Project "Parts Car" Resurrection

Lookin' good, nice build. You can sell me your American Racing mags now you've taken them off :)

I probably would, but they'll be going on again at the end of summer. I don't wanna get my mags all oxidized again in the winter.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok guys... I gotta ask... How the hell do you guys get your cars to drive when you slam em'? My car had new rear U-Joints installed about 12,000 miles ago, so I decided to try putting the car back down low in the rear and as soon as I hit about 30mph the car started getting a BAD case of the shakes again, so I had to put the tall, stock length rear springs back in the car. I want to drop the rear, but it has to be driveable. Do you guys just drive em' with em' shaking to pieces or what? I've seen some of the cars on here like "RUBY" dragging the pumpkin, I can't get the car to drive with like 4 or 5 inches of "pumpkin" clearance. Is it just my car or what? HELP!!! I wanna be moar lower... :console:

The lowest I can drive any 510 is 3" at the front crossmember .... . any lower is just stupid

I have driven under 30mph with the front X-member at 2.5", and the front rocker panel seam was at 4" off the ground, while the rear was only 3.5", on Phil's old cut springs, and it drove like crap .. It's is WAY more fun to drive 1" higher in the front/back with #225 coilovers ... . it's less than an inch between tolerable and un-driveable .... higher=more fun/safer

Maybe your half shafts are out of balance? I have run my car way low in the back without issues on old ujoints too.

Hmmmm.... I had the shafts rebuilt at a shop, I would of thought they would be balanced. I have no vibration when the car is set up with the shaft at a strait angle between the pumpkin and the hub.Heck, the car drove great without an issue all the way from St. Louis to Long Beach for the JCCS, two years in a row! I really just want the car to sit level front to back and not have the raked look anymore. The car drives good right now, I'm just tired of the ass end sitting higher than the front. :sick:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok, since the race wagon is in the frame shop I decided to work on this car yesterday. It's been running really rough, so I rebuilt the carb.

It's still running rough. It starts right up but it stalls out in gear. I'm thinking maybe the spark plugs? Points show wear, but aren't burnt through. Any ideas?

Ok, i'll try plugs first.

It sounds dumb, but I only run points, because I drive this car on road trips. I had a ei dizzy short out once and left me stranded. I keep extra points in the glove box and can change em in 10 minutes. Plus I have a stock pile of points. Hahaha... People keep giving em away. ;)

Well I put some fresh NGK's in it today and shazam.... It's running as good as it always did. I still have a BAD stall out/hesitation when I floor it though. It's always had this problem. I'm sure it's a jetting issue, butt this is a used, very used weber 32/36 and i'm sure the original jets are loooonnng gone. If anyone happens to know what jets they are running in a stock L16 with a weber 32/36 that runs correctly... It would be awesome. Don't get me wrong, this car starts up and runs decent as long as I play with the gas pedal a little when I drive it. I've driven it to california and back twice now with it running as is, but I'd love to make it right. ;)