Sly Tuna's 74' 620

Silvester

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE. The 620 started overheating today.,.. No problems on the 250 mile drive home but now it acts up? At least its home. I was driving and saw the temperature hiking so i quickly pulled pulled over to see what was going on. Open the hood and all i saw was a coolant sitting at the front of the block and i heard boiling. Waited to cool down a while and then opened the radiator to see if it still had fluid. Turns out it lost about 2/3 gallon of fluid. (filled it up 3 days ago) i had a gallon of water in the truck so i fulled it up and drove home. I will pressure test the cooling system and also check what my compression is this upcoming tuesday.

I also found this: Can you tell me what this plugged coolant line connects to?

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

This spot leaks about half a shot of coolant everyday.

IMG_0152.jpg

The braided hose was stock and went to where the rubber hose is. The long length was supported by a bracket bolted to the engine block.

Thank you very much, Darrel. I will be asking many questions like this as time goes on. Im eager to tackle the wiring in this thing. There are some random after market speaker wires everywhere. I wanna get it back to stock and work from there.

Quick question. I want to remove the head unit so I can go through all of this after market speaker wire that the previous owner put in. My question is how do i pull that front plate off that includes the HU surround, gauges, etc? I undid the HU knob screws and then undid the 3 screws in each Gauge. Are there any other screws i'm missing? Its 37 years old and i don't want to start yanking on stuff and breaking plastic pieces.

check the switch on the pedal.

Also for dieseling, change from points, to pertronix and

Stock Datsun Carbs suck!

Get a Webber..

Nice truck though...

Welcome to the 620 club!

Quick question. I want to remove the head unit so I can go through all of this after market speaker wire that the previous owner put in. My question is how do i pull that front plate off that includes the HU surround, gauges, etc? I undid the HU knob screws and then undid the 3 screws in each Gauge. Are there any other screws i'm missing? Its 37 years old and i don't want to start yanking on stuff and breaking plastic pieces.

Can you get a pic of what your working with?

By head unit, I assume you mean the stereo?

The gauge bezel (brown piece) is held on with the 3 screws above the gauges,the cigarette lighter-really hard to get loose sometimes,and the wiper switch. be really careful with this,it's really brittle after all these years. Ask me how I know. :(

The lighter is the hardest part. The back part turns to remove it.

My old alternator wasn't charging anything so i ended up doing Saturn alternator swap yesterday. Ill get my volt meter today to see what its charging. Ill probably put it on a vat 40 also. I pulled a P and P alternator from a 99 Saturn. also found a window regulator for my 620. Got out for around $50.

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

Just pulled the truck offthe vat 40. It draws 90 amps baby! Draws about 40 amps at an idle. I also did a peresitic drain test and i confirmed a 350 milliamp drain... Not good! Funny thing is i unplugged the heater relay and the drain dropped down to 13 millamps. (that sounds way better!) Has anyone ever had an unsually large draw coming from the heater relay? Im wondering if the previous owner connected anything to that circuit.

Hello all. Decided to tackle the window Regulator today because it wont roll up straight. I purchased a regulator from the pick and pull for around $10. My question is has anyone ever encountered this issue? Is there a way to fix it without replacement? And if not what the easiest way to replace that regulator? I don't want to go up through the window with it.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Ok guys... Been searching for a radio install kit for a datsun 620 for the last couple hours. Tried every search feature available... Does anyone have a kit available or am i gonna have to install below the glove box?

does anyone know the specs on pinto shocks used to torsion drop the front end? I purchased 1974 ford pinto 2.0l shocks and they were completely different than the datsun ones, not to mention the same length.

Thanks

Silvester