Sly Tuna's 74' 620

Silvester

Rear: Installed 3" Blocks, new Monroe shocks, Bump stop trim.

Front: Torsion Bar crank 2", 1974 Ford Pinto front shocks (bushings altered), Bump stop trim

Carrier Bearing: 8" of Square steel tubing (1")

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0170-1.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't be happier with the ride... The front rides amazing and the rear is a tad bit stiffer but not back breaking. Its the perfect ride quality for me (i like to feel the road). Just pulled the drive line out yesterday due to severe vibration while breaking. Ordered a new output shaft seal, u-joints, and center carrier bearing from rockatuo yesterday. The existing drive line was all original. Vibration should cease when new parts are installed.

Update! Blacked out grill, yellowed high beams, black rims.

IMG_0188-1.jpg

IMG_0190-1.jpg

IMG_0184-1.jpg

IMG_0185-1.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

I also cleaned up the engine bay. More pics to come later

Im not liking the black too much. Ill most likely be switching back to blue for the rims

Ok guys... Been searching for a radio install kit for a datsun 620 for the last couple hours. Tried every search feature available... Does anyone have a kit available or am i gonna have to install below the glove box?

There is no radio install kit available for these trucks, as they originally had a shaft style radio, which was already built into the dash. Best and cleanest way, for my taste anyways, is to find a radio delete plate for the stock hole, and then you can either carefully cut the console out (if u have one) and put a DIN stereo in there, or you can buy a box that a DIN stereo mounts in, usually they are for tractors or equipment (up here in the woods) and you can bolt that under the dash and gives it a nice clean look, they are made out of nice ABS black plastic. Please do not sawzall the dash, that is all LOL.

Bill

Have you gotten that JVC radio out yet? Or the bezel (the brown part)

I ask, because if you DID get the bezel out you will have noticed you still can't get the radio out- it comes out through the back. Behind the plastic bezel is a metal dashboard. On the '74 it's one piece, along with the heater control support and the back support for the wiper switch and lighter. Later models had a bolt-in plate, but it still had the 3-hole radio setup unless it was a factory A/C truck (then it had vents running through it).

Really, the only way that radio is coming out is through the back. You either have to remove the glovebox or go up from the bottom, and taking the front cover off the heater AND removing the ashtray bracket helps.

Then starts the decision. You can either cut up BOTH The dashboard AND the bezel to install a CD deck (since it will become very obvious soon that a CD player won't fit there without a lot of cutting) OR you will need to fill the hole left by the radio and install the deck elsewhere.

Since I am extremely loathe to cut up a dash (unless it's already been cut up) I ALWAYS install a CD deck in the console. Of course, a '74 didn't HAVE a console stock, and they also only had the 3-hole cutouts. But it's more common to find consoles already cut up than otherwise intact dash bezels. To fill the hole where the radio went, I usually leave the stock AM radio if I have it... in my '76 I do.

There is no radio install kit available for these trucks, as they originally had a shaft style radio, which was already built into the dash. Best and cleanest way, for my taste anyways, is to find a radio delete plate for the stock hole, and then you can either carefully cut the console out (if u have one) and put a DIN stereo in there, or you can buy a box that a DIN stereo mounts in, usually they are for tractors or equipment (up here in the woods) and you can bolt that under the dash and gives it a nice clean look, they are made out of nice ABS black plastic. Please do not sawzall the dash, that is all LOL.

Bill

Thats what i figured. Ill probably end up leaving the stock radio in place if i don't find a genuine Datsun radio delete plate. Ill mount a din radio right under the dash on the pass. side. Thanks for the input.

@Datsunaholic- I ended up removing it from the back. Thank you for that useful bit of information. I will begin searching for a console, otherwise i will do it under the dash.

Keep scouring the junkyards, i have come across 3 of them the past year, i had one for sale but it got spoken for already. As far as taking the bezel off, thats pretty much not needed, and there are a few more screws that are very hard to get to if it is still a virgin (not having been off before). I found it easier to unplug the wiring and pull the pad and metal assembly off then remove the bezel, alot less chance of damage that way, because that plastic tends to get very very brittle over the years, and I have learned the hard way. BTW, very nice clean 620. I am laughing because of the little things you have gripes with (and dont get me wrong they are legitimate gripes) when most guys here would kill for a clean slate 620 like yours.......hell most of us just want cab mounts and floorboards! Luckily after many moons of searching i found my clean slate..............

Good luck!

Bill