On advice from counsel name withheld till further notice.

i heard u mentioned at the end "sanded down and talk of paint......"

is the death wagon receiving a new blanket of stealth?

side note what the 411 owners name ...i used to sell him paint for years......missing a ear i believe.....im terrible with names, u know what i mean anthony...

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Naw car in back shed is toyota that used to be FAT510s back-up vehicle but his brother turned 15 in March so we needed to get on the ball about getting him wheels ,, and he turned his nose up at 620s which are going cheap lately,, so like his brother ,, we can do the learners permit in the actual car he will end up driving... And it had so gargantuan holes we filled with POR15 soaked fiberglass mat.....alot of mat.. :rofl:

TrackFBallMisc002_zps6d1c265d.jpg

TrackFBallMisc003_zps838f529c.jpg

Not done but ( kind of after ) there was just as big of holes by tail lights

TrackFBallMisc003_zpsd88a08ab.jpg

TrackFBallMisc004_zps8b8320ee.jpg

Dudes name is Von,,,, but his family calls him Jay-Jay so i call him that......................but everyone knew her as Nancy.

• 1 month later...

Finally got that celica painted and out of the garage ,, man that thing was in there for months.!!

My brother wanted better seats for his 510 so i bit the bullet and welded him up some mr2 seats today,, i must say they are pretty comfy.

First the seats that didn`t make the cut

Track051013retry1008_zpsa1681705.jpg

Track051013retry1009_zps4fce454e.jpg

Drill, cut, weld ,,,,,, cut,  line-up,  weld done

Track051013retry1001_zps1d83c5d2.jpg

Track051013retry1002_zps521ddc15.jpg

Track051013retry1005_zps3e2f5903.jpg

Track051013retry1006_zpsbee64397.jpg

JIG to line up rather than measure over and over before welding

Track051013retry1007_zpsf520d950.jpg

test fit in my car but his obviously looks similar

Track051013retry1004_zps9677ecf4.jpg

Track051013retry1003_zpscc923783.jpg

And for posterity this is how the celica ( Bondo/ rust hole pictures above pictures) turned out,,, and the boys actually helped quite a bit with the prepping and painting which is all a dad can really ask for..

Track051013retry1011_zps354096d7.jpg

Track051013retry1010_zps141a72fc.jpg

• Like 1

Now with more speeds!!!

I switched out the 5speed in the 720 (above) for the original 4speed laying in the bed ,,  took the short 4speed outta the 510 and bolted in the long tail .. It is for the most part done but needs fluid that i dont have tonight ,, and the hole in floor fit-n-finished..

first i used the search button and found C boad posted driveline lengths in tr8ers build and had my unit cut down using his measurements..

Welcome to Ratsun tr8er! :thumbup:

We'll get you sorted.

Regarding driveshafts:

159DSCF0619.JPG

here are four with some specs:

top : sedan shortened for z 5spd - 37 3/8" between yoke centers (~5 3/16 shorter than stock)

next : sedan stock - 42 9/16" between yoke centers

next : wagon shortened (and re-tubed) for z 5spd - 43 11/16" between yoke centers (5 3/16" shorter than stock)

bottom : wagon stock. - 48 7/8" between yoke centers. Note larger diameter than sedan

It's a bit of a stretch to use a stock sedan driveline on a wagon with a long tail 5spd.

--carter

My old one and cut down one together.

Track051013retry1008_zps3515e42b.jpg

I also bought a trans mount from David in South Park ,, he makes the ones that you see on Ebay http://vg30.com/   but i was in the area and just bought it in person.

The guy i bought the truck from said he installed a new clutch but had never driven it,,, the disc still has stencil on it so i am believing it,,

Track051013retry1002_zps24490652.jpg

Track051013retry1006_zps43ef39bc.jpg

Here`s the old 4speeder and clutch that had only been in 510 for 2 years, ,, oh and the raggedy shifter ,,

Track051013retry1007_zpsaa80b814.jpg

Track051013retry1005_zps49975be1.jpg

Track051013retry1003_zps9e02e1c3.jpg

Trans in position with new crossmember ,,, wooo hooo!!

Track051013retry1010_zpsd5db72c8.jpg

Track051013retry1009_zps443ff369.jpg

On the Ebay ad he says that the crossmember wont fit a 71 because the floor bolts aren`t the same as all the rest ,,,but,, i bought it to save time anyway , and it fit just fine..

Car build date was 11/71  so it might be changed early for 72 model year .....IDK

I drove the car around last night and noticed that it had quite a bit more/easy  take off power now,,, the gearing in the 5speed must be a lower first gear than the 4speed .. This makes me happy cuz i don`t really do long distances as much as around town/city  puttering..
... The trans does have a slight high pitched whine in 5th under load but i aint pulling that bitch out till after it`s trip to " the show" to see it`s cousins..

Anyways,,,,,,,, all in all it really quieted down the car at 60-65 and that to me is____ :wub:_____ So thanks to all the knowledgable tranny guys / Datsun heads on here,  that i stole most of my info from..

http://timeanddate.com/s/2dcw

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was out taking pictures of catch jug for another thread ,, so i thought i would take some with the wifes beater mobile 88 supra turbo..

