The next episode.

izzo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to install the MR2 seats today. Then I realized one, the guides that are out there are for different five ten seats apparently.  My adjuster on the stock 510 seats is in a different place, on the front, and side, instead of  both sides like in the guide. Fuck :\

Not enough supplies to get it done today, what a waste of time dicking around that was. 

What a pain in the dick getting this thing to be 100% is. 

Need to double check the timing, slight miss on idle. Can hear it thru the exhaust.  My four door, it took timing, new plugs and wires. Problem was solved.

Need to figure out why the carb is being a cunt. I can't get it tuned right.  I've tried two weber carbs, with same results. base gasket is new. Idk wtf is going on with it :\ Been dicking with it for an hour.  All other weber carbs, I could turn the AF screw in a ways, when it ran like shit and almost died... I would back it out till it ran smooth, then a half turn past that.

This one, christ..  Half turn in either direction, runs like crap, full turn almost kills car... any further and it will..  I stuck it in the middle and called it good...  I can't figure out why its not tuning right.. The exhaust smells rich or lean idk which.  The idle screw has to be in a few turns.  weber states it shouldn't be more than 1 1/2 or something..

Are you saying you turn in the idle screw and the engine will not die ?

If that's the case.. (assuming jetting is boss)

-Power valve check ,

-float height and/or sunk float check maybe ?

Idk... I usually have a set of ball pein hammers to help in situations such as this.

wat?

I mean that... The idle screw is turned in a bit more than it should be, I would think?? According to weber page, previous cars, and micro :lol:  the idle screw HAS to be in a bit, holding the throttle open for it to run at all.  A little is to be expected.  I think its to much, Ill have to go re-count the turns to know how far.  According to the weber guide, it should be in no more than 1 1/2 turns. 

The air/fuel mixture seems a bit out of whack also.  Before, I could turn the screw in and bottom out. Car idle speed would idle faster.  It seemed to like it.  I may have found a small vacuum leak so I made sure it was sealed, turned the idle screw out... Then started messing around playing with the AF mixture again.  Before, on other datsuns/webers...  when I turned in the AF screw on any other weber, it would start to die as the screw was getting closer to bottoming out. This one seems different... FWIW I tried two of the same model webers on this car with same results.

What it came down to, was I couldn't get the car to start and run with the idle screw out, no matter where the AF mixture screw was.  All the way in, all the way out. In half turn increments.  I put the AF mixture back in a ways towards where it was when I started all this, then kept turning in the idle screw until it finally started.  Once it started...  I played with the AF mixture until I finally found a happy spot.  It idles fine where its at. If i go half turn or more in or out, it runs like shit then dies by ~about a full turn, maybe a little more... 

It's being a pain in the dick.

^^^ :rofl:  well that certainly changed my attitude :lol:  Sigh.  One thing at a time, izzo. one thing at a time.  Emailing weber to see if they will give me some info on what an L18 should be jetted at. 

So next weekends list...

Check timing

oil

Gear oil

A quick wash....

Its running, can't complain to much I guess. Just a bunch of little things keep popping up.  I don't want to hurt the motor by running to rich/lean. It doesn't smoke white/black tho so idk..  Maybe I should just leave it the fuck alone and drive it. just fix the oil leak and by happy.

^^ Right. Wish it was still there, too!

I have my PIAA lights off my old orange wagon! Dude sent them back from Hawaii.  So they are going on this wagon.  Bumpers already a little tweaked so I have no problems drilling some holes.

IMAG0001.jpg

Bummer

It'd look good on there with the PIAA lights.  Having a CB in there that worked would be fun, for like a month :lol:  Aesthetics tho, it'd be cool all the time having that antenna. I could probably go get a 6ft whip and install that. It wouldn't be an antenna, its just a 6ft whip. Normally has an orange flag on it for the toys at sand lake.

I found a 6 ft fiberglass 1/4 thick whip for 15 bucks shipped, no flag. Has hardware to attach to something.  I'll have to dig around for a jap battle flag :lol:  Doubt I could get it on and done before canby.  Need to do the MR2 seat install first, so I can give you your prize :D

Thanks buddy!!  I do dig the blue too. Wish the paint was nicer.

Need to finish buffing it, maybe this weekend.  Friday on out is supposed to be real nice. we shall see! Imma keep the  blue for a while....

Decided I'm not doing shit, not even pulling the motor.  Gonna drain the oil, throw some 20/50 in it and rock it.  When I pull it to replace the oil pan gasket I am going to put a new throw out bearing in there too, and have a set of timing cover gaskets handy... Need to drill the studs on the exhaust manifold at the downpipe and put new bolts in there... Just gonna wait till I have everything, so it's just a weekend down time.

Anyone have a spare rear seat, seat belt I can has?  I'd like to install a middle seat belt. 

• Like 1

Thanks buddy!!  I do dig the blue too. Wish the paint was nicer.

Need to finish buffing it, maybe this weekend.  Friday on out is supposed to be real nice. we shall see! Imma keep the  blue for a while....

Decided I'm not doing shit, not even pulling the motor.  Gonna drain the oil, throw some 20/50 in it and rock it.  When I pull it to replace the oil pan gasket I am going to put a new throw out bearing in there too, and have a set of timing cover gaskets handy... Need to drill the studs on the exhaust manifold at the downpipe and put new bolts in there... Just gonna wait till I have everything, so it's just a weekend down time.

Anyone have a spare rear seat, seat belt I can has?  I'd like to install a middle seat belt. 

Def nice , but hey.. can't win em all ;)

Buffing sounds like a plan.. shows how much you love your 510 to !!!

I no haz spare rear seat and seat belt.

Maybe spare bottom part of 280zx 2+2 seat though... :lol: :)

Vector Vinyl!  Badass as always, thanks man!

izzo_zps7d563d19.jpg

.... :rofl: ^^^ ..... bahahaha

• Like 1