Project "Parts Car" Resurrection

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

glad you like them. I still reserve the right to buy them back if you ever decide to sell them

I'm not planning to sell em' any time soon. I do have a set of the 46mm SU with L16 intake though, if you ever want em'. I'll give ya first dibs. They probably need rebuilt though.

Thanks again, they really work great!!! :thumbup:  These SU carbs have given me a whole new outlook on this car. I'm all jacked up on Datto Fumes and can't hardly wait to get back to working on the body to make it look nice.

• Like 1

I'm not planning to sell em' any time soon. I do have a set of the 46mm SU with L16 intake though, if you ever want em'. I'll give ya first dibs. They probably need rebuilt though.

Thanks again, they really work great!!! :thumbup:  These SU carbs have given me a whole new outlook on this car. I'm all jacked up on Datto Fumes and can't hardly wait to get back to working on the body to make it look nice.

46mm eh, those are 240z carbs?

It's not surprising your happy with the SU's. I had a set on my last truck and absolutely LOVED them. I didn't do any tuning other than having Steve @ Z Therapy tune them for me. They pulled awesome!

I

f you decide to sell the 46mm SU setup, and Z Chopper doesn't want them, I would be very interested. Those would be nice with the cam I'm looking at for my current truck.

ok, I'll keep ya in mind.

And ya... I can tell a huge difference with the car having the SU carbs. This car is an Autotragic Trans car and if that's not bad enough, I installed an R180 rear end with 3.36 gears for better highway revs and fuel mileage. It now has enough pulling power that if I "brake torque" the car it pushes the car forward and the brakes won't hold it. It can't spin the tires, but the old carb just bogged down if I did that. hahahaha :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Truly the whole point of this car is to be a nice freeway flier, so to speak and a good commuter car for work. :thumbup:

• Like 1

It's not surprising your happy with the SU's. I had a set on my last truck and absolutely LOVED them. I didn't do any tuning other than having Steve @ Z Therapy tune them for me. They pulled awesome!

I

f you decide to sell the 46mm SU setup, and Z Chopper doesn't want them, I would be very interested. Those would be nice with the cam I'm looking at for my current truck.

I am very interested in them. I have a line on a NAPZ 2.2 and an L series head along with a few other items to build an LZ 2.2 hybrid and love SU carbs

ok, it's in the 20's outside and now the car just plain won't start. Choke, no choke, starting fluid, whatever.... I used 10w40 oil in the oil cups of the carbs, but I can't see that being an issue, as I drove an MGB Roadster for years in this type of weather and I used 20W50 oil in those SU carbs. Any ideas? It was starting with a tap of the key on Wednesday :confused:

:hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm: Duhhhhhh.... I put new spark plugs in it and it fired right up! :thumbup:  Apparently I fouled the plugs trying to start it in freezing temps without the chokes hooked up. :sick:  I've got em' working now and it starts great. :thumbup:

• Like 1

:hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm: Duhhhhhh.... I put new spark plugs in it and it fired right up! :thumbup:  Apparently I fouled the plugs trying to start it in freezing temps without the chokes hooked up. :sick:  I've got em' working now and it starts great. :thumbup:

might be an idea to install a block heater too along with the choke

I'm highly considering ordering an Ermish CV kit for the rear of this car when my income tax comes in, so I can slam it and still have it driveable. Has anyone on here bought one of these kits  for a street car and how good did it work out?

CVkitErmish_zps7756d192.jpg

Ok... Who's the Photoshop expert here? I don't know how to do it and I'd love to see a rendition of my car in stock butterscotch paint, ZG flairs, carbon fiber hood, with a flat black stripe along the bottom 6 inches across the rocker panel areas under the doors. I'm planning to run my American Racing Turbine wheels again when I paint it too. :)

I've settled on that for a paint scheme, but wanna see it before I drop a bunch of $$$$$ on it.

I'm sure there's a good pic someone can use from this thread. :)

Anyone have a good used gas filler door for this car? Mine is broken and the hinge is missing. I need one at a Ratsun price :poke:

I found a NOS filler door on Fleebay! I over paid, but the hinge will be nice and tight and should last a life time. :)

Gonna heat up the garage and start body work this weekend :) :) :)

I already pulled the fenders, gonna pull the hood tonight, then start working on the rear quarters and redoing the old body work on the doors etc...

This Look has been fun, and gotten this car TONS of attention,  but I've grown tired of it and I think the car deserves better. It's been good to me, so it's time to show it some real love. :wub:

Slammed71Datsun510_zpsbc3b1520.jpg

I'm probably gonna put these wheels back on the car after the "face lift". They'll go better with the "theme" of the build than the old school mags.

Some pics of my main problem areas :sick: , as I blast this thing apart to do the repairs before she gets a face lift :thumbup:

Badly rusted spot on front valance

IMAG0050_zps66dd7ece.jpg

corner of rear quarter dented/damaged and rear bumper rust

IMAG0049_zpseef6ec18.jpg

rusted out upper frame area (under fender)

IMAG0051_zps2076e0a1.jpg

Hood is basically, just "rough" and needs a lot of sanding and smoothing before paint can happen.

IMAG0052_zpsd38e46a9.jpg

Passenger rear quarter is "mildly" rusted :rofl:

IMAG0047_zps248790b8.jpg

Passenger door has old cracked sketchy body work/repairs that's gotta come out and be re-repaired correctly. :sick:

IMAG0045_zpsaa972dbb.jpg

drivers rear quarter, also "mildly" rusted :rofl:

IMAG0048_zps398419a5.jpg

Drivers front upper frame area, under fender, badly rusted and needing repair.

IMAG0044_zps55cf665e.jpg

Repairs coming soon :thumbup:

Thanks, I'm still planning to do the CV axle kit, so I should be able to slam this thing again and hopefully not have any more "bad vibrations" like I had with the U-Joint axles when I layed it down low. I'm not overly concerned with the rear camber issue either, as I found a company on the web selling "cambered" tires for just this type of application. :thumbup:

I love the look of this car when it's way down low :devil:

It was a busy day in the Datto garage, here at the house. :D

pulled the back door to remove the paint and start repairing old damage.

IMAG0053_zpse426652d.jpg

IMAG0056_zps46e23b3f.jpg

tail lights out...

IMAG0054_zpsd96dcd43.jpg

Rusted bumper off (that was a bitch)

IMAG0055_zps7cc25c26.jpg

Nasty rust hole :sick:

IMAG0057_zpsae7ba5dd.jpg

IMAG0058_zps0208d31e.jpg

Patch piece made :w00t:

IMAG0060_zps6a0c9116.jpg

bigger rust hole :sick:

IMAG0061_zps0c6a73f7.jpg

My buddy Jeff doing some welding on the patch panels. :ninja:

IMAG0063_zpsd8e9a313.jpg

Blurry picture, but it's of the windshield being removed. :thumbup:

IMAG0064_zps80ea8e69.jpg

Passenger rust hole all closed up. Just needs some trimming and finishing, etc...

IMAG0065_zpsa118916e.jpg

Drivers side all patched up, just needs finishing up. :thumbup:

IMAG0066_zps5216d47c.jpg

All in all a very productive day. More to come soon. :devil:

• Like 2