On advice from counsel name withheld till further notice.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Ted i`ve got some 14" studded snows on zx wheels but i only drive the thing for funs so one of the mini vans can do the real snow bashing..

My sons engine is mostly cleaned and bottom end assembled, all parts cleaned painted and have the head soaking in diesel to clean the carbon so we can give it a valve job.......

So having nothing to do, i finally broke down and hunted all through my crap-pile and found a single point distributor that didn`t have the thick ring at the top ..And installed my Pertronix unit i`ve had for quite awhile..The car does cold start much better now ..( my 5200 doesn`t have a choke ) but it is kinda sad because i really like the mechanical-ness of the points.

.....It just seems weird but im not sure why.. Undying erge to change back to points , growing

Old points distributor

datsun522093.jpg

New Pertronix

datsun522094.jpg

Dangly wires so i can hide them later but it started ...WHAT ...snowing..it was like 55 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday ..And earlier today i was wearing a light coat..

datsun522090.jpg

datsun522091.jpg

And a video of two 16 year old goofballs trying to get it to move in der snow.

It`s weird to look at picture of me holding dizzy without cap because i assembled the unit yesterday, but all these pictures were taken today.

• 2 months later...

My trans was sounding pretty bad so i am going to change it out for the one that came in my sons 78 but trans was very low on oil and bell housing was caked with it . Changed the input shaft seal with the one that was in car and ordered a output seal that will be in sometime next week ..And had to change out the old two piece metal shields for the one piece so changed the rear main seal that was slightly leaking around crank ..

I changed the seal for a Voltron one so being a Star Trek fan im kinda psych-ed to see if it will now go into warp drive.

datsun522328.jpg

datsun522329.jpg

VOLTRON !! :lol:

datsun522330.jpg

mixing and matching to make one non rattling/clanking leaking trans

datsun522331.jpg

and work stopped while neighbor cut down the tree ( right in front of Toyota ) that i dreaded falling on my shed every time the wind got up over 40 mph..this tree being gone is the best part of my year so far. :cool: :cool:

datsun522326.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this whole thing, and well done sir. I too have an orange 4 door I'm trying to work on. Good motivation to keep pluggin away on mine.

Thanks man ..i just built it to have fun zipping around in, and being kinda a beater alot of people can relate to it .. Get yours going and almost every old woman will park and talk to you about driving one to college every time you get gas... If your into that sorta thing.. :lol:

Sunk a bit of money into these the other day ,,Going to build me a L16 Twin cam.. :frantics:

datsun522371.jpg

datsun522372.jpg

datsun522373.jpg

Thanks Bill....Now i need a set of those side drafts you have ten pairs of.. :ninja:

(edit) not the Bill in Oregon everybody hates... the one in Elma that everybody hates..

:rofl:

:rofl:

• 5 weeks later...

Put a new seal in my engine the other day because i thought the voltron one ( i just put in ) was bad ...again . But come to find out it was leaking out the trans input shaft ,,,,,,,,,because i filled trans to high ,,Doh! Also put new seal in other end of 4speed

And also made me a stack of strut rings to get rid of the clamps on all the rigs ,,,someday.. :D

datsun522328.jpg

datsun522361.jpg

datsun522363.jpg

datsun522362.jpg

And a Oreilly`s u-joint was installed

datsun522364.jpg

What's the story on the new heads and diff? My kinda build. Cheap as hell. And I cant wait till my boys can mow our 3.5 acres.

The heads machined / trued up top and bottom,,, to fix our orange 4 door my brother is fixing up, that we think is dropping a seat or has a sticking valve ,,intermittent extremely weird running and crazy vacuum gauge readings that come and go.. One is to drop on a L16 i just picked up so my brother can just drive over throw a engine in and be back driving in a few hours and the other is for a bigger engine L18 or L20b ( haven`t decided which one yet ) we have a few of that will eventually power it in the future....

......The rear end was to fix a really loud howl i have been living with since building car, before going to Canby show, which is only 160 or so miles away but it was really loud..

Good luck with the mowing, my suggestion would be keep a cold drink handy to soothe your throat after the " motivational " speech you may have to give..... :lol:

Video keeps disappearing and reappearing ,, so to not freak me out i deleted it for now.

Ordered this about noon yesterday and it finally came in the mail , a little but ago, they musta given the ole snail some go powder yesterday.... I have never had a speedo in car since i built it and didn`t want to steal it off the the 2door...So maybe small update to you but major to the car

FAT510001.jpg

FAT510004-1.jpg

511385_o.gif

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

ChaiOrangeovara,,

I think my wheels are a minilite knock off ,,because they dont say western wheels on them but i got a real good deal on them...My sons 14" wheels have western cast into them ...but i traded pretty heavy to get them for that reason...

