Re-producing model car kits

I am looking at re-producing a model car kit that I acquired about 5 years ago. Anyone have any experience with creating casts and molds and what not to remake an old 1/20 scale plastic model kit? I am not looking to redo all the pieces just the main body. Any help or suggestions would be great. :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking at re-producing a model car kit that I acquired about 5 years ago. Anyone have any experience with creating casts and molds and what not to remake an old 1/20 scale plastic model kit? I am not looking to redo all the pieces just the main body. Any help or suggestions would be great. :)

Lets see some pic's of different views of the piece your trying to mold.

?

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

Those are the 2 main parts of the model I want to do. There is also a tailgate and some other pieces to make it look like a truck but I need to start somewhere.

The blue is clay used to fill the gaps to make the 2 piece molds. I have a general idea of how to do it, but it is my first time and if anyone has done something like this before I would love to know so tips.

Yeah, I am sure there will be a big calling for them. I will see what I can do. I am going back to square one though. I just removed all the clay because I need to "partially build it" I think. It will make it easier to include some more detailed pieces without me killing myself over it.

I dont know that I will be doing all the pieces. it may end up like some of the slotcar ones.

Like this

rms620kit.jpg

RMSresins makes amazing looking slot car kits.

I just want the king cab to where I can paint and do some customization work to it.

This is where I am going to get the kit (I had one but it was much too small and I think it leaked...)

http://www.alumilite.net

I was thinking about looking skib, but I think in the quantity I would need it would be beneficial to get it online. The company has shown that it makes a good product and I want to be able to produce a few of these things. I really have to get the model to the point that I am happy with it and I think that it will reproduce correctly.

This is a mockup of what I plan to actually make (minus wheels and tires). All one piece due to it being easier to produce. We will see. I just hope this doesn't end up in a box for 5 more years.

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

Yes, this is the Entex model. I have zero intention of ever reproducing the entire model though.

This is the Entex No. 9164. I just wish they would have made more... Buying multiples on ebay is going to cost too damn much!

IMG_1069.jpg

I have to go through and make sure they come out well enough to do it. Also have to determine price. Like I said, I hope it turns out well. I MAY try to get the mold done this weekend (if I get my homework done) and maybe bring some with me to canby.

If you can find an old VaccuForm kit in a second hand or thrift shop you would be in luck. Slot car racers used to make thin plastic shells from ordinary kit models to cover their slot car racer chassies. Block out the windows and windshield, heat up and pump away. Cut out the window glass area, or if you really did a good job mask them when you paint.

That silicone will need to be de aired or vacuumed down. You will need to mix small amounts of silicone and wait about 30 minutes between pours to make sure no bubbles are trapped in the mold. If you mix large amounts and pour in the mold box it will start curing before all ther air can escape and could cause permanent problems with the mold. Air can get trapped inside of fender wells and other indents in the body. Be really careful. You can take a coffee stirrer and help pull the silicone away from the areas once poured in to try to make certain the areas get filled with silicone and not get air trapped. Alumilite was the best deal I could get for a vacuum chamber.

• 4 weeks later...