Clutch replacement.

Uncle Laulau

I just got motivated enough to get under the truck. Man it's a pain jacking up lowered vehicles. So I checked the play on the clutch peddle. None to speak of and it just feels too tight. So I got under and played with what I think is called the clutch slave cylinder. I adjusted it out about two centimeters. My clutch works like almost new, no slipping at all. Now my father all ways said the clutch isn't adjustable. I think he was right, you can't adjust the clutch but you can mess with the peddle. You can adjust how much it releases the clutch and how much it keeps it engaged, correct? My dad said if it starts to slip it's just time to change it. So I'm guessing I'm just squeezing a few more days outta her. What do you guys think.

While I sat pondering my clutch, I started to desire a huge engine. I know I'm putting the cart before the horse. I just dream about an angry engine shaking the truck to peices. It just seems right. I'm starting to dislike buzzing around town, sounding like I'm going 100 and barely going the speed limit. Whenever I see a civic blast past me at 25 mph sounding like a jet plane it bugs the heck out of me. All noise and no speed. I don't want to be that guy. Thoughts? I read some of the engine swap threads and was completly discouraged. I cant weld and I don't want to put a bolt in engine with the same or less hp than my l18. I certainly can't afford to take it to some z place and say hook a brutha up with a turbo srd and matching tranny. Oh my that would be the most expensive 521 in the world! I digress. When the clutch goes... again I'll update and scream for help. I'm off to buzz to the local fishing hole.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are different clutches and his knowledge is based on N Am cars and isn't wrong, just that the Asian ones are different.

My dad started out owning and working on Triumphs then later in life switched to Zs his last car was a quick sentra ser spec v thingy. That was fun. So are you saying adjusting a clutch on my 200sx tranny is possible? I'm just trying to learn. One thing I have learned mechanics don't all ways see eye to eye.

So if your clutch started to slip would you adjust it, or just replace it? Again just trying to get a clewsky and a new hairdusky.

The 200SX clutch is adjustable.

1. Adjust it for a tiny bit of play between the clutch Slave cylinder and the release fork. You might need to remove the external spring to check this (if it has one).

2. Adjust it at the pedal for at least 1/4" play

My dad started out owning and working on Triumphs then later in life switched to Zs his last car was a quick sentra ser spec v thingy. That was fun. So are you saying adjusting a clutch on my 200sx tranny is possible? I'm just trying to learn. One thing I have learned mechanics don't all ways see eye to eye.

So if your clutch started to slip would you adjust it, or just replace it? Again just trying to get a clewsky and a new hairdusky.

So you loosened the clutch slave rod(it's an ajustable rod?) below on the side of the transmission and the clutch quit slipping, that is what you said in the earlier post, is this correct? I stepped on your clutch pedal the other day when I stopped by, told the neighbor across the street that was watering his plants to tell you I stopped by, if felt fine to me, but that is only one part of the whole clutch system. I actually didn't think it was possible to have the slave engage the throwout bearing unless the rod was to long to start with, I suppose the rod could have been so close/tight that as the clutch disc has worn, it engaged the throwout bearing.