Stole this L16 engine from JrockLips to just stick right into this cars sister ship ( no build thread ) for Canby road trip.. But my asshole brother was being an asshole. So it was just sitting there and i have a newly trued up 210 head, with a U20 cam, that was going to be put on engine that`s in his car now ,,,before he changed his fucking mind.....Anyways pulled head off then thought ,,, why not just do the front cover while im at it ....So this " drop in " engine is now sporting a new head and complete gasket job... :lol:

..... He does most of the work on his 510 his self but i have all the engine toooools so i gots him as a captive return customer....

Before you bitch about gasket sealer ...i have had to many leak at the top of front cover to never use sealer there...AND the fucking gaskets are blue so camera picks it up as a shit load of sealer BUT it`s not..

Gonna drop this in this weekend..

FAT510001-1-1.jpg

FAT510003-1.jpg

FAT510006.jpg

FAT510005.jpg

Figured out the real problem was previous owner had used WAY to many head bolts. and a door handle...WTF!

FAT510004-2.jpg

Ratsunland_1.jpg

thanks for fixing the colors on this for me you little bastard.

• Like 1

Put car on my old school diagnostic machine,, to check timing , because i had never actually checked it after i installed Pertronix ignitor a few months ago..i backed it off to 10 degrees and hated how it felt at low speeds so i moved it around 13 -14 depending on how accurate my old Sun machine is.. :huh: ...

I replaced my drilled out jets the carb had ( it was used on my pinto circle track car a hundred years ago,, lol ) , with some from a stock carb i had, to try and lean it out a bit, even though carb i took them from was jetted for a 2300,,,.It does smell a little less smokey ..

...I am not sure what good emission results are, and i search the hell outta Google but can`t seem to find chart . but from what i HAVE found i think the results are within reasonable tolerances

CO2---------12.9 13.1

CO------------299 I think im missing a decimal point but i would have had to warm that tester back up to find out...

HC-------------139

Car on life support

FAT510001-2.jpg

And getting an enema

FAT510002.jpg

Lol Micro...,,Bill Nye the science guuuy Bill , Bill , Bill

Yeah Dat510 what he said , i had it tuned by ear forever since i was running points ,,even setting timing didn`t matter cuz it changes constantly ,, albeit very slowly ,, but it still did over time so i ran initial WAY out there,, I thought since i changed over to Electronic i might as well finally take advantage of the benefits of it , one being timing never changes...What your pumping out the exhaust is a good indication of how efficient your engine is working.....or not.

.....But not actually knowing what perfect baseline marks are,, kinda throws a monkey wrench in my spokes though....lol.

Who you callin a stoich?....

No emissions here for anything even newer cars.

• 1 month later...

So i didn`t want to start a build thread yet for a car that is at least a year probably two,,,, but this is what it will be powered by hopefully with twin webers but i think the fuel injection would be a better all season car...And LittleJason says he thinks i could just eliminate the VIS for better flow...Next time you see this it will be running on an engine stand...Maybe. :lol:

Just to calm the natives a bit i thought i better add,,, not a 510 .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws4og-ELf1c

• 2 weeks later...

So i wanted to install a new stereo but one of the speakers didn`t work and the factory service manual said to trace all the wires,,, so i did.. Does anybody know where the yellow with black stripe wire goes??

FAT510004_zpsb794b5e6.jpg

FAT510003_zps139774d9.jpg

Pictures are of MR2 in the video above.

Now i have to spread it out on floor and delete, delete, delete,, then stick in on the test stand and hope i didn`t delete to much...lol

..It`s funny how you can get so excited about a project even though it is so far in the future it woudn`t even justify making it`s own thread..

Holes to get whole fuse blocks through body.

FAT510005_zps6e2b508b.jpg

FAT510006_zps35b27f99.jpg

Replaced my passenger side u-joints for Mt. Rainer cruise tomorrows ,, Why does such a simple job take so much out of you.?? Does any body else think to themselves after finishing,,,? " if i ever win the lottery i'm going to have some else do this for me"

FAT510002-1.jpg

FAT510001-3.jpg

was so quiet i almost fell asleep under there

FAT510003-3.jpg

I need to do that too... did it suck? How long did it take you to complete the ujoint from removal to re-installation?

wish that last pic wasn't so dark. Also, what lube/ grease did you use to fill the ujoints?

It only takes a couple good 14mm wrenches and a jack so you can jack up and rotate to get at nuts easier...BUT you need a real big vice to put them back in carefully....My family has a farm,, so i steal a food grade grease from my dad, notice the red in oics that`s the grease color,,, i know it`s good because they use it on all their heavy equipment..And if i ever break down in a desert island i can eat the u-joints till help arrives :D ....It took me half the day because the u-joint i used was in my tool box forever and the zerk fitting was MIA so i searched for a different one for,,what seemed like hours.