables......:unsure: