Sly Tuna's 74' 620

Silvester

Well guys I've been looking at 620's for the past couple years and finally came across one that suits my needs. Ill be going to pick it up tomorrow (if everything goes as planned) however the car is located 5 hours away from me! blink.gif My best friend and I will be taking a car there and driving both back home. I'm looking for some advice for things to expect if something were to go wrong. Truck has been sitting for the last 6 months but owner states the thing runs like a champ with no mechanical issues. What tools would one recommend to bring besides your basic hand tools?

My current ride is a 2011 Nissan Frontier S 4cyl. 5spd. King cab. -STOCK

IMG_0001.jpg

My previous truck was a 2006 Frontier 4cyl 5spd. Lifted 7 inches on 32's with full bolt ons and much more.

SURFING008-1.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a new fuel filter & install it. Bring can of gas. Make sure the brakes are up to par. Couple quarts of oil. Water/coolant.

It would be best to trailer it cuz ther is so many unknowns. Good Luck.

Well made the trek today, or should i say Yesterday... ? :P Ended up driving it home 250 miles with no issues at all. No over heating, no flat tires, no stutters, even hit the HUGE grade on the 5 fwy near Bakersfield with no problems. HOWEVER when i got home and tried to turn it off, it wouldn't turn off... I would pull the key out and it would just continue to try and run. I ended up just popping the clutch to turn it off.

I noticed the idle is also unusually high. Please excuse me if i made any mistakes writing this. ive been up 20 hours on 5 hours of sleep and drove over 600 miles today... Pics to come. Or should i say OICS? I dont know the origin of this trendy word. Care to explain anyone?

DAMN! that thing is clean. What kind of work does it need? Who cares really with a start like that!

Pas. side window wont roll properly

rear view mirror broken

coolant leak

oil leak

bushings all around

steering is has 2" of play left and right

radio is not working

windshield cracked

dash cracked

thats the things off the top of my head. Ill be putting it on a lift this weekend.

Yeah, def replace those bushings then get an alignment. 99% of datsuns leak oil, its common.

As for your steering. Jack the front up in the air, there is an adjustment screw/nut on the steering box. Loosen the nut, tighten the screw, then check your steering. Make sure it can go all the way left, and right. Youll have to adjust it a few times to get it right, and whatever you do don't over tighten it. Can break the gears inside or make them wear to fast. Might help with the slop some...

Is it dieseling when shutting off or actually still running full song?

If it's actually just running with the key off, the issue is usually the voltage regulator. I've had 2 fail that way- they work fine when running, but for some reason feed power back to the IGN circuit so it just keeps going. The alternator light usually comes on at that point (key off engine running).

Dieseling is related to the high idle. If it's a stock carb, it could be the choke is partially shut, or the idle cutoff is disabled (or idle circuit plugged) and the prior owner just cranked up the idle to compensate.

As of now my plans for the truck:

2/3 drop

Beauty rings-Black

Grille-Black

Yellow High Beams

In channel Roof rack (yakima preferably) Need the part numbers if someone has them

Front lip if i can find one

Detail the heck out of it

I might consider doing a rising sun somewhere and also some JDM style fender mirrors

As long as the carb, motor, and tranny are working i wont tinker with that. This will be a weekend/beach/fun project car.

In the end i want a 620 that looks like a beach rig with a little JDM mixed in so people don't forget its origin.

Oh and its staying hooked. (because i like the way they look)

Nice score. :cool:

If you killed it with the clutch you may want to disconnect the battery also so you don't kill the ignition system.

For the steering, with the truck on the ground lay down in front and have a buddy turn the steering wheel from end of play to end of play. You'll see where the slop is. Oh and throw that yellow thing away, it will only mask/muddy any steering issues.

Welcome aboard :D

Is it dieseling when shutting off or actually still running full song?

If it's actually just running with the key off, the issue is usually the voltage regulator. I've had 2 fail that way- they work fine when running, but for some reason feed power back to the IGN circuit so it just keeps going. The alternator light usually comes on at that point (key off engine running).

Dieseling is related to the high idle. If it's a stock carb, it could be the choke is partially shut, or the idle cutoff is disabled (or idle circuit plugged) and the prior owner just cranked up the idle to compensate.

Yeah its just dieseling out. Im Gonna rack it this Saturday and get some issues resolved. Hopefully tune the carb etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Before i do anything as far as mods go, I wanna get this thing in mechanical order.

^^Yeah that shock will probably be switched out sooner or later

Another problem arose today. For some reason the tail lights are stuck on.... I have it sitting in the garage with the battery disconnected, Ill have to tackle it Saturday also... Anyone have any ideas? I have the wiring schematic on hand.

Guest kamakazi620

Another problem arose today. For some reason the tail lights are stuck on.... I have it sitting in the garage with the battery disconnected, Ill have to tackle it Saturday also... Anyone have any ideas? I have the wiring schematic on hand.

the switch has come loose,(had it happen before) when you push the brake down lights come on when switch comes loose the brake lights stay on