Project "Parts Car" Resurrection

Just a quick update... I spent the day taking out these...

rearaxles002.jpg

And Installing these...

rearaxles001.jpg

They sure are shiny and pretty :D

Hopefully my car will loose the "bad" vibrations now and I can drop the rear end back down in the weeds where it "belongs" :D

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my first tank of gas with all the new U-joints, axles, driveshafts etc. installed and I was pleasantly surprised when I figured out my gas mileage. 286 miles on 11 gallons of gas = 26mpg and I usually run about 70mph, so I could probably push 30mpg if I slowed it down. :rolleyes: Who'd of thought that new u joints would give me 2 or 3 more per gallon? I guess the easier it is to turn the wheels... blah blah blah... :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

No problem man, I'm really diggin how nice those things turned out. And how much were you saying it cost to have them rebuild em? And nice on the gas mileage man! Man that makes me even more excited for eventually getting a wagon haha. Man I need to get the 4 door back up n runnin

anthony

• 3 months later...

Well, here I go again... I've been driving the wheels off this car and I've put about 22,000 miles on it in the last six months.

I just got those mag wheels polished up and got tires mounted on em'. :thumbup: So... I figured it was time for an update.

New OIC'S coming soon. :w00t:

Ok, here we go...

First off I had to show off the antenna ball my girlfriend bought me for this car. It's pretty fitting...

MagWheelsonprojectpartscar007.jpg

Mag wheels all polished up...

MagWheelsonprojectpartscar001.jpg

Close up of the mag wheel polished up with rubber installed... :D

MagWheelsonprojectpartscar009.jpg

Here's a few pics of the car as it is now, I'll be posting better pics again when I get a chance.

MagWheelsonprojectpartscar002.jpg

MagWheelsonprojectpartscar003.jpg

MagWheelsonprojectpartscar004.jpg

MagWheelsonprojectpartscar005.jpg

MagWheelsonprojectpartscar006.jpg

I personally hate "driveway" photos, but it's better than nothing. :P

There's just something I love about mag wheels on a 510. :wub: I think it's a look that's almost impossible to beat.

At least I've revived the thread. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I probably should of posted this in electrical, but we all know the Project Datto page gets the most attention...

Anyway, I stopped at a stop light yesterday and the guy in the truck behind me honks at me and says "HEY YOU DON'T HAVE ANY BRAKE LIGHTS!!!"

Soooo.... I drove the car home and sure enough, he was right. I had no brake lights. I got out my handy dandy circuit tester and found that there was no power to the pedal switch under the dash. I fooled around for a while and it started to get dark, so I started up my car and turned on all my lights, so as not to get hit by a car going by. (I was parked in the street). Then all of a sudden I got power to my brake light switch, so then pretty soon I realized that I only have power to my brake light switch when my headlights are turned on! :confused: As soon as I turn off my headlights, the switch gets no power.

I have a checked my fuzes and they all have power, except my R. Lights, L. Lights and horn when the lights are off. When I turn the headlights on I get power to EVERY FUZE :confused: . Now I realize that the R. and L. light fuzes are probably not suppose to power up till I turn on the headlights, but what the hell would cause the HORN FUZE not to have power? I'm guessing that the horn and brake lights share the same fuze and that is where my problem is.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I can drive with my headlights on all the time (like a dork) if that's what it takes, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. I also realize I could simply run another wire to the brake light switch with an "in-line fuze" and bypass the factory wire, I'd just rather do it the right way. :P

The brake light is powered off of the Horn Fuse. I just went through a dead fuse in my car that made my brake light not work. The Horn fuse is supposed to be constant power, not really sure why it is not. Either corrosion, or a missmatch of harness and fusebox.

Thanks Laecaon, I'll try pulling the fuze box loose. Maybe I have a bad or corroded connection in/under it. My brake lights worked fine up until recently, as I have been driving this car or 1 1/2 years.

Ok, so I went outside and worked on this brakelight issue for a while. (damn it's hot out there) Anyway, I pulled off the fuze box and looked underneath it. WHAT A MESS!!! It looks like some of the wires have been broken in the past and then spliced and soldered back together really poorly and sloppy. It does however look to be making good connections. I plan to replace it anyway, since it is a fire hazzard. I may have another fuze box to put in there if it will work.(It's 60 miles away though)

Is a 1971 510 Wagon fuze box the same as a 4 door 1971 fuze box? I tried to put a 1972 4 door box in, but it didn't work in the 1971. I'm guessing this is one of those few things that has to be year specific.

My brake lights still only work when my head lights are on, so I really need to fix this.

I've never done anything to it electrical, other than changing the plug terminals on the high beams to fit the Mercedes bulbs. My guess is that the P.O. screwed something up. I guess it's possible I've been driving with no brake lights for a long time and never knew it. :crying:

I was going to take the car and pay to get it painted and then I started looking at some of the home done paint jobs and thought screw it, I paint all my race cars, so why not paint this car.... So I got on the Rustoleum site and found what I wanted for paint and ordered it. This is the build that made me decide to do it myself...

610 street demon resurection

Paint.jpg

I usually buy the cheaper line of this paint for my race cars, but I decided to "splurge" and buy the good stuff. I usually get really good results on my race cars and I don't do much "prepping" on those. I figure if I spend a couple days prepping the car it should turn out pretty good. I'm going with black. We use this same paint only in a spray can at work and get great results, this should look really good coming out of a paint gun. :D