That may or may not be a 20 megaton bomb shelter in the background.

Grad_Alki007_zps9a27bd4e.jpg

Grad_Alki008_zps487f6dc7.jpg

Grad_Alki009_zpsd9a0c3b5.jpg

This is probably being parted but may get 3 inch body lift ,,,, probably not though.. We put back together one of the carbs included couldn`t figure out why it ran so messed up after flattening carb spacer... but the jets were missing also... PO had gotten truck from dad and really needed to get it out of mini storage ,, and installed 5speed ( which in my opinion this year truck doesn`t really need ),, but the clutch master and the slave were completely rusted solid ,, I had a couple spares so that worked out too...

... Like i said probably going to part the body out and keep the engine , 5speed , matchbox distributor and brand new Weber that came with it so didn`t want start this thing it`s own build thread..... i think since son never changed title into his name this is a one owner truck for real..

Carb spacer ,, had to beat and file this thing for a long time to straighten it out.....Warp was bigger on flat surface but hard to get good pic on mirror.

TrackFBallMisc005_zps4e026373.jpg

TrackFBallMisc001_zpsfca5151f.jpg

First battery tray

TrackFBallMisc004_zps21ce82a5.jpg

My son (FAT510)  adjusting the valves

TrackFBallMisc005_zpsca8a4fe9.jpg

TrackFBallMisc006_zpsab3e843b.jpg

TrackFBallMisc007_zps25a1c17e.jpg

TrackFBallMisc009_zps296588bc.jpg

TrackFBallMisc008_zps1ceac420.jpg

We may do this to make a logging roads rig ( we live 2 miles from a state forest)

TrackFBallMisc010_zps72637299.jpg

TrackFBallMisc011_zps46efed4a.jpg

Battery tray fix after we found it ran and changed out all clutch hydraulics..

TrackFBallMisc012_zpsf2ec8151.jpg

TrackFBallMisc013_zpsbd58b458.jpg

Gotta love seeing professionals at work

• Like 1

Yes thank you our mechanics were factory trained at Fiat,,  so they bring their knowledge of quality to every project..

:rofl:

But are those WA license plates and plywood used to patch the battery area from here or cheap Chinese copies?

The bill of lading stated that the plywood was made of wood from the black forests of Bravaria, and held together by resins collected in the depths of the Amazon rain forest just outside a place called El Pegajoso ass madeira.. The plates however were made right here in the good ole US of A  in an exclusive gated community of workers, known to the locals of the nearby town of Shelton only as "The Pen" .

• 1 month later...

So i thought one of my tires was outta balance a little bit ( Tdaaj even commented if something was going to fall off when he rode in it a few months ago ) but when i went to pick-up my son from the school today it was way worse than it had been before.. We drove 70+ on the way home and at that speed it wasn`t all that bad but when i got home I jacked it up and this is what it looked like..

doh!

Tread getting ready to fly off

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping002_zps8bd66356.j[/url]

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping003_zpsa147e20c.j

I have a set of 4 of those 13" tires in the shed,, but since it is almost winter ,, i thought i would just steal the zx wheels my son bought from Dblist a while ago.. The tires only came with 2 tires so i figured i would just use some i had on some Audi wheels (on left) laying around .

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping010_zpsb3bc14cb.j

,,,, seemed like a fool proof plan, right??

Well apparently my son FAT510 and his buddy used my fucking Harbor Freight tire changer and completely fucked up my fucking bar fucking thing and didn`t say a fucking word about it..

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping004_zpsb901ad7f.j

So i had to cut the ends off the old bar and cut a pipe out of the gate thing i have laying around,, and weld it up to actually work,,

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping006_zps9a40eefa.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping007_zps369541d6.j

It is thicker pipe so it might last longer this time ,,,Chinacorp one is on the right

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping008_zpsf0ecf633.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping009_zps2ae3eb4e.j

Eventually i got done

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping012_zps94efe7b0.j

i hate them already.

;)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the railroad..

The wheels on my dads track cars are so old and compound that with the salt air at the coast get "flats" because the metal is so fatigued.. Carts are used to carry cranberry sacks from the field so there`s maybe 1500 pounds on them at times... anyways, I had the centers blasted so i could cut the center out of bad wheel and weld it into the one that had already been re-hooped ,, but when i got them ready to go found the welds on "good" one were unsaveable,, so i cut hoop off and welded it to the "bad" one.. This did eliminate me have to make another jig to center the bolt holes.

And then i welded the fuck outta that bitch..

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping003_zpsd8bcfaf4.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping002_zps66e8d0bb.j

Cut hoop off this one ,, notice different hole pattern

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping001_zps2b28452b.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping004_zpsdfe2a4ef.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping006_zps0763a9f5.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping007_zps91e90e73.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping010_zpsa01043c3.j

Since it was hot the last few days i welded it in my shorts and got a vicious sunburn on the inside of my leg... :rofl: :rofl:

Datsun content to keep this build thread on-track ,,,,,, get it?  On track

These are the jokes fellas

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping011_zps7c9cadf3.j

93343ca5-9eef-4cd2-9930-0f3146408fe6_zps