The next episode.

izzo

Lasts over 10 years. Wont scratch, chip, or fade. The guy in the video for it was using his car key to scratch the hood real hard, and didn't leave a mark. I wrapped my phone with the OD green I have, and after a year of bein in my pocket with other objects, still in amazing shape.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My temp gauge worked sometimes, gas gauge started coming and going....  If I pushed on the back of the pc board, it would work, when I let off it would quit... So I knew it was time for removal. 

IMAG0244_zps6c306cfb.jpg

While I had it out, it was a good time to clean the plastic lenses. To bad mine is broke.  Anyone have a good one I can buy?

Its hard to see. But there is corrosion built up where the contacts go. On the lights, AND  where the fuel/temp gauge touch.  I didn't take any pics of the fuel / temp gauge removed.

Now, for the contacts. You do NOT want your fingers touching the contacts. Finger oil, over time will cause corrosion and eat away the brass.  For this, the best thing to use is a regular pink erase like you got when you were in school.  If that doesn't take it down, use a fingernail file like the picture.  Just a light scuff to take it back down to brass. then run behind it with an eraser.

emery-board-50pcs-lot-nail-file-for-nail

End result, again no pictures of the fuel / gauge contacts. But the fuel / gauge unit is screwed down to the PC board.  When its secured, the contacts touch each other thus giving you your fuel / temp readings... But you get the picture, its fresh and non corroded.  A very fine smear of electrical grease will be tits on these!  Then re-install everything... Now all my gauges / lights in the gauge cluster work prefect.  I also replaced the lights with LED lights from superbrightleds.com   That is a difference all on its own.  They are polarized.  So you have to install them right.

IMAG0247_zps1deaeaae.jpg

Use the pink eraser on contacts, even computer contacts... lol. like the little gold ones on the cards you install etc. 

Bought some maguires buffing compound today.  Started in on the car, but had to finish. Took the lady to see a movie.  Gonna hook up the dual action buffer and get to work on the car. hopefully be done this weekend. Might hit it with some TR3 afterwards.  I have some before pics but gonna wait till I get more done before doing an after.

Dull paint is dull.....

Busted out my DA sander, some terry cloth attachments... Some Maguires ultimate compound.... These are only BEFORE pics... Look how dull it is!  Build up, green shit by the trim, corrosion... IDK if this was ever washed after it was painted, at someones house lolz....

Before pics... After pics another day......

IMAG0251_zpsa10f3363.jpg
IMAG0250_zps70ad7a77.jpg
IMAG0249_zpsd7a7678d.jpg
IMAG0248_zps3c8f68b4.jpg

Hmm that is odd. When we did Mikes wagon (H5WAGON) it would come out great on some panels but others looked similar to yours. We came to the conclusion that those panels were not coming out due to poor paint repairs.

I would see what the foam or wool pad does. But from the looks of the pics, It doesn't look it will come out much. Doesn't hurt to give it a shot though. Maybe Mike can chime in with some pics of his. Every time I go over there the black mold or whatever it is gets worse lol. It comes back so fast.

Hahaha. It's tempting. But, I am going to get an actual buffer, a foam pad and a wool pad. Then spend a good hour or on the hood or roof and see the results. The Maguire ultimate compound is designed to cut a little. So it'll take down some inlmperfections and grime old wax, and oxidation. Leaving me with whatever crappy paint job it had. Then a coat of Maguire super shine wax shit, should make it so I can see off the finish like a mirror. I'm really Hoping the paint isn't to bad under the grime. Some spots like the sides of the car I have a feeling will look awesome. The roof, hood and hatch Idk about :/

But, seeing how the paint is the worst there. I am thinkng about sanding it down, smoothing, then hitting it with matte black. Might just do it on the hood. Cowl needs installed next. I need a manual gas pedal instead of this automatic one. Been driving fine but it would be nice to have some extra room. My feet are too damn big.

Next up on the list will be new steering parts. Ball joints, tie rods. Then shocks for the rear, and before that most likely the e brake. Looks like it needs a new cable in the rear. Already have new shoes in the back and freed up the adjusters. Thinking about doing new calipers. But probably just hold off since they work ok and there's tons of pad left. Rather rebuild a set of 280zx and throw that on the front.

One thing at a time. I keep finding little things to do. Need to pull the motor and put a new pan gasket on.

What holds me back the most is money. My girl lost her income and I'm really strapped these days. Cancelled the cable for a while so that helps a little. She may have a job next week so things will pick back up real fast.

If the paint is super shit. I may... Just might. Sand, smooth it a bit and go with matte black. I'm hoping to polish and repaint the grille and headlight surrounds this week and weekend. Need to install my piaa lights on it. Got the ones from my old orange wagon back.

Window tint would be tits too!

Used to paint speaker boxes with a gun. Wasn't hard. Preparation tho Idk Wtf I'm doin lolz. It'd be a disappointment doing a bunch of work, painting it and see a bunch of little dings I missed or a year down the road it cracks. I tell everyone black is over done too :lol: but I dig it. Matte black, tinted windows. Menacing. All you can see at night is lights rolling down the road :ninja:

^^^ Hahhaha.  Very soon yeah? Are you going black on this truck?

Oregon law says you can do 35% on the door windows and as dark as you want on the back 3..... doooo eeeeet.

For 20 bucks I can get that old school windshield tint done...  Going to do it, hopefully before canby.

yup, black paint and tint still to do. But they will have tio wait.

unless you can show me where to get my windows tinted for $20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol.  The front windshield tint thing is 20 bucks. The rest, is not.  It's just a bar or strip that goes across the inside top of the windshield. Legal here in oregon, and really helps out not getting blinded by the sun.  Plus looks cool :thumbup:

Should look tits on the wagon, with the old ass datsun sticker going across there, should make it pop!

Here is the strip I'm talking about.  Its this or close to it.  I wish I could get one thats faded like they had on cars that came out in the 70s.  It was super dark at the top and faded out as it came down.

Example

69140d1367459339-windshield-banner-tint-

Old school one from the 70s.

See how the tint fades out as it goes down... I don't think I can get that done. Pretty sure they put that in the glass when making it.

HPIM0222.jpg

Anyways, that black strip behind this old ass datsun sticker... Should look good. When I can afford it, ill get the rest of the windows tinted.  Other things have priority first. But I think it'd look good with all the windows tinted, that strip, the sticker, and maor lowered.

IMG_20130314_194127_zps906bd1a8.jpg