510 Crossmember for SR20DET

Howdy all,

Trying to get things together for my SR swap - Picked up an extra crossmember and now in prep to cut and flip the center section.

Searched around a bit but haven't been able too find to much on the process. Looks pretty straight forward from what I have seen...

Attached are pictures of the jig I just finished. Just looking for some input on anything I might be missing before I cut this thing up...?

Any thoughts???

001.jpg

002.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just flip the crossmember 180 degrees and bolt it back in?

please do not do this, I just pulled one out of a dime that the PO did this. not good they drilled the taper holes out and slotted the mounting holes and had to notch the sides for the LAC's. just not a good way to go. I replaced it with a custom crossmember that I make. this one is a 68/69 one

IMG_20110402_2321261.jpg.

My jig looks like this.

P1010171Small.jpg

P1010181Small.jpg

Just lock it down .

Cut it out strait.

Clean up and the taper the edges.

Weld it back together.

Cut off the extra lip where the sway bar used to go.

Paint it

And you're ready to rock.

(Definitely do not just flip the crossmember 180 degrees and bolt it back in, lol, very bad.)

You can flip the crossmember 180 degrees if you flip the LCA mounting holes. they need to be flipped so that you retain the full strength. You do not want to drill out the holes larger. I flip the LCA pins by hole-saw cutting them out and using a jig reverse them and replace them. There is a inner support structure to the crossmember that you cannot reweld from the outside when you cut and just flip the center section. Some say it doesn't matter, however I thought I would error on the safe side.

Ive flipped a few 510 crossmembers & if i can stress one thing it's this. Mark your vertical cut lines perfectly straight & cut them straight. If you do it makes it easier to weld back together with no gaps. I also go 1 step further & cap the ends for more strength & a cleaner look. My "jig" is about as Ratsun as it gets but it works ;)

np47yw.jpg

j627go.jpg

16aeeeh.jpg

axis01.jpg

21tz81.jpg

You can flip the crossmember 180 degrees if you flip the LCA mounting holes. they need to be flipped so that you retain the full strength. You do not want to drill out the holes larger. I flip the LCA pins by hole-saw cutting them out and using a jig reverse them and replace them. There is a inner support structure to the crossmember that you cannot reweld from the outside when you cut and just flip the center section. Some say it doesn't matter, however I thought I would error on the safe side.

You're right, I do like the hole saw technique also, you just have to make sure they line back up perfect again. Like you said, a jig is a must. Nice job.

Very nice work and thanks for the input guys. A talked to a few guys that just turned it around and cut out the LCA mounts...Removing the center section just seemed like it left a lot less room for error, at least for what I have to work with.

That jig locks it down solid, you can't see it in the pictures but there are also nuts on the back side of the jig that lock it forward against tabs welded to the plate as well.

I like that top mount idea as well and was thinking of adding a top brace. Don't think there will be much (if any) heat shrinkage/movement when I pull it off the jig to weld up the bottom.

What did you all use to make the cuts - I don't have access to a band saw so might have to go with a cut off wheel and a slow hand...

Should be able to cut it up and weld this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

To keep everything (lower control arm bolt holes, crossmember mounting holes, engine mount platforms) aligned when removing and rotating the center section.

ahhhhhh I see...guess ill be bringing my crossmember to someone else. Welding is one thing I do not mess with, especially something that will be holding the heart of the car.

• 9 months later...

Ok...........I know this is an old thread. But I have a crossmember flipping question.

Why not just cut and flip the thing still bolted into the car?? It's already in place, so no need for a Jig right? I guess welding up the bottom could prove problematic but your could cut it, flip it, tack it in place nicely then pull it out to finish welding it.

Am I correct or would the car twist and move if you cut it out in place??

A jig is ez enough I guess. (especially the "welding the bar" technique) Just curious.

if you just tack it in place then remove for finish welding it will tweek from the heat but doing it in the car make sense to me to weld it in the car though i personally like the idea of modifying the oil pan and pickup sure its more work but then everything suspension related is still stock making things in that department alot easier

• Like 2

if you just tack it in place then remove for finish welding it will tweek from the heat but doing it in the car make sense to me to weld it in the car though i personally like the idea of modifying the oil pan and pickup sure its more work but then everything suspension related is still stock making things in that department alot easier

I'd rather, in the end, have a custom oil pan too. But I think it'll be alot more work and headache. More money too. Plus last time I did sheet metal I broke my brand new air shears.....angry.gif

Also I can't find any info on modding the pickup tube.. I get the idea but Can't find any posts or pictures on this. U got any? ??