27 year search is over!!!!

m1275

Hello Everyone,

I would like to introduce myself to all of you.My name is Hector and I live in South San Francisco, Ca.This is my first post here on Ratsun.I have wanted a 510 since I was in high school in the early 1980's. I have restored 5 WW2 and Vietnam era jeeps and a Marine Hmmwv, but the 510 has always eluded me until a few weeks ago. My buddy sent a lead about a person selling a 1972 4 door 510 with a blown motor for $200. I scooped it and brought it home. I have been reading many of the posts here and since the motor was blown I have decided to attemp an SR20DE swap. I look forward to posting my progress and asking for your mechanical wisdom.

Thank you, Hector

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest you could get the car running sooner with a L-engine in it, and the L-engine would bolt up to the transmission. I do not know how strict they are on getting a car smog tested in California, although they do not inspect pre 1975 cars, by federal law, they should still have the smog equipment functioning. The L-engine may cause fewer questions to be asked, and when it is titled, and registered in your name you could put the SR20DE engine in the car.

Being in Cali I also suggest just getting the L series engine running for now. Drive it that way for a while. Cali has the pre-75 smog law, and if you're caught with the later engine, you'll have to emission it for the later engine. IE: if you use a 1995 motor, you'll need to pass smog for 1995 rules. Or you can try to skate by like most people due, and risk it. If you later decide you want the SR20 you can accumulate the parts while you are still able to drive the car.